28 Chrysler 25" Engine tear down and rebuild

maok

On 1/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, maok said:

Any one have experience with felt oil seals in the rear main cap?

IMAG1649.jpg.09561d8bc09a0876a44a4a4908564f51.jpgIMAG1650.thumb.jpg.fbe77b4322c9a9905d03cb89bab9aa59.jpg

Anyone???

Maok............I haven't any exp with felt seals on mains,  however is it possible to obtain some neoprene strip or such shape and make/cut a seal from it.........I know that the later 23" engine used seals in the same place that were neoprene but fitted into a groove in the block, whereas your pic appears to show the felt inserted into the main cap..............I'd think that felt was the choice due to nothing else being available, well neoprene not being available or invented back then.........if nothing else is available and you end up using the felt would a judicious use of a silicon sealer in and around the felt help to give it some "sealing" properties?..........maybe even make a seal purely from the silicon? with a smear of grease to stop the silicon sticking yet allow it to be removed then trimmed to size............with the mains being poured babbitt have you spoken to the guy that did them and asked him for any ideas regarding a substitution of the felt seals?.....................what sort of seal is the rear main, ie, the one that goes around the crank journal?..............regards, andyd    

Hey mate, thanks for t he reply. The felts are the crank seal, there is no rope seal around the crank like later flathead 6s.

But a good idea about using neoprene strip. I had the idea of injecting silicon while the main cap was torqued down via the gap where the felts is poking out, obviously without the felt in there. I am sure the felt is there to stop oil getting past the main cap but I don't understand why its not in front of where the gasket for the oil sump seals. The ridge on the cap is for the oil sump gasket to seal on.

But the pic you have shown only shows the side or edge of the main cap.............or so it appears........... what does the main cap, ie, the area where the felt seal sits around the crank journal look like?..........and whilst it is good to keep all posts in the same thread it maybe worth starting a thread titled "Felt Crank Oil Seals.....anyone had experience with these?"..........it may ellicite some info/replies and/or help from someone who hasn't seen this thread............also what if any help has the engine reco guys been?..............surely someone has had experience with those felt seals?.............andyd   

These pics may paint the picture a little clearer Andy;

IMAG1456.jpg.8b11fe902465fee7263983c0b614d818.jpgIMAG1366.thumb.jpg.cd5c0420c4c12c51b9d2ead72f31f717.jpg

As you can see there is an oil catcher behind the rear main crank journal. The felts are installed in the main cap on the side between the stud holes. The catch in the main cap returns the oil back into the sump.

Good idea about starting another thread.

Edited by maok

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Are you sure it's supposed to be felt?  Cadillac uses cork, not felt.

Doh! Felt was in it when I pull it apart. Now I'm confused, again.

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Sorry my question was not meant to provoke or confuse. Just wondering about felt sealing ability and difference between makes.

No need to be sorry mate, I don't even know if its suppose to be felt. Both the engines had felt in there. Cork makes more sense though.

23 minutes ago, maok said:

No need to be sorry mate, I don't even know if its suppose to be felt. Both the engines had felt in there. Cork makes more sense though.

Here is PDF pages from Cadillac regarding cork. I hope you find it useful.

Installing Packing For Rear Crankshaft Bearing.pdf

Edited by chrysler1941

By the way I have a scanned copy of 1928 Plymouth Parts List (don't know if they're the same as Chrysler) and there's no mention of felt or cork at main bearings but they do mention cork at camshaft front and rear bearing. Here is the page. 

1928.pdf

Edited by chrysler1941

Thanks again chrysler1941, I believe the '28 Plymouth is a 4 cylinder and completely different engine design.

The Cadillac pdf is helpful.

There is no rear main seal packing on this engine?.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

There is no rear main seal packing on this engine?.

Nope, just an oil catcher integrated into the rear main cap 

• Like 1

Maok..........I spoke to the local bearing & seal shop here in Grafton today, they suggested you contact A & B Seals, 3 Welch St, Underwood, Qld 4117, phone 07 3341 1200......the local shop said that A& B make neoprene seals for them and usually have a turnaround time of a couple of days, they also maybe able to supple generic seal material to size.............call me if you want more info.........02 6642 5963........Andy Douglas 

More progress today. Torqued down all the main crank caps (except the rear) and conrod caps, and inserted the split pins. Mains 50ft lb +/- 2. Conrod caps between 30 -35 ft lb.

IMAG1697.jpg.c61e43f1b1bc13d01afa619572eb8a23.jpg

Still need to make a decision on the rear main cap seal. Felt or cork???

IMAG1692.jpg.8277bb263b8e0839e204c5920ea4efd8.jpgIMAG1693.jpg.b748dfe862663b607664a7ac6f1dca58.jpgIMAG1694.jpg.fe95838bb9fec1ed1db158490f5db15f.jpg

And the new timing chain installed. You can just make out the dots lining up on both the gears.

IMAG1685.jpg.dd9326d6b991bb3ba674ac078293e7bf.jpg

NOTE: For future reference the above timing chain and gear set is from a 1929 series 65 Chrysler, not a series 62

Edited by maok
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:49 AM, maok said:

More progress today. Torqued down all the main crank caps (except the rear) and conrod caps, and inserted the split pins. Mains 50ft lb +/- 2. Conrod caps between 30 -35 ft lb.

Still need to make a decision on the rear main cap seal. Felt or cork???

I am no cork expert but what kind of cork did you use in the picture? The cork I have used on my cars are all brown and not spotted like yours. Is it 100% natural or the artificial they use on wine bottles nowadays. According to Wikipedia natural cork is only native to the Mediterranean. 

Andydodges suggestion using Neoprene will also work. The both have great seal and tear abilities. 

Its just left over rubberized cork sheet that you can buy from any auto store. I used it to make a sump gasket previously.

Anyone have the torque specs for the camshaft bolt for later model mopar flathead 6's?

9 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

No camshaft bolts except 3 for sprocket. If you mean crankshaft bolt, minimum 108 Foot Pound

No, I was referring to the camshaft bolt, but obviously the later model flatheads don't have a camshaft bolt, hence the reason why I couldn't find a spec for it on the www.  Number 3 in the diagram below.

timing chain.jpg