Fuses

Listen, you do not need that Pertronix piece of work, but sure a divisive camp of people who have used them, some love em and lots hate em.

Here is a real simple mod, you use a slant six distributor and eci, heck you can use the GM HEI module with it if you like.

It involves taking the slant 6 dizzy apart, and using the chrysler flathe head 6 distributor shaft assembly, I have done it, not overly hard, and works great.

But I have no issues with points either, and if you need a distributor, Manitoba has lots of them around yet.

20151023_121911_resized.jpg

20151023_121921_resized.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

Pertronix makes a good product, no point slamming them..lots of people very happy with their points eliminating system, but a vacuum advance distributor is a good thing in a daily driver truck, or one in traffic and highway use.  As for the slant 6 conversion...that I wouldn't waste my money and time on...Chrysler didn't exactly have a fabulous system in those days, it can and does work, but that ignition box is double or triple price the GM parts, and if you do buy the cheap box, you can assure yourself you will get stuck at the worst possible time.

The 1 ton trucks didn't have vacuum advance, and it's a bit harder to find 1/2 tons in Manitoba, or ones not currently in use...possibly a car engine would be a better bet...but the issue with used distributor is you are prone to parts being work out from that many years of service...that was another selling feature on the Langdon one...all new parts, and cheap replacement parts.  I've had 4 engines and never come across a vacuum distb yet that I could buy around here.

1 minute ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Pertronix makes a good product, no point slamming them..lots of people very happy with their points eliminating system, but a vacuum advance distributor is a good thing in a daily driver truck, or one in traffic and highway use.  As for the slant 6 conversion...that I wouldn't waste my money and time on...Chrysler didn't exactly have a fabulous system in those days, it can and does work, but that ignition box is double or triple price the GM parts, and if you do buy the cheap box, you can assure yourself you will get stuck at the worst possible time.

The 1 ton trucks didn't have vacuum advance, and it's a bit harder to find 1/2 tons in Manitoba, or ones not currently in use...possibly a car engine would be a better bet...but the issue with used distributor is you are prone to parts being work out from that many years of service...that was another selling feature on the Langdon one...all new parts, and cheap replacement parts.  I've had 4 engines and never come across a vacuum distb yet that I could buy around here.

As far as the slant 6 distributor conversion, is concerned,

You can buy aftermarket Modules including the use of a GM HEI if you like the distributor itself is pretty rugged.

Lots love the Pertronix, including a few of my local friends, and lots hate em, I am neutral, and still use points, even though I built a slat 6 dizzy, keeping that for another project... what are you running a Langdon GM conversion

The benefit of the Pertronix setup is that it keeps your engine bay looking very close to original (if you prefer it that way), very easy to install and keeps the dwell angle correct.

Well right now till I can get more money. I think I will stick with points. I just finished buying the 2 days ago. I just wanted to know if and how to install one when I do. Think I going to go to bucks and see what they have there in July. Unless one of you Manitoba guys already know. 

It does not have to be an IAY... So now you have choices. You can run you IAY with points or Pertronix, you may be able to install a vacuum advance on it, you may be able to find a different distributor with vacuum on it, you can do the Langdon's or a slant six conversion.  Try the classifieds here. 

25 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Well right now till I can get more money. I think I will stick with points. I just finished buying the 2 days ago. I just wanted to know if and how to install one when I do. Think I going to go to bucks and see what they have there in July. Unless one of you Manitoba guys already know. 

I would doubt Bucks has anything that old left on the site...scrap was too valuable for a few years....try an ad on kijjii, might have luck on there.

1 minute ago, 4mula-dlx said:

I would doubt Bucks has anything that old left on the site...scrap was too valuable for a few years....try an ad on kijjii, might have luck on there.

There is at least 1 47 Chrysler there right now apparently.

The interlake is a treasure trove of old flathead powered stuff, but scrap is getting high priced again, so lots will be hauled....

So I found a slant 6 out by the farm yesterday. It is in a old combine. Problem was the farmer put it in a bush and between the bush and the road is a crop in a field. Not sure if it would have a vacuum advance on it or not. It is in a combine. I did also find a Petronix that would fit in my distributor. Do I really need vacuum advance. I mean doesn't have it right now. 

You don't have to have one, but as stated before...it helps with drivability.  I used mine many years without...but it does run better now.  Points are fine as well if you can work on them, Pertronix just erases that trouble