1949 Wayfarer Roadster installing a 360 dodge will it work?

Sixpakrob

I am seeing how much will it take?  Cut the firewall?  What is involved?  This car is a nice car, 75000 miles on it, the motor is locked up.  Opened it up been soaking it wih trany fluid etc...  if it will not work maybe trade it from something else to work or play with.  

5909b9e64f725_IMG_0579copy.JPG.5a7675f72c1d48d0a90097e2af0bbea8.JPG

It's your car so make yourself happy. That being said there are many things to consider if you want to make such a major change. You should be able to find a reasonably priced running engine if yours is not rebuildable, which would be much less work. Nice car by the way.

Edited by Silverdome
added a word

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

most folks would not return to stock when completed...the comment was made to let it be known that once this path is chosen, you pretty much committed to completion...There is no try....!!!!

Agreed, Make sure this is a project you can and are willing to see through.  I've gotten a few projects for pennies because someone bit off more than they could chew.  It's nothing like the TV shows make it out to be, lol.

That said, my biggest concern would be the left exhaust manifold and stock steering, don't be afraid to offset the engine to the passenger side an inch or 2, Ma Mopar did it for years.  I had to offset my HEMI an inch just to clear the steering shaft.

And having someone you trust to do the work if you don't do it yourself. Not sure how fast you want to go, but if you just want motive power you'll be ahead dollar wise to replace/warm up the original I would think.

But to your actual question, lots of people do the swap with varying degree of professionalism. The most common I've witnessed is yank everything and drop the new motor/tranny in and fab mounts real time. I'm not intimately familiar with these but on others they've relocated the steering box to the outside of the framerail (maybe they are already there?) or put in a front clip and used rack and pinion. And if you don't have a donor 360, I personally would lean towards a 318 that's internally balanced.

Edited by rcb

I agree. It is pretty nice. You may loose on it if someone else has to do the work. I'd at least drop a replacement motor in, even if it's not rebuilt. You'll lose less.

you do not always have to go with the V8   Mopar has a number of V6 options.    Your selection would just  be as easy there based on what is available to you to grab locally.   Many here however do not like playing with the electronics....setback and limits your forward progress in my book if this scares  you off but that is an opinion only.  Pentastar 3.6 in Challenger RWD is 305 not to be sneezed at ponies.  Subframes are great...but even with these the engine will NEED be relocated and new mounts made with this year body..think cab forward design here.  I have done, V6 and V8 in these bodies and three mopar retro subframes  I will not say it is hard. but I will say it is a process.  Whatever  your choice,,,good luck with your build.  If you go donor late model..get a complete car..you will need it all...................don't get suckered into buying a partial parted car, don't believe them if they say there is a FCA harness for retro...so far only that is offered to the hemi retros......partial car will bite you severely.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

no cut needed....little innovative radiator placement, watch the left manifold....can tell you lot of aftermarket advertised stuff is not near what they claim as far as fit and function.  You going to be pretty much on your own for measure and fit.

What aftermarket is worth looking at to make the job easier?  Mounts and transmission

wish I could give you an answer, they may be out there in buy me now land but I have always fabricated my own rendition of frame mounts to allow use of the engine stock mounts even when just shifting rearward 7-8 inches as is norm, basically the same for the transmission..use what comes with the donor, adapt to your particular installation.  Usually this is really easy. Utilize what offset you can to the passenger side in your build to get clearance for the left manifold....Last build I widened the tunnel 3 inches, do not overlook the center dump truck passenger side for the left....use the shorter late model starter...aftermarket radiator is dependent on size of engine, standard or automatic comes into play, determine if you are forward mounting if V8 used, modification of latch support will give you room plus space for AC condenser if done right...ability to alter the rad support is a plus due to its very size and design makes this very suitable for mods. List of mods go on for this but this will give you an idea....

I have had a 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge and I'd suggest that as the later LA series mopars are not as wide then you should be able to install it without any firewall cutting and just have the engine mounted slightly offset to accommodate the stock steering column..........depending on the mounting you may have to slightly modify the front floor but very minor, there are quite a few disc brake upgrades available and also if wanted ways to accommodate a rack & pinion if and only if you want it.......main thing is to gently remove all the front sheet metal and measure twice, cut once........properly setup even the stock radiator in good condition should be o/k........regards, andyd  

14 hours ago, Sixpakrob said:

I am seeing how much will it take?  Cut the firewall?  What is involved?  This car is a nice car, 75000 miles on it, the motor is locked up.  Opened it up been soaking it wih trany fluid etc...  if it will not work maybe trade it from something else to work or play with.  

5909b9e64f725_IMG_0579copy.JPG.5a7675f72c1d48d0a90097e2af0bbea8.JPG

IMHO, it would be a crime to change the engine in this automobile. Its absolutely beautiful. You would be de-valueing it.

A classic shape like that doesn't need to go fast, you should stick with an original engine or at worst replace it with similar.

But, its your car.

8 minutes ago, maok said:

IMHO, it would be a crime to change the engine in this automobile. Its absolutely beautiful. You would be de-valueing it.

A classic shape like that doesn't need to go fast, you should stick with an original engine or at worst replace it with similar.

But, its your car.

I doubt it. A well done hotrod/streetrod almost always brings more money. On the other hand it usually takes more money to build one, but as far as value goes the modified crowd almost always wins.  My thinking does not include ratrods and craprods. 

• Like 1

Sixpakrob........heres a couple of pics of mine, and the 1940 engine bay is smaller than a 1949 engine bay, also as I mentioned my Poly is wider than the LA series engine, 273-360 so you should be able to fit one without too much of a hassle.......when I did mine in 1973 I ended up using a rack & pinion as I couldn't fit the original steering box....but knowing what I know now and with 40 yrs worth of experience I would do the install much differently and would have kept the original steering............btw yep, my car is RHD but it is a mirror of your LHD so what I say would apply..............anyway as others have said, its your car and a very nice one if I do say so.........one other thing......have you considered installing 230 or even a 250/265 Desoto six with a finned head, twin/triple carbs, beehive oil filter, hei dissy, fenton headers & a T5 gearbox.........the 230 is a bolt in, the Desoto would require a bit of fiddling regarding the radiator but still more than doable and a hopped up six would draw a good crowd........lol......................regards, andyd  

P1000808 (800x600).jpg

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

Hey thank you Andydoge.  I do not much about those other motors but I do know LA style motors.  I do want to keep it looking much original looking as possible but upgraded.  Easy to jump on the highway.   Looking and sounding good.  Been working on unsticking the motor and if it is not successful I will put something better.  I am sure it would be costly to rebuild.   

Beautiful car.  Based on it's condition and low mileage, if it were mine, I would keep the flathead and add AC.  But, that's just me.

As far as the cost of rebuilding the engine, well, you never know until you open it up.  You are going to have to pull it anyway if you go the 360 route, so you can make your decision at that time.  My experience has been that it costs no more, and no less to rebuild a flathead than it does a "modern" engine.  However, the flathead sure goes back in easier and everything fits.  On top of that, it will get lots of love at the shows.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Sixpakbob.......the LA engines would be the best bet...the 318 Poly is the LA series' s father......lol..........same block but much wider due to the poly or semi hemi style heads........as Bobacuda mentioned you'll have to take out the engine to do a swap anyway so why not see what can be done re hotting up the six..........either way like I said....a nice car........andyd 

I guess @Sixpakrob needs to assess the extra work and cost involved to the benefit gained for a v8 transplant.

He may need to change his user name to Eightpakrob...:)