Wax or leave it alone.

So I am trying to decide if I want to wax my truck or leave it the way it is. I have washed it a few times now. As a buddy of mine tells me it's patina. 

My question would you wax or leave the patina. 

20170619_092108~01.jpg

Edited by bambamshere
Forgot Photo
  • Like 2

I would wax it. It will slow continued deterioration. While I can appreciate patina, I personally am not a "patina" guy. But if you aren't careful that patina will keep growing. But maybe that's the goal. I'd use the spray on wax. It's not super shiny and applies pretty quick.

Edited by rcb

My truck was pretty dull and faded over the years. I used Mothers metal polish on the paint to bring the shine back out in it and then put a coat of wax over the top of it to protect the areas that are missing paint. While yours does have some patina, you might be surprised on how much shine will come back to the old paint too! 

Unless your going to do a real "power polish" I don't think you will see much difference in some hand rubbed wax, except you may end up with a lot of shiny and rough spots all over...pretty much have to choose either polished right or left with patina...I like the patina myself, and those rusted spots can be treated with a converter and wiped down after...turn them dark instead of rust colour, and slow it down.

Spent many years around the Dauphin area and a lots of trips thru Asheville...even know a Yaciuk up there...cool truck

Ya there is suppose to be three different familys of Yaciuks up there. 

I think I will be leaving the lettering on the truck. But I did a small piece on the back of the trucks box the other day. Just to see what it might look like. The top is the wax the bottom is the way it looks. The spots on it is because of raining. 

20170621_151236.jpg

Edited by bambamshere
Continuing
  • Like 1

What can be done is very personal. For me, I would wipe it down with acetone to remove the oxidization, (50's) used car trick, then I would give it a good cleaning 320 wet/dry sand paper, then a final rub down with 600 grit. Follow thatcwith several coats of semi gloss clear. That is what I did pre fire. I know it is controversial but every one walks by the shiny paint jobs and come see me.

IMG_2847.JPG

• Like 2

Three words!  Boiled Linseed Oil. Preserve, protect, has a semi gloss sheen.  Popular with antique farm implement and tool folks, and Antiquers too.

507726.jpg

507727.jpg

Check you tube there are a couple bids. One even is a dodge truck.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

What can be done is very personal. For me, I would wipe it down with acetone to remove the oxidization, (50's) used car trick, then I would give it a good cleaning 320 wet/dry sand paper, then a final rub down with 600 grit. Follow thatcwith several coats of semi gloss clear. That is what I did pre fire. I know it is controversial but every one walks by the shiny paint jobs and come see me.

IMG_2847.JPG

Ya that's a taste thing...there is a 46 panel truck locally that just got built, it's a lot of surface rust and patina and he clear coated it...I just can't understand shiny rust or shiny patina....seems like a contradiction too me.  At the end of the day tho, it's your truck, so it your decision...same reason I have an orange truck...some like it, some don't...but I didn't build it for anyone but me.

I think 320 is pretty harsh for a clean up...I would say 600 then 1000 grit maybe....I stil see the scratches from the 400 I started with on my hood, and went 600 and 2000 after that

• Like 1

For taking off the oxidation and grime, the Mothers polish and an old wash cloth works great and is much less work that a bunch of different sandpapers, Not to mention being a rubbing compound, much gentler on the 60 year old paint. That truck would really look nice with that green that is hiding under all of the years of abuse.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 3

I yield to your advice. When I cleaned the first time I had no clue as to what I was doing. After the fire, I didn't care, anything that reduced the effects of the fire was ok with me. I have two cars to finish, I will be much more careful because I like old paint!  TKS for the tip. 

I hate patina. It's one step toward the vehicle eventually being a completely rust covered orange piece of junk. I feel these vehicles should be preserved for future owners and fans. Why something covered in dirt, oxidation, and rust is attractive, totally escapes me, and I feel it disrespects the vehicle and the hobby. They do not have to be shiny new paint and rechromed to look good, but should be clean and preserved. Go to NAPA, get a can of Macs special cleaner and your favorite wax, and go to work. Truck will look great. More people will like it than the way it sits now. I am not slamming your truck, but am telling you how to make it look better for a longer period of time. When you go to a car show, do you shower, or are you covered with "patina"?

2 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

This is an old farm truck I pulled out of a fence row in Colorado. An afternoon with a hose, soap, and some Mother's cleaner wax got me here.

11845167_900546006666778_317814883401790

Looking goooood!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

For taking off the oxidation and grime, the Mothers polish and an old wash cloth works great and is much less work that a bunch of different sandpapers, Not to mention being a rubbing compound, much gentler on the 60 year old paint. That truck would really look nice with that green that is hiding under all of the years of abuse.

I agree. A gentle paint rubbing compound by Mothers or Mequiers followed by a couple of coats of nice wax and your truck will still have the old paint but it will look pretty nice and shiny. Stay away from sandpaper. Your truck looks nice now but would look great with some TLC.

• Like 1

"I hate patina. . . . They do not have to be shiny new paint and rechromed to look good, but should be clean and preserved."

You contradicted yourself.  I agree with the last phrase. My post fire truck is as well preserved with a quality coat of sans color pigment paint as with paint with pigment. I cleaned the surface same for paint, treated it with a rust inhibitor, primered it,  then put three coats of satin clear on it.

This winter I will again remove the doghouse, disassemble it and repeat the above so that all hidden edges will be cleaned and treated. When I reassemble it I will place all proper materials between the two surfaces. It will then last as long as any vehicle shown in "Classic Trucks" but I will have PRESERVED its HISTORY.  I will receive this bonus, I will meet many more people and talk vehicle restoration with more people than anyone with a perfectly painted vehicle, AND kids can touch it all they want to.  That is my explanation of a patina finish. 

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

• Like 1

I will probably for now till I can afford to paint it or something like it. I will buy a rubbing compound and then wax it. That little spot I did I had bought a nu finish wax paste. If you read the can there is supposed to have a rubbing compound in it but I may just go buy a different can or liquid and do it with something else. But it did seem to come out good using that. I did it twice seems to look alright. Not sure how long a rubbing compound lasts but I do have some sitting around my Dad gave me before he passed away last year. It was his truck before it was mine. 

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

"I hate patina. . . . They do not have to be shiny new paint and rechromed to look good, but should be clean and preserved."

You contradicted yourself.  I agree with the last phrase. My post fire truck is as well preserved with a quality coat of sans color pigment paint as with paint with pigment. I cleaned the surface same for paint, treated it with a rust inhibitor, primered it,  then put three coats of satin clear on it.

This winter I will again remove the doghouse, disassemble it and repeat the above so that all hidden edges will be cleaned and treated. When I reassemble it I will place all proper materials between the two surfaces. It will then last as long as any vehicle shown in "Classic Trucks" but I will have PRESERVED its HISTORY.  I will receive this bonus, I will meet many more people and talk vehicle restoration with more people than anyone with a perfectly painted vehicle, AND kids can touch it all they want to.  That is my explanation of a patina finish. 

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

I don't feel I co

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

I don't think I contradicted myself. I do not agree that dirt, rust and oxidation are patina. Patina is what is under the dirt,rust, and oxidation. There is nothing wrong with the aged, weathered look of old paint. I like it. My '39 Dodge has the original paint and it's staying. The car is very original except where a p.o. Sprayed some primer in a few places. I like to see what they looked like when made. They're only original once. But I know everyone has their own preferences. And that's fine. I do know that if I was lucky enough to have my Dads truck, it would be clean and shining.

• Like 1

Actually it was my Dads truck but the original owner is the guys name on the door. Which was my Dads uncle. Dad sat in the middle between his uncle and his Dad when they brought it home when it was new. No pictures of it back then. Would have loved to see it back then through

But I will get it looking clean again. See what the green actually looks like. 

• Like 1

"There is nothing wrong with the aged, weathered look of old paint. I like it". This starement is an apt definition of patina!!

When I get to my 39 ,Chrysler, I will not repaint it, I will restore as best I can, the original paint. I wish I could start on it tomorrow, but I must finish my Suburban first.

IMG_8432.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

Another thread I need not look at.

Sorry:mellow::mellow:

• Like 3