Coupes you like

pflaming

25 minutes ago, pflaming said:

The Art Deco thread is exciting so let's go with this. I wonder if the coupe was the early"sport" car?  I will start with these two coupes.

IMG_7572.JPG

IMG_8196.JPG

Maybe it's just me,but to ME,that Packard puts the "ugh" in "ugly".

I have absolutely no doubt it was a joy to drive on the open road,though.

technically, if it has a back seat it is not a true coupe, it is a two door sedan unless it has an altered roofline which then makes it another style atogether...as many makers did just that.    HOWEVER, the term coupe today defines more of a two door verion of a model car that is also offered as a 4 door sedan.  I can go on but it would only muddy the waters more than the manufactuers themselves have done offering so called coupes over the years to the buying public

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I think generically a sedan will be a two or a four door, but a coupe is usually defined as a two door. That is how google separates them, but the technical definitions, like PA stated,  is very broad. The term was most likely driven by narketing. A young married couple would likely have a coupe then upgrade to a two door sedan when the children came. JMHO

basically, with aspects toward performance aside, the basic difference between the coupe verse the sport car is that the coupe is ususally a litle larger with an accessable rear seat albeit maybe small and cramped compared to set of buckets or single bench in the sport car.  The club coupe came about to fill the ground in the middle between coupe and sedan for those folks that want the size and basic style assocatied with this two door altered roofline but will often have need for a rear passenger seating.  Then there is yet the 2+2 associated with many foriegn cars that are sporty but will accomidate the third and forth passenger but still capture the allure of the sport look and perforance.  Models are as various as there are drivers...

I like seeing this 33 around Phoenix, even if it is SBC powered.  

image.jpeg.e651f8fd3181df2a3b2d85a61af761b7.jpeg

image.jpeg.1349585e05a8cff7ddc573378204a172.jpeg

And I'm partial to my own as can be expected.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by thebeebe5
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

Where does sedanette and "fastback" fit in?

one is GM one is everyone else....:lol:  technically they both define a style and not a model whereas the roof and back are combine into a long slanted/curving feature.  I can tolerate this more than folks calling a Plymouth or Dodge a 'tudor'  over at the Chrysler division, they knew this was two words....

This is one of my cars that can fall into a couple of different classifications.  Chrysler marketed it in the year it debuted as a Sport Coupe and in the next year it official became the GT and many will simply refer to it as a hardtop as it has no B-post...but a true hardtop would have a roofline broken to minic that of a fixed convertible top. 

1961 Lancer.jpg

2 hours ago, plyroadking said:

Where does sedanette and "fastback" fit in?

im.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

My yard?

• Like 3

I'm telling ya the truth,here. The 31 to 36 Plymouths are as pretty as any cars made anywhere at any time..

• Like 3