Help headlights

Tac

you  will need to verify that the light switch is getting feed from the battery.  I f power is coming in, trace your single wire that feeds the dimmer switch...this switch is what determines what element gets lit based on the position internally.  Odds are you could just cycle this switch a number of time and the action will self clean the contacts and the lights will again get power.   If you have power in here and power out on the individual feed wires, next is the distribution terminals on the radiator panel...verify these connections are clean and tight.  If power there and no lights, make sure there is power to the bulb socket by testing...if there..check your bulbs for possible burnt out condition with an ohm meter or spare bulb.  On some headlight switches there is a fuse if missing power from the switch....other it is a breaker that auto resets..this could be a bad breaker of bad fuse..test for power both sides when switch is on...full pull outward...

EDIT  on the brake light...similar trouble shooting..check for power on one of the two terminal on the switch attached to the pressure lines near the master cylinder..(key on) if not near the MC hand over hand till you locate the screw in switch that will be on a T fitting.  if power is there on one terminal. use a jumper and cross to the other terminal..if brake lights are now on...center only if still factory, you have a bad switch or no fluid in the brakes lines.....if no rear light, check wire to distant end or lamp itself...be sure you have good ground on rear lamp

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You do know that the car only has one brake light, the center one near the trunk handle.  Out board lights are tail lights only unless you have turn signals.

You can power the brake light separately through an in line fuse if you want to by making up a fused wire to run from the batteryside solenoid terminal to the brake lamp switch.  This will take the brake light out of the headlight switched circuit.  It will likely make the brake light brighter also.

What wire do I connect to fused wire off break light switch? I'm new to these old cars and being 24 years old I'm not familiar with them thanks for the help

Locate the starter solenoid.  It will have two heavy gauge cables attached. One from the battery and one going down to the starter.  On the battery side you will notice a couple of smaller wires. These provide power circuits for items that can be powered even with the ignition switch in the off position. Like lights.  Basically you are going to run an independent power wire for the brake light switch.  Locate the brake light switch.  It is one a fitting on the brake fluid lines down near the master cylinder.  It will have two wires coming out the top of the switch.  If you are not familiar with what the switch looks like google hydraulic brake light switch.  They are still used today on atv's, motor cycles, and scooters. Once you locate it, make up a wire of sufficient length with an inline fuse holder (15 amp fuse works) to run from the solenoid to the switch, and attach a terminal ring on one end to fit on the solenoid terminal, and an end suitable to attach the wire to the switch terminal.  You can use crimp on or solder on fitting as befits your skill set.  The switch doesn't care about which terminal is which. One is power in the other will be power out regardless.  You can test you brake light by temporarily bypassing the switch and connecting the new wire to the wire that runs toward the back of the car. Then connect the new power wire to the solenoid terminal. You should have power to the trunk and thus to the brake light assembly.

Do you have a electric meter or test light to assure you actually have power to critical parts of the circuit?  If you bypass the switch and have power to the brake light, you should have a light assuming your bulb is good and there is a proper ground.  If not then you have a problem in the wire from the switch to the trunk.  There is a spot up near where the top of the back seat interfaces with the trunk inside the trunk where the wires feed down from under the headliner to enter the trunk.  There are butt connectors there where the wires split off to go to their light fixtures, assure that all these connections are tight.  While you are there trace the wires and liable them for future reference.  Once you have the brake light wire identified check it for power at the light fixture end.  If you have power good bulb and ground you should have a light.  Now connect the switch and recheck, with someone holding the brake pedal down.  If you have no power then, that points to a bad switch that you will need to replace.  Old cars are fun!!!!

Thank you I will give this a try yes I have multimeter to check power, I picked this car up cheap needs some love 14k original miles I always have loved old cars hate all the fancy stuff in cars now. 

Switch is dumb making one power in makes the other power out when the brake pedal is pushed.  You can abondon the stock power wire in place but tape it off so you don't get any unwanted sparking as it will still be hot when disconnected.