Age at which your child can drive your antique

desoto1939

I currently have my 39 Desoto insured with Grundy World wide located here in Pa.

NOTE: If you have a child or anyone relative under the age of 25 They can not drive your antique car or truck.

I just checked with Grundy World Wide Antique car Insurance. Below is a comment taken directly from their webpage when you are initiating a request for a quote

*There is no deductible in most states.  To be eligible for coverage, your collector car must be used for pleasure driving only.  You must have a separate regular-use vehicle. Your collector car must be kept inside of a locked garage.  All drivers must be 25 years old.

So beware that if you have a children that is under the age of 25 they can not drive your antique car and be covered with the blanket insurance policey that you have on your car.

Suggest that everyone check their carrier.

Here is the policy statement from J C Taylor: the drivers must also be 25 years of age or older.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

I registered my 52 dodge truck as such, no mention of collector, antique. Classic,etc. will do the same with my 53 Plymouth Suburban and later with my '39 Chrysler. I am putting a lot of work into these vehicles and intend to use them. 

• Like 2

I chose regular more expensive coverage on my '53. So my son could drive it. 

We have "Collector Coverage" available. Much cheaper than regular rates but my 18 year old son was not allowed to drive it to school in his senior year. 

I want everyone in my family to drive it if they want. So we're insured accordingly. 

• Like 2

When my son was a senior in high school he bought his 52 Plymouth. Just put liability on it. It was a rough car though. 

You really have to pay attention to the fine print in the coverage. When he moved out and got his own place he was covered driving my cars/ trucks but while living with me he would have had to have been added to the policy. I don't have collectors policy on any of mine yet as they are all drivers.

We've always had Condon & Skelly.  Driver caveat is that they'll only cover the cars when driven by persons we've listed on the policy in the first place.  I imagine if we listed "young" drivers, it would have changed our coverage and premium.  Policy doesn't mention any age restrictions, but we didn't list the kiddos, either.  Both are too far away to worry about them driving the old Dodge or Terraplane, and both are over 25 anyway. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

62.......Then he can draw social security while he's recovering from the beating he's going to get for wrecking it.

• Like 1

My policy does not cover drivers under age 25, or drivers without at least ten years of driving experience.  It seems that kids these days are not so anxious to get their licences at 16, as we were.  Too many electronic distractions.   Not only that, Michigan has a process for licencing the kids, with requirements to log hours of driving (with an adult) before taking various stages of additional drivers ed.  Too many young drivers kids getting in accidents.  Wisdom develops long after size and strength. 

Some states require a driver with less than six months experience to have a licensed driver in the front seat with them, and they can’t drive after dark. Also, after that first six month period, they can drive alone, but only with a state-approved sign on the back—“Novice Driver”, for the next six months. After that, they take another driver’s test with a local law enforcement officer, and if they pass, they’re issued a standard driver’s license. However, should they be pulled over in violation of any of the “learning/sign” restrictions, they lose all driving privileges for six months, and then have to begin the process all over again. Further, anyone here caught using a hand-held device, whether texting of talking, looses their driving privileges for one full year. If they’re involved in a traffic accident while using a hand-held device, whether texting of talking, they’re automatically charged with causing the accident, and they lose their driving privileges for one full year. Personally, I don’t think a year is long enough—it ought to be forever!!!

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, desoto1939 said:

I currently have my 39 Desoto insured with Grundy World wide located here in Pa.

NOTE: If you have a child or anyone relative under the age of 25 They can not drive your antique car or truck.

I just checked with Grundy World Wide Antique car Insurance. Below is a comment taken directly from their webpage when you are initiating a request for a quote

*There is no deductible in most states.  To be eligible for coverage, your collector car must be used for pleasure driving only.  You must have a separate regular-use vehicle. Your collector car must be kept inside of a locked garage.  All drivers must be 25 years old.

So beware that if you have a children that is under the age of 25 they can not drive your antique car and be covered with the blanket insurance policey that you have on your car.

Suggest that everyone check their carrier.

Here is the policy statement from J C Taylor: the drivers must also be 25 years of age or older.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Pleasure driving only?  What is that? Wink Wink :)   I personally don't want any of my cars to have the insurance caveats on them, as I don't want to be limited to my driving pleasure time in them.  I've also let my older one drive my 48 last year on private property at 13.  Not that I recommend anybody do the same, but I want to instill that thrill in them, we all remember our first time driving a tractor or 4x4 and what's cooler than your old man letting you drive his "Hot Rod", even though mine is far from it.  But mine are also not as nice as most of yours, but that doesn't mean I'm not as proud of my old Mopar.  I've noticed that most people steer very clear of these old beauties while driving, even when they are covered in black primer.  ;)

• Like 1

I have Condon and Skelly for my 57 Ford. It's in a 1 car garage on my property.I can't add the 47 onto the policy because one of the requirements is that the vehicle be in a garage. I tried to get liability through Allstate which insures everything else and they just refered me to an antique carrier.At this point,the only way that I can do it is to either commit fraud and tell Condon and Skelly its in a garage or rent a garage in the neighborhood. At that point, the car becomes like a horse, whether you ride it or not, you still have to fork up to feed it. 

On 6/23/2017 at 3:37 AM, Mortimer452 said:

I just have regular liability only insurance on mine, but it's not a $15k showcar.  I think the premium was around $140 per 6mos.

Mrtimer:  I have my 39 Desoto insured with Grundy Worldwide and the car is valued at 20K  I only pay $160 for the entire year and the car is insured at the stated value. If your car is insuded via the regular carrier then if you have anaccident then the carrier can claim depreciation on the car and if the car is totaled then they also deduct for depreciation.  Contact one of the regular antique car Ins carriers and you might get a better price and coverage. Right now you then are paying 280 a year, remember that you car does not have to be a show car. My 39 desoto is a driver and Grundy does not have any mileage limitations, ecept that the car must be garaged. The $160 is for full coverage liability and comprehension and collision. 

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Cell 484-431-8157 

20 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

If your car is insuded via the regular carrier then if you have anaccident then the carrier can claim depreciation on the car and if the car is totaled then they also deduct for depreciation.  

My parents found this out a number of years ago when they wanted us kids to drive some of their old cars in parades in the late 80s. Put "regular" insurance on the cars so under 25 could drive them. A Chevy Chevette pulled out in front of my mom when she was driving her 1965 T-Bird. Totaled the Chevette (literally and figuratively) and bent down the hood and busted the grill on the T-Bird. Insurance company looked at the latest "blue book" value available for that model/year (1976?). Insurance company decides that the car was worth about $750.00 and totals the car. Car had a MUCH higher stated value that was approved by the antique car insurance company before but that didn't matter as it was just a 20+ year old car to the regular insurance company.

2 minutes ago, iowa51 said:

My parents found this out a number of years ago when they wanted us kids to drive some of their old cars in parades in the late 80s. Put "regular" insurance on the cars so under 25 could drive them. A Chevy Chevette pulled out in front of my mom when she was driving her 1965 T-Bird. Totaled the Chevette (literally and figuratively) and bent down the hood and busted the grill on the T-Bird. Insurance company looked at the latest "blue book" value available for that model/year (1976?). Insurance company decides that the car was worth about $750.00 and totals the car. Car had a MUCH higher stated value that was approved by the antique car insurance company before but that didn't matter as it was just a 20+ year old car to the regular insurance company.

This is the main reason why we stress that you get a stated value on your antique car.  egular car insurance will value it as a car with the depreciation factor and go against the Blue book for a value.  with the stated value if the car is insured for 15K and it gets totaled then you get the 15K not the blue book value. Please beware the difference inthe coverage by the regular car insurance carrier versu an antique car/truck specialty carrier.  This has been discussed many time at the annual AACA general meeting and lecture series every February in Philadelphia.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com