Some more electrical

So as it says more electrical problems. Leta start with I rewired my 56 Fargo the other day and put a starter relay into it. But I have blowen 2 of them now. Not sure why I even put one in to it. It wasn't shutting down properly so I put on in and a diode on the line and it shut down. 

I guess what I would like to know is should I just go back to the way it was. But leave the diode in the line. Lots of juice in the battery. Do these old push button starters already have a relay in them. Is that why these relays keep blowing. 

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

Sorry my mistake I should have said solinoid 4 pole round fits on the fender. Battery lead going in battery lead coming out. The little posts one going to my ignition the other to ignition coil. I think I wired it right. I was looking someone elses. 

To the ignition or to the starter button?

Sounds to me your solenoids are Not the ford type where one pole goes to the coil for hot starts.

There are that type and the one where the second small wire goes to a ground. Quite different. Ford type should be labeled as to what the terminal go. The second type does not.

Just a thought.

DJ

12 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

The solenoid i bought was for a Mustang, Lincoln and Thunder Bird. It is also going to the ignition. There is no starter button in the system. The button I was refuring to was the foot push button on starter. 

With a foot push starter no solenoid is required. The starter/flywheel gear is engaged mechanically not electrically.

21 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Sounds to me your solenoids are Not the ford type where one pole goes to the coil for hot starts.

There are that type and the one where the second small wire goes to a ground. Quite different. Ford type should be labeled as to what the terminal go. The second type does not.

Just a thought.

DJ

My Ford type solenoid was not labeled. I had to OHM it out to figure out how to wire it into the system.

solenoid.jpg

No but I am going to rewire back to the way I had it. I was following a image I found on google because I took the generator of and put a alternator on. Oh well. It was running on when turned ignition to off. So I installed the solenoid thinking it would help. I also installed a diode on the line from alternator to ignition coil.

Edited by bambamshere
Had to chage a sentence in the paragraph

Suggest you show us how you have it wired, i.e.  what's on each terminal of the solenoid and where  do those wires go.

Edited by Dave72dt

I rwwired it today and took solinoid off the truck. I now have thw ignition wirw running to the starter and Alternator wire is running to ballest resistor. Ballest resister to the igniton in the truck and to ignition coil. Starts good now and shuts off like it should. 4 wires in all. 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:56 PM, bambamshere said:

I rwwired it today and took solinoid off the truck. I now have thw ignition wirw running to the starter and Alternator wire is running to ballest resistor. Ballest resister to the igniton in the truck and to ignition coil. Starts good now and shuts off like it should. 4 wires in all. 

You don't need no dang solenoid, your foot and the stomper is the solenoid,,,,,,,,,LOL

Thanks I figured that out. After spending 40$ on 2 solinoids just have them blow. So I rewired it to make it start. I put a diode in the line from alternator to ballast resistor to shut it down.

Edited by bambamshere
Changing some mistakes