Parking/Turn Signal Light Conundrum

So all of my lights (driving, brake, turn signal) are functioning as they should except for the front drivers side parking/signal light. The problem is that the parking/driving light doesn't come on, and when I turn the blinker on, the driving light element (the dim one) will flash on and off (should be the bright one).

These are two-element bulbs, with two point connections, which I'd assumed was one for each element. However, I tried flipping the connectors around, but still had no parking and a dim element blinker.....

This is a 12 volt conversion btw (prev owner). I tried switching out bulbs (not the bulb), flipping the connectors, swapping the headlight switch, swapping the turn signal, checking connections, etc. but always with the same result.  

I'm not an electrical guy and would be very grateful for any/all suggestions.  Thanks! 

It's a two terminal socket, is it in good shape and not grounding on the side of the socket somehow?  I can't imagine what would cause this other then wires crossed or shorting on each other, or in the case of a 7 wire turn switch, that it's faulty itself.  Huge pain, but you could try another socket if you have an old trailer light or close to laying around, hook it as close to the turn switch as you can and check function by eliminating the other wires in the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4mula-dlx said:

It's a two terminal socket, is it in good shape and not grounding on the side of the socket somehow?  I can't imagine what would cause this other then wires crossed or shorting on each other, or in the case of a 7 wire turn switch, that it's faulty itself.  Huge pain, but you could try another socket if you have an old trailer light or close to laying around, hook it as close to the turn switch as you can and check function by eliminating the other wires in the system.

I was thinking along the same lines. I checked and fooled with the connection in the socket and leading out, everything looks clean...I swapped the new Grote turn switch (7 wire) with the older unit (didn't like the handle), and got the same results....guess I need to get this to someone who can do a real diagnosis.

A way to find out if it is the back wiring is the problem. At least this what I did. Find the wiring that is going to your front park lights and turn signals and see if they are working through them. I also had to ground them properly on the box of the truck. Getting almost to bare metal. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So the problem/solution turned out to be quite simple - the bulb and socket connectors just weren't fully connecting.