Chrysler Industrial 265 Specs

55 Fargo

Does anyone happen to know specs for the 265 Chrysler Industrial Engines, mine is a 1960s version used in a Massey Combine.

I am looking for Torque, HP and Compression ratio ratings.

I have found limited info both on this website as well as Google searching.

It is reputed that these engines have lower compression than the car and truck 265s, as well as less HP and torque specs at a lower RPM, which is a cam duration and lift difference for these engines.

I do not have a manual, and cannot get any specs so far.

Those who want to know why I am concerned with this, reasons are , prior to building or using this engine want to know what I am starting with.

The combustion chamber in the head, are huge and a 1/2 inch deep.........

A little more digging and found this engine rated, on Massey and Oliver combines at 93 hp and 211 ft lb of torque at 1450 rpm for peak torque.

Compression ratio 6.8: 1, cam profile, not found, most likely low lift shorter duration compared to a truck or car engine.

Than again guys for the help, 15 views and I answered my own question..............

• Like 1

I have noticed that there does seem to be a lack of information available for all the 265's.  I have a Motor's Truck Repair manual from the late 60's, and I think it has a little info, but otherwise, I have been unable to find much. Good thing is, when doing a rebuild, the bolt torque and clearance specs for bearings, etc., are all the same as for the 251, which is well-covered in the manuals.

The 230 That's in my car was a crate industrial engine from Jasper. It was suppose to go in a Yale forktruck. Several people had told me the cam and specs would be different. I finally called Jasper, told them what I had, they said mine was same as a car engine, cam, compression ratio, etc. The only changes that would have been made were if something was changed due to wear. I mentioned this because of by some chance yours has a Jasper tag on it. ( or Marshall etc) you might give them a call. Or might call them anyway if you don't get an answer from the forum and see what they say. The guy I talked to was very knowledgeable and didn't mind answering questions.

In most ind engines the cam is set to run at a certain rpm....say 1200 rpm to run a genny, or a water pump, etc. they are not set up to rev up and down like a car or truck. I suggest a cam and tappet swap and build it they way you need it to perform. probably has a gov and one of those upside down tractor intakes also?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

The 230 That's in my car was a crate industrial engine from Jasper. It was suppose to go in a Yale forktruck. Several people had told me the cam and specs would be different. I finally called Jasper, told them what I had, they said mine was same as a car engine, cam, compression ratio, etc. The only changes that would have been made were if something was changed due to wear. I mentioned this because of by some chance yours has a Jasper tag on it. ( or Marshall etc) you might give them a call. Or might call them anyway if you don't get an answer from the forum and see what they say. The guy I talked to was very knowledgeable and didn't mind answering questions.

Well thank you, no it's not a Jasper engine.

Its right out of a Massey Super 92 combine a 1961, it's a 265, and was rebuilt by "Piston Ring" in Winnipeg, in it's heyday they were rebuilding over 3000 engines per year. Chrysler flathead 6s were a staple item on there floor.

Its rated at 93 hp on a Massey or Oliver combine, not sure what is different, has to be the head and cam, can't be anything else...

7 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

In most ind engines the cam is set to run at a certain rpm....say 1200 rpm to run a genny, or a water pump, etc. they are not set up to rev up and down like a car or truck. I suggest a cam and tappet swap and build it they way you need it to perform. probably has a gov and one of those upside down tractor intakes also?

Nope, tappets are not different, no govenors, and regular intake being a down draft. combines ran a little higher in the RPM band.

But  agree fully this cam and the head are built for comfort not speed......

23 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Well thank you, no it's not a Jasper engine.

Its right out of a Massey Super 92 combine a 1961, it's a 265, and was rebuilt by "Piston Ring" in Winnipeg, in it's heyday they were rebuilding over 3000 engines per year. Chrysler flathead 6s were a staple item on there floor.

Its rated at 93 hp on a Massey or Oliver combine, not sure what is different, has to be the head and cam, can't be anything else...

Being it was rebuilt by a shop doing large amounts of engines are you sure it was rebuilt to tractor specs? They could have easily mixed and matched parts to rebuild to car specs or truck or??

18 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

If you change the cam tappets must follow...lol. 

Here are pics of the head and  combustion chambers, 1 is the 265 Industrial and the other a 1960 Canadian 250.

20160310_134016_resized.jpg

20160310_134030_resized.jpg

20170615_165008_resized.jpg

20170615_165012_resized.jpg

48 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

If you change the cam tappets must follow...lol. 

Nope your wrong or misinformed, change cam and hub, and tappets are the same...........

24 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Nope your wrong or misinformed, change cam and hub, and tappets are the same...........

You're a braver man than I am if you would install used lifters on a new cam; my experience is that such a move usually results in highly worn cam lobes.

Marty

Just now, martybose said:

You're a braver man than I am if you would install used lifters on a new cam; my experience is that such a move usually results in highly worn cam lobes.

Marty

I did not say used lifters, I stated stock OEM tappets, and if they are in excellent condition only.

Frank was referring to a different size or type of tappets, at least that's what I thought he meant.

It was never stated that I was using the same tappets if in poor condition, used new or NOS otherwise.

So not sure how you deduced that, but not a problem, will most likely be using new tappets if warrranted, and perhaps I am more of a risk taker than you.

Too bad you are so far away, once this engine is built have no problem going at it pedal to the metal against you on the wide open highway................LOL

Interesting information. I happen to have a 265 Industrial I removed out of a very low hour Oliver combine. I haven't dug completely into the details on the head yet, but I wondered if it wasn't lower compression with a different camshaft for the application. I know for a fact mine had a belt driven governor on it (well its still hanging on the side of the engine). Time for me to dig in and figure out the details.

I wanted to run a Sptifire head and a good cam anyway.... so its a good excuse to make that happen.

31 minutes ago, HotRodTractor said:

Interesting information. I happen to have a 265 Industrial I removed out of a very low hour Oliver combine. I haven't dug completely into the details on the head yet, but I wondered if it wasn't lower compression with a different camshaft for the application. I know for a fact mine had a belt driven governor on it (well its still hanging on the side of the engine). Time for me to dig in and figure out the details.

I wanted to run a Sptifire head and a good cam anyway.... so its a good excuse to make that happen.

Apparently late 50s big truck 265 head is the way to go.

The spitfire head might work too, once cut...

The Oliver, like the Cockshutt and Massey were rated at 93 hp, this has to be because of the heads used and lower duration and shorter lift cams. Designed for max grunt work at a lower rpm, I am thinking.

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

At 6.8 c/r you are lucky to have 93 hp........

Cut the head and step up to some forged pistons. If the cam hasn't been drastically cut in a rebuild then go for a warmer profile. 265 inches, even in L6 form should be good for over 200 hp.

7 hours ago, wayfarer said:

At 6.8 c/r you are lucky to have 93 hp........

Cut the head and step up to some forged pistons. If the cam hasn't been drastically cut in a rebuild then go for a warmer profile. 265 inches, even in L6 form should be good for over 200 hp.

Yes these Industrial 265s are rated at approximately 7:1 compression ratio, the design and specs for a Combine or what have you.

But again no replacement for displacement, and mine is already a 270 ci, 200 hp, well doable, even a stock build with a raised compression ratio and 1 carb and single exhaust could yield 130-140 hp.

Add in 2 or 3 carb intakes, split exhaust and a different cam  and even more compression, well 200 is within its range.

I don't know if my build will be 200hp, but it will be much better than 100 hp, and plenty enough power to push my Fargo around and look good and sound good at the same time....

8 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I was referring to using used tappets.........Like as in build it, and they will come........

Got yah