38 Dodge Pitman Arm Ball ??

Dirty8

I'm right in the middle of rebuilding my front end and i've noticed the "ball" on the end of the pitman arm isn't completely round.  The "ball" is flattened on the sides where the Drag link cups ride.  Is this normal or should this "Ball" be round?  I'll upload a picture tonight if needed.

I was going to answer you but like yourself, could not find a part number or listing to advise you with...but I thought these were listed in the Ply-Do catalog as service parts..could not find where I put that book...I can find the drag link kit but no ball....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Dunno if this is any help and I know its Plymouth but the 1938 P5/P6 Plymouth Steering Gear Arm is # 683120 as per the 1936-42 Plymouth Master Parts List and the generic pic shows the ball attached to the arm..........any chance that the Plymouth is the same as the Dodge one?............I just checked ebay and there is a listing under 1938 Dodge for a Steering Gear Shaft which says that it fits both 1938 Dodge & Plymouth so maybe the Plymouth arm IS the same...........dunno if this helps or hinders.........lol......andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

There has been some discussion on the forum before on having the ball replaced or repaired . Some people have found that the machine shops don't want to do this repair as it is such an important part safety wise . If you can't find one anywhere else  try Rare Parts in Stockton , Ca . 1-800-727-8740 . www.rareparts.com   EDIT ;  The link isn't the correct business , you might have to type the address into your server . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

T120.........well buggar me!!..........lol.........Dodge & Plymouth DO use the same part........I thought that might be a chance.......lol..........if ever you get to Oz I'll buy you a coffee........a suggestion if the part isn't available.....would you be able to adapt a pair of normal tie rod ends and a tube to a straight pitman arm..ie, make up something like what hiboy Ford hotrod  roadsters etc use with their drag link steering or cowl mounted steering?..........just a suggestion..........andyd  

This what i'm working with.  Part number on the arm is 683112, is it possible it swaps to the 683120 number?  From all my searching the car i have is a Plymouth with a Doge nose, Canadian D8.  With the limited amount of driving this car will see before I inevitably swap the front end to something more modern, would anyone advise on just running it as is.  I talked with uncle who was one of the last people to drive this car and he never felt like there was slop in the steering. He told he last night "that car was always nice to drive solid feel and great on the highway".

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

The part number for the steering arm complete is, 683120....The part number for the arm is, 683112....The part number for the ball is, 651957

2 minutes ago, T120 said:

The part number for the steering arm complete is, 683120....The part number for the arm is, 683112....The part number for the ball is, 651957

Ok awesome that's great, i might have found a 683120 for sale NOS.  I'm just going to replace it if this place can find it in the the dusty corner of the building with the old plymouth parts, lol.

Dirty.........if you have a Canadian Dodge then you have the same problem I have with my 1940 Oz Dodge ............what the Yanks call a Plodge..........Plymouth with a Dodge grille.........am pleased that it sounds like you have had a win tho'..........regards, andyd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well..... Need to find another Pitman arm the one i received was incorrectly marked with the 683120 part number.  I'll have a 600959 NOS arm for sale if i get stuck with it. hoping the place i bought it from can help me out, i'll see shortly.

" I'll have a 600959 NOS arm for sale if i get stuck with it. hoping the place i bought it from can help me out, i'll see shortly."

600959 should fit my 33 Plymouth so I am interested in purchasing it if you do get to the selling point.

ike this

4 hours ago, DonPal said:

" I'll have a 600959 NOS arm for sale if i get stuck with it. hoping the place i bought it from can help me out, i'll see shortly."

600959 should fit my 33 Plymouth so I am interested in purchasing it if you do get to the selling point.

ike this

Ok sounds good i'll keep you posted

• 1 month later...

Well the pitman arm for the 33 got returned for a full refund. Unfortunately they spent a month trying to find the correct 683120 pitman arm with no luck.  Sooooo...... off to the machine shop i go!  Found a few guys that have experience with this kind of repair and want to have a look at the original to see what can be done about just replacing the ball end. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Pitman arm back from the machine shop. New ball installed and complete unit has been heat treated again after welding. Fresh coat of paint and this thing is looking brand new!!

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

• Like 1

Most impressive...........will be interested in hearing what the steering is like now.........andyd