Generator, Starter and Voltage regulator restoration

thebeebe5

'37 P4

While everything's out for my overhaul I want to get these items checked.  No issues to this point. Generator charges fine.  Regulator regulates.  Starter seems a bit weak. That's about it. 

Anyone have a place they recommend for going through these items?  Would love to find a place in Phoenix to handle it and keep it local, but not sure where to start looking.  

Edited by thebeebe5

Look in the yellow pages,if they still have them,under automotive repairs,electrical, Then call and ask them if they do auto generators and regulators.

If no yellow pages,do a web search for automotive electrical repair,phoenix and see what happens.

9 hours ago, thebeebe5 said:

Starter seems a bit weak. That's about it. 

I just went through my starter a few days ago.  They are fairly easy to freshen up.  Check to make sure all the springs have good tension on the brushes.  The brushes on these are fairly short, maybe 3/4" new.  I was expecting much longer.  Found a new commutator end (cover with bushing and springs), leather washer and drive bushing for less than $10 at a local shop.  Pays to find out who makes speedo cables and rebuilds starters and generators locally,  try tractor service centers as well as many farmers use their equipment well beyond normal life expectancy of automobiles, and the may have parts you wouldn't expect them to have.

Edited by mlozier76
  • Like 1

If you can't find anything local, a good friend of mine does this for a living.  He's been doing this kind of thing for a long, long time.  Decades.  He's a master of all things with pistons, electrical, etc.  Of course you would have to send them to Minnesota.  Just giving you an option.  PM me if you want to move forward.  

• Like 1

I used Copperstate Auto Electric located at 3807 N 35 Ave with phone of 602-253-4155 and was happy with their work. Have tried a few other places in Phoenix area with poor results. At one time there was a place that was OK called generator exchange but he moved to Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suntennis said:

I used Copperstate Auto Electric located at 3807 N 35 Ave with phone of 602-253-4155 and was happy with their work. Have tried a few other places in Phoenix area with poor results. At one time there was a place that was OK called generator exchange but he moved to Texas.

I'll swing by there and give them a look.  Thanks!