New Fuel Tank - built in backflow valve?

mmcdowel

I replaced the fuel tank in my 1950 Meadowbrook with a NOS tank and seem to have resolved a secondary issue (which is awesome...I'm not complaining but trying to figure out why).

It has always taken a minute or so to start after sitting a couple of days in the garage.  I figured the fuel was either draining back to the tank or evaporating out of the carb.  Noticed after the tank replacement it starts right up even after a week.  Thinking back I was shocked how quickly it started right after we replaced the tank....I figured it would take a bit of cranking to get the fuel from the tank to the carb.....but started right up after about 10 seconds.  Is there a backflow valve built into the tank perhaps?

I don't know about a backflow valve on new tanks......but maybe the fact it's new.....and clean.......nothing

impeding the fuel flow.......lets gas get to the fuel pump and carb more quickly.  Just my guesstimate.  Where

did you get your new tank? 

I found it at a farm sale....still new in the box.  Ancient box though.....I'm guessing manufactured in the 50s or 60s?  Its exactly like my old one....only minus the big dent my old one has always had.

That was quite a find for a sale..........

You did good.  There are two or three vendors currently selling an original looking new

tank......am thinking about purchasing one of them.   My old one is working and has a

fairly new float but I think new might be better.