For the "Dare to be different"

knuckleharley

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/plymouth-cranbrook-ute/322541236273?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20161027085944%26meid%3Da84ac3a82dc44d6198329d690fa259b0%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D322542279991

For those of you with deep pockets and the desire to be different from everyone else,here is your chance!

5935961e424d3_Ute2.jpg.f4766745a6d37817d24d371342bf9750.jpg

Mods,I put this in the general interest category because I think most of the people here are going to be more interested in seeing this very rare and unusual vehicle than they will be in buying it. Please feel free to move it to the truck section or the classified section if you think it doesn't fit here.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

What was it? I just clicked the link and it says its been removed. 

Maybe it was too big?

I just posted a smaller photo.

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

link still worked for me Ed, it is a 56 white Plymouth UTE.....in the downunder sector

A like-new original unrestored 56 Plymouth Ute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

Ok,so which one of you guys bought it?

Edited by knuckleharley

We all know that Ford and Mopar built Utes in Australia,what about GM? Anybody know?

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

maybe even EL SAVOY  I always liked the simplicity of the UTE's dual purpose concept...

Or even El Plaza if we are going to go with the Spanish thing.

7 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

We all know that Ford and Mopar built Utes in Australia,what about GM? Anybody know?

Indeed they did. Under the Holden (GM-H) badge.

Re: Hydraulic clutch, all Aussie built Mopar cars were mechanical clutch. The above Plymouth would not have been an Aussie built unit AFAIK.

Yawn - run of the mill for us Aussies... nice car though. 

Rick

edit: a quick search brought this ute up.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/BDG97C75I2L7B5N0/

Apparently about 650 Utes were built. The one listed on ebay has had a remote power brake booster installed after purchase.

Edited by Ricky Luke

Actually GM built utes here in Oz as Chev Utes in both Coupe Ute & Roadster Ute, Roadster Ute till 1936, Chev Coupe Ute till 1952 when the Chev Ute was dropped as the Holden Ute introduced in 1951 took its place as the GM ute, there were a few Pontiac Utes made in the 1930's however the last Pontiac Ute was in 1941 when a number of Pontiac Roadster Utes were made.

Hydraulic clutches were certainly used on Oz Chrysler Royals from 1957 to 1962 when the last Royals were made, all Royal V8's were autos, Powerflites from 1957, Torqueflites available from 1959 to 1962..........Royal 6's could be had with either a standard 3 speed or with an overdrive, but as mentioned all had the hydraulic clutch............not sure tho' whether the 55-56 Oz Mopars used a hydraulic clutch but up to 1954 all were mechanical clutches ex factory.

Mopar Utes were available as 3 & 5 Window Coupe Ute & Roadster Ute till 1939 when the last Roadster Utes were made, as far as I know no CAR based Mopar utes were available from Oz Chrysler from 1946 till 1952/53 when the Plymouth, Dodge & Desoto versions came out. The 1957 to 1962 Chrysler Royal Utes used the Wayfarer name. Then the next Oz Mopar Utes came with the 1963 AP5 Series Valiants and continued up to the last Valiants in 1981..........and that Wayfarer name was used on most if not all of the Valiant Utes till the end, tho' there was an upmarket version of the Valiant  Ute & Vans.........Town & Country........must of been some leftover badges somewhere, lol................andyd.             

Andy - my understanding is that aussie mopars pre-1962 were assembled in Oz but not manufactured in Oz, hence the AP (Australian Production) designation for 1962 to 65. Is this correct? My grey matter is getting greyer...lol