Oil

32 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Yes lacks a bit of power in 3rd not like it going to stall or anything. 

I had the same problem with my 251.The truth is that problem was since 2013.I spent three months to discover that its problem was my fuel pump.It does not have sufficient stroke to send with pressure the gasoline to the carburetor.You can do a simple test putting a hose after the fuel pump and functioning the engine and see if the pressure is insufficient to push the needle  valve of the carburetor.

What the heck the fuel pump doesn't look that old lol

I think you might ne right though I was looking at it pumping gas into filter earlier and it pumps some and then looks like it stops and then ypu see a gush into filter area and then it pumps for a couple minutes and looks like stops and does it all over again. 

20170611_195742~01.jpg

15 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

I think you might ne right though I was looking at it pumping gas into filter earlier and it pumps some and then looks like it stops and then ypu see a gush into filter area and then it pumps for a couple minutes and looks like stops and does it all over again. 

20170611_195742~01.jpg

Okay well they pump, they do not necessarily keep flowing without occasionally slowing or stopping, the needle valve and float help regulate the process otherwise, you might have fuel blowing out of the carb...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

20170611_195742~01.jpg

and if your float was not controling this fueling action you would have a manifold of gas

Fuel blowing out the carb doesn't sound fun. Anyways I did a little tuning today. Finally figured out how to set the points when I looked down and noticed the flat head screw that looked pretty worn from someone else adjusting them. I set them at .020 I advanced the timing a slite bit and also set carb up. Running better now except for the studder in 3rd gear when you press on the gas. Might in time go and just get new points. Everything else is new on it. 

Heres a question why do I need 5 gaskets on my fuel pump when the come new with the right amount. I get it more fuel in the system. But you must go through a lot more. Fuel with that fuel consumption.i mean you have expanded the top of your fuel pump which in turn get more fuel now. Which in turn uses more fuel. 

2 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Heres a question why do I need 5 gaskets on my fuel pump when the come new with the right amount. I get it more fuel in the system. But you must go through a lot more. Fuel with that fuel consumption.i mean you have expanded the top of your fuel pump which in turn get more fuel now. Which in turn uses more fuel. 

1)First I noticed a high consumption(see the date).2)After I began to investigate(see the date).3)After I suspect was the carburetor.4)After I did that test with a hose after the fuel pump.5)Pump was more problem and I dismounted it.6)You have to disassemble yours to see if damaged occurred.7)I put a NOS diaphragm,new valves,new lever.8)Still had to increase the stroke with these 5(five) paper gaskets.

DSCN4049.JPG

DSCN3948.JPG

The only numbers on that tag are 1507530 on top

And LAY-4004C-1.        10K 02 43 

Ok I figured it out now and yes I got the right ones.

Edited by bambamshere
Had to chage a sentence in the paragraph

• 2 weeks later...