First time seeing this one.

casper50

To me-

At first glace the back portion of the roof made me think of the 57-58? ford retractable hard top convertibles and they used most of one put on reversed!  The emblem on the side reminded me of me of the ford ranchero emblem.

Way to much Furd!!!  :D

DJ

The Grabowski car combined a 1924 Ford Model T touring body with a Chevy 283 V8 and Powerglide automatic transmission. It’s said that the car also has parts from a Maxwell and a Hudson. Grabowski sold his car to prop man Kaye Trapp. Trapp, along with special effects expert Norm Breedlove (father of land-speed record-setter Craig Breedlove) modified the car to become a “1928 Porter” for the pilot.

My-Mother-the-Car.jpg

15 minutes ago, wayfarerstranger said:

The Grabowski car combined a 1924 Ford Model T touring body with a Chevy 283 V8 and Powerglide automatic transmission. It’s said that the car also has parts from a Maxwell and a Hudson. Grabowski sold his car to prop man Kaye Trapp. Trapp, along with special effects expert Norm Breedlove (father of land-speed record-setter Craig Breedlove) modified the car to become a “1928 Porter” for the pilot.

My-Mother-the-Car.jpg

Norm Grabowski also built and drove for years one of the most famous "T=Bucket" hot rods in history. IIRC,it was even driven by "Kookie" on the 50's tv show "77 Sunset Strip".

I THINK it was running a 6 carb Caddy engine. Can't remember the trans now,but it was probably a Caddy/LaSalle.

26 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Norm Grabowski also built and drove for years one of the most famous "T=Bucket" hot rods in history. IIRC,it was even driven by "Kookie" on the 50's tv show "77 Sunset Strip".

I THINK it was running a 6 carb Caddy engine. Can't remember the trans now,but it was probably a Caddy/LaSalle.

That is correct or near enough. That was a good looking car. He had a nice panhead, too.. There was even a semi sorta I guess maybe kinda popular song, "Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb"

https://selvedgeyard.com/2009/05/24/the-great-1950s-t-bucket-rod-rivalry/

Edited by MackTheFinger
content

4 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

That is correct... There was even a semi sorta I guess maybe kinda popular song, "Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb"

I cared nothing for Kookie or anyone else on that show. I only watched it to see and hear the hot rod.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

I don't remember ever seeing the show. We didn't have television at home in those days.  I remember the car from the magazines and the song because I hated it..

You hated the car? Seriously? I loved that thing more than I did Annette Funicello's breastsickles,and as a young teen boy I loved them a LOT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You hated the car? Seriously? I loved that thing more than I did Annette Funicello's breastsickles,and as a young teen boy I loved them a LOT.

No, I loved the car and still do.. It was the SONG that I hated.. and still do.. I wasn't like a big Connie Stevens fan. Conne Francis, either; now that I think about it.. :)

Reading this post a little late but I must say it looks like where they

piled all the leftover Lincoln parts. That said, it's still an historic

MOPAR so welcome aboard!

"A reminder that despite current theories,some people WERE taking mind-altering drugs in the 50's. Especially the artistic types."

HEY, let's not get personal!  Those on drugs, PAINTED their cars, I think they liked the fumes!

A guy I know, who has a fairly serious car collection, flew out to the US to look at the Plainsman in 2013, with every intention of buying it.
But he came home empty handed as the asking price was a solid $130k and he reckoned on it needing at least that much again for restoration costs.