Coupes you like

pflaming

5 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

33 Desoto customer had for sale. Not a coupe but still cool?

20110819_35 (800x600).jpg

20110819_37 (800x600).jpg

Beyond cool. They were so beautiful they were stunning.

14 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

He had 2 of them. They were still for sale 2 years ago.

Parts (2).jpg

20110819_36 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0267 (533x800).jpg

IMG_0319 (800x533).jpg

Parts (5).jpg

Those were some really elegant-looking cars. I liked the DeSoto styling more than any of the others.

19 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Those were some really elegant-looking cars. I liked the DeSoto styling more than any of the others.

He wanted 40k and I thought that was a good buy. If I did not have 20 projects going, I would have jumped on it.

41 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

41 Dodge

Auto Parts 9_11-16.jpg

I can't believe I used to think the 40's Mopar business coupes were ugly. Now they are tied with convertibles as my favorites. I even own a very rusty 42 Dodge business coupe.

• Like 1

Based upon what I was taught about pre-war (WWII) car models, and the immediate post-war (1946-48, generally speaking) models, the Packard  (and I like that Packard) shown on the first photo is a 2-door sedan, and not really a coupe. For clarification—sedans typically had 1, 2, 3, or 4, doors (keep in mind the Model T began without a functional “driver’s” door, and then there’s the “Center Door” sedan) with the roof/top extending from just behind the cowl to the back of the body (“body” defined herein doesn’t include anything in front of the cowl). Coupes, on the other hand, typically had 1, or 2, doors (again, keep in mind the Model T began without a functional “driver’s” door), with the roof/top extending from just behind the cowl to behind the door(s), and not to the back of the body like a sedan’s. That’s why the coupe tops are often referred to as “turret tops”. Early coupes also only had one seat, whereas the sedan had two, or more. Then, came the “Club Coupe”, which had a back seat, albeit the early versions had an abbreviated rear seat, which necessitated the turret-top being extended to behind the second seat, but not to the back of the body like a sedan’s

• Like 1

I like the early Dodge bz cp also...it is the termination of the fender at the cowl..just not that hot on the fender into the door profile....need to get off my butt and paint mine...all it needs then bolt it together....but she will keep a bit more, eats nothing...be there when I am ready to insure it...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Jersey, my understanding is that the use of the "Coach" term was popularised by GMs use of it especially in regards to 2 dr sedans, but that's just what I've heard over the yrs.

As for Mopars use of the "Coupe" terminology look at 1940/41 as Plymouth had the Business Coupe with a single split bench seat BUT you could order an Auxillary Seat Coupe and get the small folding rear seats, both 1940 and 1941 used the same "short" roof but for 1942 Plymouth introduced their Club Coupe with a longer roof and full size rear seat......

And as for the confusing use of the Coupe term I suppose it depends on whether you subscribe to the original European meaning or the American usage..........I've always thought that essentially a Coupe was a Roadster or Convertible 2 door car with a fixed metal or part metal roof that as it had only 2 doors was lighter than 4door sedans and therefore more suited to sporting endeavours and the young at heart.........lol..........did I just type that crap?.............lol.............meds time.......lol.........BTW heres a pic of the 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe I had and the 1941 Plymouth Coupe I also had...........the Dodge had only the single bench seat, the Plymouth was an ASC or Auxillary Seat Coupe................Andyd.     

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg

IMG_1355.JPG

IMO, coupe wasn't the "sports" version of any car back in 30s and 40s (maybe in late 50s it started to be) - it was often the cheapest body style, due to simplicity - only two doors, few windows, one seat etc, and noone considered is as a "sports", especially in US. In Europe situation was slighly different -as having car was the luxury for average man up until 50s and in poorer parts of Europe- 70s, having car that's not utilitarian and is wasteful was synonymous of prestige. Opposite to America, coupes were always more expensive than sedans (eg. Citroen TA coupe, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Wartburg Coupe etc.). Even the cheapest cars- 2CV, Messerschmit, Mirkus, Zaporożec, Volkswagen, Fiat 500, Trabant, Fiat 126p, Renault 4 etc. all could (theoretically) accomodate 4 passengers, while chepest bodies in US were only two-seater business coupe.

And is a coupe a 2 door? Well, it was but now... anything goes. For example, Audi A5, A7, VW Passat CC, BMW 4 GT, Mercedes CLA etc. - all these cars are advertised as a "4 door coupe". And what they really are? I'd call them fastbacks or so...

10 hours ago, JD luxury liner said:

593a3465dff7a_20150906_155735(1024x576).jpg.8070d0cbd6719dc6d1a18be414d643a1.jpg

JD...is that your beast you been working on?   Did your's ever have the sway bar....I removed my original bar due to interfernece with the forward mount non-stock radiator and the big block mopar and installed a low bar with better control and also one that can easily be swapped for different values.   I think I hear mine growl at me as I walk by it in the shop...but as it is under a cover...could be just about any varmit below the undercarriage making that noise so I often don't slow down going by it.  I did paint the cowl with the to-be body color a bit back, made a huge difference in looks, almost made me want to finish the paint...but as stated, time is not quite right yet.  oh and one more quick question on your D19, did you have the factory fitted fender mounted front turn signal assemblies?  Both my D19 bz cp and the D19 town sedan has them...a few others I have seen did not....wondered what ratio cars were equipped as such.

1 minute ago, rekbender said:

Here's my unrestored '36 P2. Original except for the '58 Dodge L230 engine.

DSC02400_2.jpg

DSC02399.jpg

Yeah,I'm loving that one.

Used to be a old lady in Denver back in the early 70's that drove one like that everywhere she went. I saw her and the car several times in the general vicinity of the VA Hospital there. The car looked about as nice as that one,too. Only not as shiny. The paint was pretty flat.

• Like 1

Here's my '36. Complete except for the grill. (Those are hard to find.) Bought from the original owner several years ago. Real basic model with zero options. No heater, one tailight.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I like these.....

One I'm just trying to finish up..... a 1948 Chrysler NewYorker 3 passenger straight "8"  cpe.....

C39 3 Pass NewYorker Nearly Finished (14).JPG

• Like 5