Coating For Inside Thermo Housing

Bingster

Mines lasted 70 years without. I'd be afraid of particles sluffing off and clogging other parts and passageways. Leave it like the engineers planned it.

• Like 1

Preventing rust in your cooling system is one of the things that anti-freeze does.

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

I did a very dumb thing. I left the housing out in the sun to bake the primer, and forgot to bring it back in. Got rained on and the inside rusted again. Surface rust. Oh well.

No real big deal if you plan on using it soon.  Just clean the rust out with steel wool and use it. It's just surface rust.

6 minutes ago, Bingster said:

How so?

start by familiarizing yourself with the properties of phosphoric acid, its application to metal for treating and preventing rust while working bare metal......AND what metal to keep it away from for long term exposure.  It is an excellent product....in your case, just invert and fill it for a short spell with coco-cola..it has enough phosphoric acid to treat flash rust

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

start by familiarizing yourself with the properties of phosphoric acid, its application to metal for treating and preventing rust while working bare metal......AND what metal to keep it away from for long term exposure.  It is an excellent product....in your case, just invert and fill it for a short spell with coco-cola..it has enough phosphoric acid to treat flash rust

Or better yet,white vinegar. I love vinegar because it eats rust like nobody's business,is safe to use and handle,and once you get it too contaminated to use anymore,you can use it as a weed killer. Cheap,too.

• Like 1

while white vinegar is a rust eating acid and is quite safe for the most part, be ye advised that long term soak of cast iron tends to break it down molecularly.   For more information you can refer to those folks dealing in cast iron cookware cleaning and preservation advisements.  How long it would take to do harm I have no clue but I also know it is not hard to get distracted and walk away from a project to do something else that pops up and who knows when you recall the previous task of vinegar and cast iron..phosphoric acid eats oxide....does not damage ferrous metal, I have used it to clean oxidation from gold and get units to pass meg-ohm tests when all other cleaning methods fail....good stuff...safe and effective....many uses and many ways to accelerate its use....as with any chemical/acid...use with care, read, get up to speed and you will not be disappointed in the performance of this product.  Highest pure strength I have ever seen is 85%....I have some of that left here yet but of later I have found a source at 55% that is dirt cheap and self cleaning due to special app mixture.....shop around...find a local source.

a side note....vinegar is a good cleaner and wipe for galvanized metal prior to coating...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

And if you are a hotrodder like me you will find that the mopar V8 thermostat housing has the same size bolt pattern and by using a nice chromed V8 housing with the V8 style thermostat of the same degree rating, ie, 160/180 the top of the engine looks shiny............of course this V8 style thermostat housing only really works if your car has an internal bypass as the V8 housing doesn't have any external fitting............these V8 housings are alloy so don't rust, just react with water so some sort of inhibitor is required....... btw just checked "mopar thermostat housing" on US ebay and new chromed V8 housings go for $10-40 and theres even a NOS mopar 6 new original cast iron one for $20.............dunno if this helps..........will go sit in my corner now.......lol............andyd        

Edited by Andydodge

I had a devil of a time getting the oem '52 thermostat housing to seal to the head. I lapped the housing flange flat on a true flat surface until all defects were gone, cleaned the head surface until you could eat off of it, made sure everything was bone dry, aligned the thermostat and then used gray waterpump RTV and a gasket - waited 24 hours to cure, and sealer on the bolt threads. Still leaked. I went to a 60's/70's style V8  heavy duty cast aluminum after market housing (not chromed). Used the gray water pump RTV, no gasket let it set for 24 hrs, thread sealer. Voila no leaks. Use a flex hose with 1 3/4 " x 1 1/2" x 16 inch long. Perfect fit. I hated to abandon the oem style upper hose, but things were just not working, and my time is worth more than futzing around with the old housing...probably could have made it work without the gasket and the RTV...but the new housing works fine and solved the problem.