Creative dash boards

pflaming

20 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Here is my 1953 Windsor. Not art deco, but pretty neat in my books. Most everything works. Did these cars have window defroster vents in the dash? The heater control has defrost options, but I see no vents. Possibly an earlier owner covered them up when they recovered the dash? Not that it will ever see cold or rain again, but just curious.

Bjzhx7MmKz_nsFq39v1IVxtujLafFgOkEFmyCiVc

The instrument cluster looks just like the one in my 49 Windsor.

Heaters and defrosters were options when these cars were new. It is possible someone ordered your car new without picking those options,and some later owner installed a heater.

21 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Donald.........your Desoto dash is exceptional.....is the marbled wood areas on the dash and door window garnish moldings a separate piece or just part of the dash/molding that someones taken an inordinate amount of time & effort with?.............who did it?..............its truly beautiful..........do you have any pics from the other side?....................thanks, Andyd    

Here is a link to how the dash was done. Sadly a vanishing art. http://www.woodgraining.com

Thanks Oil & Donald.......what intrigued me about Donalds dash was that there were 2 different colours and patterns on the one piece, something that I don't recall seeing before..........thanks, andyd 

the vents for the defroster during this period of time was usually a thin but long unnoticeable slit that IS PART of the window garnish molding with rubber cofferdams on the underside of the garnish at each vent (vent is mounted to the under dash structure of the cowl) these cofferdams make sure the air is channeled to the to windshield. 

• Like 1

Nothing fancy...the original un-restored dash of my '41 P-12.   38k original miles, with very minimal wear to the upholstery, steering wheel etc.    

Plymouth_ebay_pics_007.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reg Evans said:

I use to make these and more back in the late 70's

DashGlass 1978.jpg

Why did you quit?

Well,  I sold my silk screening business which this was a part of and moved up to the country to build homes.  I do wish I had kept this part of the business for a little extra dough for my golden years.

10 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

Well,  I sold my silk screening business which this was a part of and moved up to the country to build homes.  I do wish I had kept this part of the business for a little extra dough for my golden years.

I am so ignorant about silk-screening that I didn't even know it was a part of the process.

That sure was some pretty stuff though,and it had to have felt good to make it.

• Like 1

This is the dash in my 50 Ply wagon. I added Autometer gauges and kept the stock radio insert with radio delete plates. Then did everything in aluminum and powder coated everything in a silver to give it that fresh aluminum look. Also built the custom console with the tach mount.

IMG_0382.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, knuckleharley said:

" 47 DeSoto "

BEAUTIFUL!

Don't you mean De Beautiful? Or even De Lovely? :D

Kidding aside, I totally agree.

Edited by rcb

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Can anyone identify these two full patina boards?

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9306.JPG

The bottom one is from a 37 to 39,maybe 40 IHC pu. The same dash cluster was used up to the late 40's or maybe even longer,but the crank out windshield identifies it as a pre-40.

BTW,any of the grille trim still there? I need a shifter knob,too

Edited by knuckleharley

knuckle, I think you will find that the KB series continued with the crank out windshield through to next series truck debut,  The dash, the basic design on it carried into the KB series also but with the bars no longer on the outer as a divider but behind the lens in strikingly similar bar fashion.  Hard to miss that steering and horn center also.  I own a K1,  a 1941 edition...simplicity at it finest, a front end whose external metal was most different.  The nose and particular the double roll hood made these stand out from their counterparts.

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

knuckle, I think you will find that the KB series continued with the crank out windshield through to next series truck debut,  The dash, the basic design on it carried into the KB series also but with the bars no longer on the outer as a divider but behind the lens in strikingly similar bar fashion.  Hard to miss that steering and horn center also.  I own a K1,  a 1941 edition...simplicity at it finest, a front end whose external metal was most different.  The nose and particular the double roll hood made these stand out from their counterparts.

I stand corrected. When did they end the crank-out windshield,48?

Here's the dash out of my 40 Plymouth. The original gauges were in really bad shape and I was missing the center section so I decided to customize. I used the gauges out of a 48 ford and made the glove box door to match the shape, Speaking of which, anybody know what year glove box push button latch will interchange with the 1940, as you can see I'm needing one.

IMG_20170613_190707877.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, 40plyrod said:

Here's the dash out of my 40 Plymouth. The original gauges were in really bad shape and I was missing the center section so I decided to customize. I used the gauges out of a 48 ford and made the glove box door to match the shape, Speaking of which, anybody know what year glove box push button latch will interchange with the 1940, as you can see I'm needing one.

IMG_20170613_190707877.jpg

That's just a killer solution to a dash board!  Creative while still respecting the theme of the car's design.

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1