Contemporary For Mopar Coolant System Flush

Bingster

If you know the history of your engine and know that in recent times it has been cleaned inside the block by the removal of the freeze plugs, other call them by different names, then a flush can easily be done.  I am not a fond of chemical as you have to truly dilute these to render them inert when you fill with your new antifreeze mix.  After you run a chemical if that is your choice, I do recommend pulling the thermostat, open the valve to the heater core, remove the upper hose and place it to spill away from the fan...start engine and set the water hose to match the intake to the radiator to that of the water pump output...run this for the period of time you think is needed to satisfy your  whimsy about any flush agent still in the block.

Drain the system, add a 1/2 cup of Electrosol and pure water into your cooling system, go for an hours drive, get the system good and hot, drain this out, add water run again drain and flush it should be clean now.

If it isn't pull water pump, and pull water tube clean and inspect, those should be done with pulling the "welch plugs", and rodding out any debris and cruddy rust.

BTW these are not freeze or frost plugs and were never designed as such. They are core plugs or welch plugs....

BTW here is the water tube from y 265 engine I am working on, it was easy to take out and clean as a whistle a good indicator of a clean cooling system. I am building a hi-perf high HP engine

20170611_213944_resized_1.jpg

I use the Blue Devil stuff they sell at Autozone.  Pour in radiator, add water to fill, drive it for an hour or so, drain.

So far, it worked OK.  I was reaching boiling on the highway prior to using the flush, now, I hit 190* but it stays pretty solid there.  Coming off the highway and immediately into slow traffic I still overheat.  I may try the flush again before pulling the freeze plugs and going that route.