28 Chrysler 25" Engine tear down and rebuild

maok

On 2/27/2019 at 6:30 AM, Matt Wilson said:

Wow, that looks fabulous!  Right at home in the bay!

I'm not sure about the alternator.

Murphy's law is universal, it always seems to apply to a distributor. 180 degree out, when one hears back fire from the carb and tail pipe.

Well she started with lots of drama, water jacket bolts needed tightening some more, water was going everywhere. But glad to report that there was no screaming and yelling from the engine. 

WoW! How quiet it is to the previous engine. No oil leaks yet, all fingers crossed.

However, my rattling noise is still there....? I can feel it via the clutch pedal and the gear stick. I thought it may have been the speedo cable drive at the gearbox end  but no luck.

I suspect it maybe the tail/drive shaft joints - Ball and Trunion. The rattle is not there when I accelerate but is there when I back off or  at constant speed. I had the real wheels off the floor and it would only make the rattle when in 3rd gear backing off.

• Like 2

Drum roll..................................

Drive shaft had wore inside the pockets of the balls. When I inspected the drive shaft initially, the balls looked GREAT! However, neglected to look inside the cups, which are worn badly. Why do they make the balls from hardened steal and the cups from mild steal? It surely is easier to replace the balls than the cups.

New modern drive shaft (almost a hotrod now) and she is less rattly...lol

Edited by maok
spelling
  • Like 2

Sounds great!  As much as it might be a feat for us with "newer" flatheads to rebuild those and get our vehicles up and running, it surely seems like an accomplishment to do what you have done.  Not nearly as many parts or as much information available.  Great job!  If I was closer to your side of the planet, I would try to drop in for a visit to see it and take a ride (with you driving).

I think it's lost some of its character, not as noisey, and cabin would fill with smoke from the blowby that came out of the crankcase tube, it would distract the brides (I do weddings) from their anxiety.

In 1928 Walter Chrysler said it had 54hp from a 180ci, this motor was bored 0.060" whatever that works out to be,  now it's probably close to that but still needs a good fine tune. Regardless, I can drive it at regular traffic speeds, up-to 40mph, pulls strong. The old motor probably was down to 30hp

Maok.......and with a tailwind and the spinnaker set?.............lol..............andyd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maok said:

I think it's lost some of its character, not as noisey, and cabin would fill with smoke from the blowby that came out of the crankcase tube, it would distract the brides (I do weddings) from their anxiety.

In 1928 Walter Chrysler said it had 54hp from a 180ci, this motor was bored 0.060" whatever that works out to be,  now it's probably close to that but still needs a good fine tune. Regardless, I can drive it at regular traffic speeds, up-to 40mph, pulls strong. The old motor probably was down to 30hp

That sounds like an awesome wedding car!  You can place an oil drip above the exhaust manifold and plumb it into the passenger compartment to keep some of that old distractive character, lol.

7 hours ago, Matt Wilson said:

That sounds like an awesome wedding car!  You can place an oil drip above the exhaust manifold and plumb it into the passenger compartment to keep some of that old distractive character, lol.

Lol!

You can see more pics here,

www.roaringtwenties.net.au

623162522_KATCHERRYPHOTOGRAPHY(2).png.37a8ac9245354761dd68255b78262088.png826227363_MaoibhRussell-30.jpeg.fc003699f6e0beef32ee73ee979548ba.jpegIMG_9851.jpg.c6a518a96352e37d9663666ed033f65c.jpg

Edited by maok
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matt Wilson said:

That is one sweet ride.  Your wedding guests should be very appreciative that they get to ride in such style.

Thanks Matt, the bridesmaids get to push start her...lol

• Haha 2

Man o man!

They could give me a push start anytime, even if I did not need one.  ?

DJ

• Like 1

It's a tuff gig but someone has to do it....?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

After clicking a few hundred miles I thought I would do an update on how the engine is running.

Oil pressure is reading between 20 - 40psi when hot, previously 5-13psi...lol

All the cylinders are about 85psi on the compression gauge.

The vacuum gauge reading 19-20, there is a slight miss fire.

The car has lost some of its vintage characteristics, no smoking and no rattling from the engine.

I can now use the 3 speed gearbox as a 2 speed, 2nd and 3rd only required. It now climbs pretty much any hill effortlessly...:)

The balancer has shifted, so my timing marks are useless. The engine paint I used was a cheap brand and is washing off with oil...:(

• Like 2