fuel pump rebuild kit

Mike36

Mike....I just did a quick US ebay search under plymouth fuel pump kit and on the 1st page there were 5 or 6 pump kits listed.......only problem was that some were listed for the double action pump that the vaccum wipers were connected up to, I'd go thru these and also maybe phone Bernbaums and Roberts direct, also what sort of pump do you have, I was able to get a brand new pump for the 41 Plymouth I had about 4 yrs ago and it was listed for a early/mid 50's mopar 6 but worked fine...   and was the same price as a pump kit.........as far as I am aware all the mopar 6's from at least 1936 thru to 1959 use exactly the same 2 hole mounting base and although the cam actuated lever can be of a different shape all that means is that some levers sit under the pump cam while some fit hard against the cam but either way works..........you might have to alter your fuel inlet/outlet lines as this angle can be different but you may also be able to move the 2 halves as well as the 6-8 bolts also allow some adjustment............regards from Oz.......andyd     

• Like 1

Find any numbers/identification on the pump and contact the good folks at Then and Now Automotive, (a.k.a. Antique Parts Cellar). They have good quality rebuild kits and can be very helpful in identifying your pump if you can't find any identification.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't have the pump off yet, but noticed it was leaking a little oil yesterday. Was glad I made it home with no issues. Car has electric wipers. Makes me wonder why Walter didn't put em on all his cars since they had the technology. Probably trying to keep costs down, but not a good decision. I remember Dad letting off on the gas going up hill so the wipers would let him see where he was going.

• Like 1

According to all of my cross reference catalogs the AC 588 is the correct model for the 39 Desoto.Chrysler Dodge.  The 39 Des,Chryler and dodge have electric wipers so do not need the dual action fuel pump for a vacumm to runthe wipers.  Also the AC model 588  and the modell 588 was made by other manufactoro is the correct one to use.

Cater also made FP and they were numbered as 588 but some did not have the glass bowel.

When I took my old FP out of the car it still had the AC 588 tag on the FP.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com