How to remove radiator p17 1949

thekid1950

welcome to the old car hobby....I would like to refer you to a few more modern cars where a lot more disassembly is required to access the battery but then...where would be the fun in that....it is supposed to be a relaxing venue and a manner for most to express their creative side...hope you never have to pull the manifold of adjust the valves or maybe pull the distribution tube....walk away for a minute and drink a cup of coffee, when you come back to it...usually always goes better.

• Like 1

I should have introduced myself.  I'm mid sixties.  I love anything old & tinkering.

I've had old cars for over 40 years.  37 ford, 39 Chevy, 40 Pontiac, 46 Chevy, 48 Chevy, 49 Plymouth, 50 studebaker, 50 ford, 50 Hudson, 51 Chevy pickup, 52 Hudson.  I've removed radiators on almost all of them at one time or another.  Luckily I've never had to tear down an engine.  I've done all the normal maintenance & minor repair items, water pumps, carbs, hoses, adjust valves, tune ups, brakes, installed a/c, converted to 12 volts & alternators, replaced both front & rear springs, removed steering box etc.  I'm not a novice, but I'm not a mechanic either.  I also use my cars and I have over 40,000 miles of old car adventures.  Crossed the US 5 times.  That includes road side repairs.  I've only been stranded once.....knock on wood!

My experience has been that asking help from fellow old car people sometimes gets you on the right path.

My son & I looked the Plymouth over for a half an hour.  Came to the conclusion that the hood needs to come off.  Told my son it's time to ask on the forum....then we'll have the right game plan.

Any particular advice is welcomed.  Thank you.

Edited by thekid1950
Misspelling
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, thekid1950 said:

I should have introduced myself.  I'm mid sixties.  I love anything old & tinkering.

I've had old cars for over 40 years.  37 ford, 39 Chevy, 40 Pontiac, 46 Chevy, 48 Chevy, 49 Plymouth, 50 studebaker, 50 ford, 50 Hudson, 51 Chevy pickup, 52 Hudson.  I've removed radiators on almost all of them at one time or another.  Luckily I've never had to tear down an engine.  I've done all the normal maintenance & minor repair items, water pumps, carbs, hoses, adjust valves, tune ups, brakes, installed a/c, converted to 12 volts & alternators, replaced both front & rear springs, removed steering box etc.  I'm not a novice, but I'm not a mechanic either.  I also use my cars and I have over 40,000 miles of old car adventures.  Crossed the US 5 times.  That includes road side repairs.  I've only been stranded once.....knock on wood!

My experience has been that asking help from fellow old car people sometimes gets you on the right path.

My son & I looked the Plymouth over for a half an hour.  Came to the conclusion that the hood needs to come off.  Told my son it's time to ask on the forum....then we'll have the right game plan.

Any particular advice is welcomed.  Thank you.

This is just a stock 49 plymouth right? I did the radiator with Dad 3-4 times on this 50 and I don't believe we ever removed the hood. I know those hoods don't go up that far but I don't think the hood should need to come off. 

I really wish I could relate some real tidbits of info but in all my ownership and such of 49-52 Plymouths, I do not recall any particualr procedure that was difficult.  While I know the hoods are not what you call wide mouthed toads....I still cannot recall difficulties...I would remove the fan just as a precaustion against accidental bumps.

• Like 1

keep in mind that the fan and pump is center to the rad for the most part and that it is also a high mount on the engine.  Once the fan is off and if you feel more comfortable with removing the pump...one you start the readiator lift I think tilting it back over the engine as you go up will allow clearance...but then I am armchairing this one as I no longer have a 49-52 that still has a flathead or stock radiator....

If it's anything like my 51, I'd say it will take an hour and the hood can be left on. As suggested pull the fan and loosen up the generator to slide it out of the way on the driver side. And use an extension with a swivel for the bolt on the passenger side.  as that lower bolt on each side required a bit of finnese to remove. It's a pretty easy job just tight. Hope it helps. 

• Like 1

And you are thinking getting the bolts out can be a challenge, wait until it's time to put them back in!  :rolleyes:

My vote would be remove the water pump with fan still on -way easier in the long run.

Socket (magnetic type is best) and universals and long extensions will get them all out and back in.

My 50 4 dr. radiator replacement was not a fun job but required. Did it by myself and I am not very flexible these days.

Get er done! ;)

DJ

Do you have a 2 piece or one piece hood?  I think '49 was a cross over year and some '46-48 style cars were sold as '49's.  If it's a one piece then the hood can stay on...just a wrestling match getting to everything sometimes.

27 minutes ago, ptwothree said:

Do you have a 2 piece or one piece hood?  I think '49 was a cross over year and some '46-48 style cars were sold as '49's.  If it's a one piece then the hood can stay on...just a wrestling match getting to everything sometimes.

You are right on the crossover year but both styles for plymouths has 1 piece hoods