I fixed my windshield wipers and now my car runs better

medium_jon

My windshield wipers haven't worked since we bought our restored 1950 P20 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coupe earlier this year. I serviced the vacuum wiper motor, but the best it would do is an occasional swipe if you helped it. Vacuum  test only indicated about 12 inches. About 6 weeks ago a saw a NOS rebuild kit for the accessory vacuum pump. Today I followed my factory service manual for testing it: disconnect both vacuum lines and test with vacuum gauge.  My reading: 0 (zero).  Sigh. 

Clampped off the fuel hose and disconnected both fuel lines on the pump, but not in that order. Sigh. 

Wedged my socket in to remove the two bolts holding the pump. If you do this job, I suggest you take off the higher front bolt first. I, however didn't. And the when taking it out, my socket wrench kept switching directions on my and the durn bolt would tighten right up. Sigh. 

Cleaned yo the pump in my parts washer -- I do like that thing, then took the pump in the house to open up the vacuum end. The factory manual has some great directions on doing that so the spring doesn't go flying. Found the vacuum diaphragm looking like this...

IMG_9342.JPG.3186c1935d7599d65413d4f94b7d8360.JPG

Well I had a replacement in my rebuilt kit. Only problem is the arm for the oil seal was different, so I had to get creative with a drill and my dremmel tool. Thus far no replacement part for this car has been perfect. Sigh. 

Returned the pump to the car, connected the fuel lines, and released the vice grip clamp on the fuel hose. Started the car, checked the vacuum and was getting about 7.5 inches. Manual says if I don't have 8 inches that my pump needs servicing. Sigh. 

Turned off the car, and held the manifold vacuum line to tester. I had my 15 year-old son start the car. It was pulling a steady 16+ inches with me holding the lines together. But it was running much smoother than it normally does. This vehicle has always run rough and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why. But this is sounding better. :)

I let go of the vacuum line to tell my son to turn off the car and immediately it went back to its rough running. Hmm

I connected the manifold line to the vacuum pump again and had the vacuum gauge on the other side. Started the car. Now it is pulling a steady 18".  I rev the engine and as it slowed down the vacuum shot up past 20 and then slowly settled on 18 again. But it is running smoothly. 

Final test, hook up the wipers instead of the vacuum gauge. They work. They work! Now we don't have to leave the Plymouth at home when it is threatening rain. Success. 

But I really wanted to test out the engine.  So I had my son move the parking break cable to the correct side of the clamp (that story to come later) and we took it for a 5 mile drive - up hill. It still doesn't have the power to make it up that really steep hill at 55 mph, but it did it at 52 instead of the 48 mph in the past. And idling on the way downhill, none of the rough running. Success 

On the way back, we pulled into a parking lot and I let my son drive. Never got past 2nd gear but this parking lot is NOT flat so it is a good proving grounds for teaching the kids to drive a manual transmission. My son doesn't get his learners permit for another 5 months, so he can't drive it on the roads yet. This was only the 2nd time I've let him drive it and he did pretty good. 

Lots of sighing, but 3 positives 

1 wipers work

2 engine runs better 

3 my son is learning to drive the car we bought for him

Edited by medium_jon
Fixed typos. Moved image
  • Like 2

Wow what a strange sequence of events.  But if the end results are the positives you mentioned, then how can you beat that?  Thumbs up man :)

• Like 1

Isn't it nice to have a win..........lol..............regards from oz.........andyd

• Like 1

You indicated that you son was learning to drive the car.  Might want to check with the insurance company on your antique car. Some have a limit on the age that a family member has to be before they can drive the even if they are your immediate son or daughter.  I have read that they must be at least 25 years old.  Just check before you get them behind the wheel. If they have an accident then your coverage might not be valid.

I urge everyone to check their individual antique car policy for the age restrictions for a family member to drive your car or truck. Beware of this now and not when and if you have an accident.

• Like 2

I just checked with Grundy World Wide Antique car Insurance. Below is a comment taken directly from their webpage when you are initiating a request for a quote

*There is no deductible in most states.  To be eligible for coverage, your collector car must be used for pleasure driving only.  You must have a separate regular-use vehicle. Your collector car must be kept inside of a locked garage.  All drivers must be 25 years old.

So beware that if you have a children that is under the age of 25 they can not drive your antique car and be covered with the blanket insurance policey that you have on your car.

Suggest that everyone check their carrier.

• Like 1

It was raining here today but now that I have working wipers, I took the P20 when I had to run errands around town this afternoon. 

The windshield is leaking on the bottom corners of each piece of glass though. Looks easy enough to remove and seal.