Fuses

Ok now I know that modern cars have fuse boxes. I have been through my truck about 2 times now and never seen a fuse box. Was that something that cam with these trucks or not. If not would it be wise to install one does it matter. If for 61 yeara it didn't. 

sorry just remembered this. 

back then you got one for the lights or most likely by your 56 a self resetting circuit breaker. If you had a clock or radio they would likely have an inline fuse. That's about it. No fuse panel.

If you add any new 12 volt accessories or plan to add a few, I advise putting in at least a small  fuse block that takes the ATC fuses and adding from that point.  Power it from the ignition switch in the on/run position and they you know those items are protected.  I rewired my truck day one, and put everything through a fuse box , but I also eliminated the generator and voltage regulator as well when I went 12 volt .           

not saying not to ask questions....but sourcing your book would familiarize you with the many sub systems that make up your vehicle and how they operated singularly and as they interact with the rest of the vehicle...them main thing is there are many DO's and DONT's in the outline boxes that will keep not only you safe, but protect the vehicle components at the same time....while a quick answer may come from here, the warnings and cautions may not.

I would like to pertronix I'm going to call tech support tomorrow and find out what I can use. I have a lAY but I have seen them for lAT. But been this uaed to be in a combine would this be industrial. Hope that makea sense. 

If you have a non vacuum advance distributor, why not consider a distb from Langdons?  I got mine, seems to work quite well, had it all installed in about an hour with wiring and mounting the new coil.

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/#!/Stovebolt-Mopar-Mini-HEI/p/1222043/category=18665978

• Like 1

Ya I don't have a vacuum advance on mine. The distributor in the photo looks like it does. Would you have to figure that out. How to install the vacuum advance on it. 

Just wondering or was that just a example. 

No that's the exact distb, you just run a vacuum line to the typically plugged port on the carburetor base with a piece of brake line and a brass adapter and use a piece of rubber vacuum line where you hook on to the advance.

The wiring was very simple, just a 10 ga power lead in and then run the wires to the distb from the coil.  I went with the square body coil, just because if I have an issue, it's easier to find.  All the replacement parts are for an 82-84 S10/S15 2.8L, but I think even more years fit from my days of owning an 87

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I will look sorry. I will stop with questions. 

Bambamshere, I have the manual with photos.I can send to you.I like your doubts,because you are interested....and I had many questions about this truck.The forum purpose is to help all the persons and all the kind of questions.You can ask me through the private message and I will help you as the manner I can.I am now travelling to my farm to see my WWII GMC 1944 truck but I am returning after five or six hours.

The combine engine did not have a vacuum advance simply because the engine basically ran at two speeds, idle and wide open or governed speed.  The centrifugal advance was all it needed.  You may want to locate a distributor already set up for vacuum.

• Like 1

I don't understand a distributor setup for vacuum. I thought that the distributor in at Langdons was set up for a vacuum advance plus I thought the pertronix didn't need a vacuum advance. It could be used on either of them vacuum or no vacuum. 

17 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I would like to pertronix I'm going to call tech support tomorrow and find out what I can use. I have a lAY but I have seen them for lAT. But been this uaed to be in a combine would this be industrial. Hope that makea sense. 

Here is s your  IAY dist. listed in pertronix catalog on left side of their page,  9th. one down listed.

just for for info.

DJ

Screenshot (8).png

As far as I know, the Pertronix is merely a trigger system, replacing electronically what the points and condenser do in a conventional system.  I don't think it has the capacity to advance or retard timing by itself.  It relies on the advance system built into the distributor.  The vacuum advance assists the centrifugal advance in adjusting timing based on the varying loads and speeds of the engine throughout it's RPM range, typical of what a car or truck engine would see.  It'll run on centrifugal only but most people that have found failed vacuum units on their distributors and replaced or repaired them, have found the vehicles to run better and smoother  after.  That's the reason for suggesting one with a vacuum advance on it.

Oh ok because it is in the states and I am in Canada. I wonder if I found a older dodge truck with the same type of motor and had a vacuum advance on it if it would do same job. 

One other thing I was going to ask is if I have a IAY distributor do I have to saty with that type or if I got another one could it be IAT. Just a thought.