Master Cylinder Travel

YukonJack

Ok, I've seen the posts for installing a later master cylinder behind the gutted out stock master cylinder. My question is regarding push rod travel. Once the push rod makes contact with the piston of the master cylinder, how far does it need to move to fully operate the master? Sounds logical to me, or am I over thinking this? Thanks in advance.  

displacement begins with the first movement of the piston, brake application will be on the condition of the brakes and the space the shoes need to travel to contact the drum and then add in the speed and mass you are trying to reign in which is now the force of the contact........still not sure of your question here....

1 hour ago, YukonJack said:

So it makes no difference if the piston is pushed in 1/2" an inch or 2"?  

The piston in the master cylinder beings moving the instant you put your foot on the brake pedal. The length of the push rod is irrelevant.