brazing on an aluminum intake

kendall

I am about to braze two fittings on an Offenhauser aluminum intake using Bernzomatic AL-3 rods @ 371 centigrade. The aluminum attachments are temporarily screwed into the intake mani. with steel screws and a bed of hi temp gasket silicone. What are any ramifications of applying heat? Would tig welding at even higher temps. be safer for the mani. or worse?  Thanks

are you comfortable using those rods?  I would think there would be little worry about strength as these are not going to be structural mounts.   Not sure of your temp arrangement, I gather these are plates being attached to the manifold.  Could it not have just as easily been drilled and tapped to start with.   Tig would be my choice but I agree, not everyone has a tig at home.

17 hours ago, kendall said:

I am about to braze two fittings on an Offenhauser aluminum intake using Bernzomatic AL-3 rods @ 371 centigrade. The aluminum attachments are temporarily screwed into the intake mani. with steel screws and a bed of hi temp gasket silicone. What are any ramifications of applying heat? Would tig welding at even higher temps. be safer for the mani. or worse?  Thanks

The silicone will infiltrate the joint creating inclusions that will ruin the joint, regardless of process.

24 minutes ago, jeffsunzeri said:

The silicone will infiltrate the joint creating inclusions that will ruin the joint, regardless of process.

X2, remove that silicone.