Rear Main Seal - How To install?

C Michigan

I'm working

on a late P15 (early 1949)

I've removed the transmission and clutch and can reach the lower half of the seal.  the upper half will be hellish.  It is held in place by three bolts and the topmost is high in the center of the bell housing and behind the flange of the crankshaft.  I'm not sure how to ever get that one started.  There Is no space for fingers and you are working blind.  My best idea so for is to use a little rubber cement to attach the bolt to the seal and then coax it into its threads.  Someone else must have solved this before.

Also, the new seal is some kind of neoprene rubber rather than the asbestos rope.  They are interchangeable aren't they?

your concerns are addressed in the prepair manual...the procedures are spelled out there also for both seal styles used....pictures as presented in the book as a aide....either you need the one or the other....depending on build date....if you do not own a book it is a wise investement...maybe till you get a book of your own...someone here with a scanner can bail you out..