Carpet

packratc

If you go with this company...please keep the forum in the loop with quality, ease of install and over all appearance when completed.  We need good part sources for sure.  Long back we had one guy who went with a premade and was extremely dissatisfied and went to a local trimmer to clean up the mess.  Perhaps this company will be the answer to many folks carpet needs

• Like 1

This might not be very representative but I used stockinteriors a couple of years ago for a P15 model. It all went very fine. The quality of the carpet (I did not choose the most expensive quality option) was very good. The fit very fine - but then the fit is not a problem anyway thanks to a trick: The carpet comes in two pieces. The actual overlay takes place underneath the front seat area, hence the overlay is not visible, hence adjustments towards the front and rear end of the floor can be made very easily.

• Like 2

Thanks for you all's help. I had tried Stock Interiors with no luck. I called www.carparts just now and ordered a "kit" for the P19 at a price of $91. Shipping to bring it to $118. It'll be made by Newport something-or-other and shipped & received within 10 days. I inquired about www.carparts.com and their business. Their parent company is JC Whitney. So there you go! I'll foward results of my purchase when I get it. Carl

4 minutes ago, packratc said:

Thanks for you all's help. I had tried Stock Interiors with no luck. I called www.carparts just now and ordered a "kit" for the P19 at a price of $91. Shipping to bring it to $118. It'll be made by Newport something-or-other and shipped & received within 10 days. I inquired about www.carparts.com and their business. Their parent company is JC Whitney. So there you go! I'll foward results of my purchase when I get it. Carl

What do you mean by "no luck"?  Do they still make / sell carpets.

My carpet has a "flap" on the passenger side of the hump to access the tranny parts. One place I checked did not have this "flap" in the carpet. If I cut the hole it would leave ragged edges, so declined to purchase.

Interesting note:
I have almost purchased - finally :-) - a 1949 Plymouth convertible that is almost perfect. Some minor things like the flooring needs to be optimised. Has the rubber flooring - which is original - but the material is cracking in many parts already. So I have decided to go down the carpet route - no idea where to get the rubber floor. Also not to keen on the look itself.

Initiated a few inquiries - obviously also ended up finding Newark Auto company (dreadful website, but nice service, reasonably priced, quality? I don't know) and approached them. When you go to JcWhitney is them also. That we all knew already.

I also approached stockinteriors - slighly more expensive then JcWhitney so maybe better? Well having approached them their response was "You already contacted our production facility hence you kow it all. Thanks". Or in other words - Newark Auto is their production facility. As I had approached them already,  stockinteriors did not see the need to help me any further. Now we know :-) The strange thing - they offering is roughly 40 USD more expensive. Well, well, well. So they could have slightly ripped me off :-)

Many Auto parts companies sell carpets by made Auto Custom Carpets, Inc.  I believe StockInteriors sells these carpets.  Find videos of carpet installations to help you decide.  I saw that you have used StockInteriors on a P15 with a good result.  Because of two piece design I will probably use them.  I want to use the rubber in front for the near future.  I bought it several years ago, brand new still in the box.    

Edited by 48ply1stcar
correction.

• 2 years later...

Anyone purchase or install one of the carpets mentions above yet?  I was hoping to get some input into fit, quality, installation comments?  If anyone has utilized any of these references above please share.  I will be in the market for carpet and a headliner in the upcoming months...

Thanks.

Ed

DSC03158.jpg100_3581.jpg

I bought a roll of carpet and some padding.  Then took it to a trim shop who cut and fitted it and put binding on the edges.  He cut a flap under the driver's feet  which you can pull back to access the master cylinder.  I put rubber floor mats on the floors which were same color as carpet.  I also had the shop make me a couple carpet floor mats for the front to use at shows.  I also had a carpet made for the trunk since those rubber mats are pretty impossible to find.  

Edited by BobT-47P15

I can only second Bobs recommendation. Fact is I was reasonably lucky once and failed the second time around completely. The set I originally purchased for my P15 Business Coupe actually turned out reasonably right. With very, very minor tweaking demands. The second time round I purchased from the same supplier a set for my 1949 Plymouth convertible. I did actually talk to them in person and was promised a perfect fit. When the carpet arrived it was everything but  a fit at all. Too wide, too short, just strange. So plan B, which should have been my plan A: I purchased proper carpert material and padding (readily available on many online sites) and went to a trimmer. In the end I paid slightly more than the set price (roughly 30%), but got a fit that I needed and additional tweaks here and there.

Saying that, if you are lucky and the carpet fits a set can be a very good solution. But the fit is not always guaranteed. Thom

Edited by Thomba48

thanks for the report back on your finding, sadly the carpet did not work out as intended, most times in these older cars they do not....the trimmer is usually always your best immediate go-to if you do not do trim work yourself.  It would be nice to see a picture of your trimmer install of the carpet if you have one to post. 

thanks for the pictures, it is traditionally European style fitment for sure...even my trimmer here does the older cars in a very similar manner....and well, I guess any car without a formed carpet would need this style fitting and binding.  I like it, the contrasting binding seams actually highlights, but then it is something I am very used to...others still prefer the preform but sadly older cars are limited in that style availability.  

• Like 1

Nice! The Desoto I bought has a newer carpet in it but it looks like it has some issues being crumpled around the trans tunnel. I'm hoping I can pull it out and fix it; looks more like a bad install than bad carpet.

37 minutes ago, falconvan said:

Nice! The Desoto I bought has a newer carpet in it but it looks like it has some issues being crumpled around the trans tunnel. I'm hoping I can pull it out and fix it; looks more like a bad install than bad carpet.

unfortunately bad fit is usually due directly to a badly sewn/formed carpet.   It is hard to believe one would cut this corner on install given a well fitting piece of carpet....

• Like 1

I have a traditional European carpet to make for this car I am working now...I have a professional cut and bound carpet kit in a color I do not want as a pattern to copy.  However, in fitting that set..a better fit will entail a bit more custom cut but will yet allow for easier marking for a DIYer like myself, the overlaps is insufficient in my opinion.   Then there is the binding the edges yet to do.  I searched for along time finding a carpet source in the color, style and weight needed.  While not really expensive...any replacement will be cut off a different mother...while often not a concern, it is a consideration when buying to allow for a tad of waste or remnant.  I bought an extra three linear feet.