Horn going off on 1947 Plymouth special deluxe.

DJ194950

Recently took off the steer wheel horn parts today to see how the ground contact make contact.

The horn started to honk every time new owner  turned the steer wheel, not to good in town!!

Called Marty (previous owner) about this and he he said that a minor change in the screw tightening or loosening of the horn screws that hold down the horn ring (p-15 special deluxe with the ring style), once solved this problem for years but I think there may be a better repair as it is doing this again.

Seems to me that the screws should be able to be tightened down totally and keep the needed space between ring and the contacts under it.

My thoughts have lead me to think that the length of the hold down screws could be critical?

Can someone measure their original screws?  :confused:

Any others with this experience and solutions?  :)

Thanks,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add details

I think you are more likely to find the problem at the lower end of the steering column  where the insulation on the wire has deteriorated.

• Like 2

After further checking-p-15 spec. deluxe  steer wheel horn button,

The wire through the steer shaft is new, not grounded when separated from the contact plate. turn wheel both ways no grounding,

Further research on p-15 horn at steer wheel on google came up with some older p-15-d24 posts on this.

Appears that the cup/nut/spring/plate are all in ground contact through the steer box. the wire also get a ground when pushed down into the Plate per parts book

Repair manual about horn repairs says 0000 about this condition at steer wheel.

The horn ring is Supposed to push the spring down to beak the contact between the spring/cup and the plate/wire  when the horn ring installed to push inward to break the contact per old p-15 posts. Appears to me to be correct!

This appears to be done by downward pressure on the horn ring by the horn retainer when tightened down. It is NOT doing this somehow. They remain in contact, no seperation of plate and spring.

Those that have this problem before may have some ideas as I'm pretty lost as looking at parts book and parts all seem to right and testing.

Lost post but trying to be thorough.

Thoughts you p-15 gurus!???  :confused::confused:

DJ

As I remember with my DeSoto steering wheel and horn ring, the spring contacts the steering hub and  is grounded.  

The spring tries to contact a ring-thingy that is connected to the grounding wire and has legs which are secured to the steering wheel.

The horn ring is insulated from the ground, and in normal position holds the spring away from the thingy. When the ring is pushed, it allows the spring to make contact, completing the ground circuit.

I have a long post on this somewhere. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo