Wax or leave it alone.

So, PA, if I find a dirty Picasso at an estate sale, I'm advised to take it down to the canvas and paint it? Not me, I still prefer history to contemporary remake, sorry but that's just me. 

I always use Mother Metal Polish. They make some specifically for paint, but the metal polish is what I use on all of my older stuff.

However, if you choose to use one specifically for paint, Mothers or Meguiars are both good products.

Edited by 59bisquik

I'm a little more of the opinion that if you don't like patina, you don't really like "old" cars, but old cars that look like new.  Patina is great if it's right.... 3/4 rust and only 1/4 paint isn't patina, it's rust and more a rat rod...best thing about old cars, you can like what suits you, drive what suits you, and at shows look at what suits you

Let's add transmission swaps to this topic and see where it goes ... !

I have a daily driver that has a "fair" paint job that is over 30 years old. You could interpret it as a light form of patina, I guess. There's small rust spots here and there, and I've painted panels with rattle cans and had other panels painted in a shop when it was necessary. The truck was completely oxidized when i got it. I use just Meguire's cleaner wax about once a year and that's it. It removes oxidation and waxes at the same time. Perfect for a driver. It makes the truck look a lot better than when it's oxidized, that's for sure. 

I had primer spots for a while to cover some of the rust on the hood but couldn't stand it, so had the hood painted. The truck looks ok from 50 feet, there is no primer, and no huge rust spots. All just two colors of its two-tone paint job. one day this truck will be painted, to make it right, and preserve it properly, so it can start the clock on another 50 years of weathering.

• Like 4

On 6/23/2017 at 4:02 PM, John-T-53 said:

Let's add transmission swaps to this topic and see where it goes ... !

I have a daily driver that has a "fair" paint job that is over 30 years old. You could interpret it as a light form of patina, I guess. There's small rust spots here and there, and I've painted panels with rattle cans and had other panels painted in a shop when it was necessary. The truck was completely oxidized when i got it. I use just Meguire's cleaner wax about once a year and that's it. It removes oxidation and waxes at the same time. Perfect for a driver. It makes the truck look a lot better than when it's oxidized, that's for sure. 

I had primer spots for a while to cover some of the rust on the hood but couldn't stand it, so had the hood painted. The truck looks ok from 50 feet, there is no primer, and no huge rust spots. All just two colors of its two-tone paint job. one day this truck will be painted, to make it right, and preserve it properly, so it can start the clock on another 50 years of weathering.

deleted

Edited by Don Coatney

On 6/23/2017 at 3:56 PM, Don Coatney said:

Well said John. Paul should do the same with his truck.

Sometimes the old dog just Does not want to learn new tricks!

DJ

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 11:03 AM, bambamshere said:

So I am trying to decide if I want to wax my truck or leave it the way it is. I have washed it a few times now. As a buddy of mine tells me it's patina. 

My question would you wax or leave the patina. 

20170619_092108~01.jpg

Looking again at the first (OP) post, this is a really nice looking truck. the paint is in good shape, as least from the distance the photo was taken. Give 'er some love with cleaner wax. If you want the extra step, polishing (not rubbing) compound first. That's it. 

If this were my truck, I'd also paint the wheels, front bumper, and running boards to make it 'pop' just that extra bit, and turn the RWL tires around so you have blackwalls on the outside. Boom.

• Like 4

On 6/21/2017 at 7:24 PM, greg g said:

Three words!  Boiled Linseed Oil. Preserve, protect, has a semi gloss sheen.  Popular with antique farm implement and tool folks, and Antiquers too.

507726.jpg

507727.jpg

Check you tube there are a couple bids. One even is a dodge truck.

I did rubbing compound and clr to remove rust and oxidation then boiled linseed oil  to protect.

20170617_174815.jpg

• Like 3

I was outside looking at my truck a few minutes ago. I was looking at the paint and was wondering how hard it would be to get the old grime off and took my finger and what ever is on it wiped right off. Before I do anything it will get another bath. It isn't pitena it is just dust that has been sitting on it for a real long time. There is a lot of dull shine to a lot of the body. Just need to get that dust off. Maybe a little stiffer brush and water might do the trick and then start with a clean truck. 

Stiffer brush means more scratches and even duller paint...if it needs a serious bath, get a good car washing sponge with the bug cleaning rough side, some quality cleaner and hand wash it in hot as water as you can stand, and then a hot pressure wash if possible.  After that, spend $50 at Princess Auto (Canadian Harbour Freight) and buy a polisher and gets some Mothers or even the NuFinish and buff it.  

• 1 month later...

I love all the different opinions posted so far.... I personally like both original patina and restoration paint.. as long as you drive it and enjoy it I do not see a big issue with either. When I purchased my truck it had been completely restored at some point in the past. Do not know if it was a barn find or a rust project before the restoration but I do know that someone enjoyed it and spent some time/ energy and money keeping it running. I think that is the main reason we are all on this forum in the first place. Since my truck has no patina or original paint It will be repainted shortly. 

I found out today that someone painted the doors of the truck. Not sure if it was done professionally or not. It has stayed on it for a long time so like I said not sure. 

If I paint it I'm going to paint it the same color it is now. 

Well the cab was done this weekend. That rubbing compound is flipping had to take off. Wish there was a easier way to get it off but I guess it's worth it. Took 3 days to do it by hand. I tried a polished and it started to scratch paint and that was at 2nd speed.

IMG_20170808_072455.jpg

• Like 7