give me a brake

Don Jordan

I can't believe it's just me.  I can take something apart and it won't go back together again.

I looked at the brake cylinders in the front and they were a mess.  I took the brakes apart on the FR and put in new cylinders, then put everything back together.  I took apart the LF and just put cylinder rebuild kits in.  I went to put the brake drum on and it didn't fit.  I tried turning the brake adjusting bolt with the arrows turned in 360°.  Nothing.  I  could get the brake drum on but it wouldn't turn.  Nothing's changed.  I just can't figure it out.  Where are the arrows supposed to be?  I tried pointing them to the cylinder and away.  The brake drum measures about 10" across.  It's a little under 10" from shoe to shoe.  It's something little I know - I just can't figure it out.

In advance: thank you.

Not only you... I gave up after working on my brakes for four days. Moved it over to a guy that has more patience than me at the moment. However I was at his side as we spent 2.5 hours on the front end. Passenger side was only tweaking that got the drum to turn. Drivers side required me to flip the shoes, the. We had to slightly sand the toe on each side to get it to turn. Rear ended will be done while I am on a business trip to Chicago this week.

You need to compare the cups and push rods of the new and old cylinders. I bet you will find the cups have a deeper recess and/or rods are longer than the originals.  

• Like 3

I replaced the brake cylinders - I used the old push rods.  That's all I've done.  The brake drum is 10" and the distance from shoe to shoe is 10".  aint gonna fit.

It's got to be something really stupid - but I can't find it. 

does anyone know the secret?

IMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4592.JPG

Pull the shoes (use a wheel cylinder clamps so the pistons don't pop out) and see if the still fit inside the  brake drum. They should fit without any gaps. If not they need to be turned to the drum. However, you should first turn the drum to make sure it is perfectly round. 

Is the brake lining thickness over .185  ??"

Are your drums at the original spec of 10.00" and not turned oversize?

if so I'd get the shoe lining thickness back to the OE manufacturer  .185" spec and have them arc each set of shoes to match each drum size.

Those look like the Chineeeese long piston cylinders... you have to use the shorter push rods with those too.

New Raybestos China Wheel Cylinder Tall Piston Requires Push Rod Filing with Std Drum Diameter (3).JPG

New Raybestos China Wheel Cylinder Tall Piston Requires Push Rod Filing with Std Drum Diameter (2).JPG

You didn't mention the minor eccentric. These also should be backed off as well as the majors.  Also, if your installed shoes are touching  the backing plate, the drum won't go on.  I pried them with a screw driver and they 'popped' into place allowing the drum to go on with room to spare.