Lightening started a small forest fire near us.

casper50

We had a lightening strike forest fire start 2 days ago.  Still very small, only 300 acres so far.  Not near to many houses and going towards unpopulated areas in the wildlife refuge so they will let it burn.

19224872_1725217760840229_6659046522335119128_n.jpg

19113889_1725217854173553_8385334255887774972_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, casper50 said:

We had a lightening strike forest fire start 2 days ago.  Still very small, only 300 acres so far.  Not near to many houses and going towards unpopulated areas in the wildlife refuge so they will let it burn.

wonder what Bambi and Thumper have to say about this being unpopulated area......:eek:  I know I know, nature started it, let nature deal with it..300 acres is just a single farm field in my area...

yes and it did not start as a quarter million acre fire was my message.....guess I view wild fires a bit differently...

I have seen annual fires started in areas under the premise that this is going to rid the summer season of snakes.  They are annual so they let these burn also as the most that burns is a few dead limbs and leaves/needles and only the occasional house is guarded against any encroaching flame.

Most of our wild fires up here are caused by lightening.  And we have millions of acres of uninterupted forest.  So the State lets it burn unless it threatens homes. We also have over 1000 wild fires per year in Alaska.  Most are never noticed.