Need help hotwiring

Mortimer452

So, my ignition switch just broke and left me stranded in the grocery store parking lot.  It's not a factory switch, looks like a more "generic" switch you'd get from NAPA or elsewhere.  It has three wires hooked up, sorry forgot to take a pic before calling the wife to come get me :)

What's the easiest way to hotwire this thing so I can get it home?  I was going to head out there with a jumper wire to run from battery to the coil, then use a jumper cable direct to starter relay to get it to turn over, but surely there's a way to do this easily with the ignition switch wires?

Thanks!

Jumper wire Bat. to coil Pos. or Neg. depending on your car. Jumper on starter solenoild Bat. to Start and remove. drive home!

Good luck!

DJ

Figure out which wire is always hot, touch the other two wires to the hot wire one at a time, the one that does not crank the engine gets twisted/connected to the hot wire. Then touch the wire that cranked the engine over to the two now connected wires till the engine starts, then remove the starter wire from the two still connected wires. Should be able to get home, to turn it off just separate the two connected wires.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Got 'er home.  Removing the three wires from the ignition switch and tying them all together worked to turn it on, then I just pushed the button to start.  

Been meaning to replace that switch anyway.  It's super loose and jiggly, screwdriver or pocketknife works just as well as the key to turn it on.