Creative dash boards

pflaming

I'm enjoying the Art Deco and coupe threads. I also appreciate the artistry shown in dash boards, both in the original design and what creative people do to personalize them. So, show us what has caught you attention.

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_8069.JPG

IMG_9106.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

• Like 1

not but one dash in the 40's...the D24.....the rest are simply head rests in an accident....

IMG_0037_1.jpg

this is the center section of my cruiser build with the D24 dash switch knob at radio position is fog light with fog light "ON"  indicator the green indicator below right vent ash tray position, AC compressor on indicator.  Next to that is the SRS air bag fault indicator.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 5

Here is a custom digital gauge and speedo cluster I designed to put in my 48 coupe. It was made to fit and is inside the original gauge cluster housing,and all the "windows" line up with the stock chrome dash gauge cluster cover.

You can't see them in the photo,but there are also turn signal blinkers,high beam indicator,and low fuel lights that light up,too.

The 48 is subframed and has a V-8 and auto anyway,so why not?

593a9ca0c3e43_DigitalDash.jpg.8013ab196f8356cf1ee47215e2a8313b.jpg

When the switch is turned off the panel looks like a very dark red solid panel.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2

Whilst these two are essentially stock they are RHD so maybe add a slight variation to what you guys normally see......the Oz 1940 Dodge dash uses the standard key ignition switch but has the standard Oz chromed push button starter to the right of the gauges, the Smiths brand Tacho & aftermarket steering & column are obviously not stock but all the dash pieces were rechromed many moons ago and still shine well..........the Oz 1941 Plymouth dash is basically as I got the car, with the gauge in beige with a black area around the gauges, the cream coloured steering wheel is from a P15 as far as I am aware and as you can see tacho in the chromed pod on the top of the dash carries on my way of doing things,  the Plymouth had a 60's style key ignition/start switch partially covered by the steering wheel...................btw all mid 30's onwards Oz mopars that I have seen have had the separate key ignition and dash mounted button starter as being RHD there is no way that the foot starter button arrangement that LHD cars use would be workable with RHD, so the button came to live on the dash..............regards, Andyd        

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

• Like 1

Far from finished- the dash of my 50 Ply. suburban.

Built from fiberglass close to original but extended  towards driver about 1 1/2" for A/C clearance. Will someday have wood grained center section.

Have a 4x8' roll of wood grained wall or other use for gluing here and also may use instead some sheets of burbinga wood book matched sheets for lamination (gluing)  in the area.

Now that I have seen ways to do at home hydro-dipping wood finishes in also any style I'm sure that is by far the easiest way to do a very nice wood grain center portion of the dash. Got to-GOT to finish this car!!!!

Love the other examples posted!

Something to strive for in the future.

DJ

49_sububan_glass_dash.JPG

" 47 DeSoto "

BEAUTIFUL!

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

not but one dash in the 40's...the D24.....the rest are simply head rests in an accident....

IMG_0037_1.jpg

this is the center section of my cruiser build with the D24 dash switch knob at radio position is fog light with fog light "ON"  indicator the green indicator below right vent ash tray position, AC compressor on indicator.  Next to that is the SRS air bag fault indicator.

resized dash ctr.jpg

My grandfather had a D24, and the one thing I remember most about it was how beautiful the dashboard was.  I was probably about 10 years old at the time.

Donald.........your Desoto dash is exceptional.....is the marbled wood areas on the dash and door window garnish moldings a separate piece or just part of the dash/molding that someones taken an inordinate amount of time & effort with?.............who did it?..............its truly beautiful..........do you have any pics from the other side?....................thanks, Andyd    

Andy:

The dash is a single metal stamping, with the graining applied in some mystical fashion.  Likewise the window and windshield moldings (or windscreen mouldings.  l live near Canada, so I'm used to a "u" added to labor, moldings, etc.  In fact, the tip of southern Ontario is directly south of me. )  

The PO had an extra dashboard and moldings woodgrained by someone who has since passed on. I installed the refinished items, sold the old dashboard to a Plymouth owner who was going to try something with it, and I gave the moldings to a fellow Suburban aficionado.  

The PO is the current president of the National DeSoto Club.  Over 25 years, he assembled this DeSoto from the best parts of three of them, and scoured the flea markets for the best pieces of grille and dashboard trim.  I have had the car for sixteen years.  I added carpeting, refinished the steering wheel, and made a few minor improvements here and there.  Oh; I added power steering. 

Last year I had some bad times trying to keep the engine running; felt like driving it over a cliff.  (Do you know the feeling?) Persistence and Pertronix solved the problems.  I am reminded what an attraction the car is at car shows, with the open doors drawing the crowds like shies on flit.  So I respect the car as a treasure.  When it's time to part, I want it going to a good home.  The PO said if I ever want to sell it, let him know.  I know if he won't buy it for himself, he'll find an appreciative buyer. 

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

That was my second choice!

10-4

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

am so glad you did not do something like this....

GA6.jpg

Needs more toggle switches,and to be tasteful,a couple of cow bells.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

actually, it needs a urinal to complete the theme.....now of course folks remember, this is just my opinion...if you like it, I will not try to sway you otherwise...

Makes sense if it is a business coupe. Judging from the upholstery that is clearly a smoking room up front,and the back is for doing your bidnez.

Edited by knuckleharley

This thread is titled, " Creative Dash Boards " . :)

• Like 1

Hey I like gauges and knobs, just not that into the cassette player!  :P

DJ

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Needs more toggle switches,and to be tasteful,a couple of cow bells.

39 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Hey I like gauges and knobs, just not that into the cassette player!  :P

DJ

I think you dating yourself, back in the day of your, it was radio AM (awful music)  then wow, superb quality with FM (fine music) stupid idea of a record player in a car (sorry baby sit on your own side of the car, got to change my tunes as I drive)  addition of stereo, Mr. Lear made it nicer with the 8 track but before the CD, the cassette reigned king, of course we have more compact media storage and replay devices and hard to think what is around the corner, am sure it is a-coming.

Here is my 1953 Windsor. Not art deco, but pretty neat in my books. Most everything works. Did these cars have window defroster vents in the dash? The heater control has defrost options, but I see no vents. Possibly an earlier owner covered them up when they recovered the dash? Not that it will ever see cold or rain again, but just curious.

Bjzhx7MmKz_nsFq39v1IVxtujLafFgOkEFmyCiVc

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1