6 volt electrical fuel pump

JIPJOBXX

Looking for information on installing 6 volt  fuel pump on my old Dodge.  Any and all info appreciated.  Got one thing in particular to ask?  The reason I'm installing this  pump as when I start my car if it has sat for more than two weeks I alway haft to prime the carberator.  This is not a hard job but it requires me to open up the hood and take oft the top of the air filter.   Now my question on these inline pumps can you turn them oft when adiquate gas is in carberator and the mechanical fuel pump takes over and still get fuell flow to the carb? Thanks Jon

IMG_2315.JPG

this question has been answered in prior posting about electric fuel pumps.  Yes to your question. Hook the pump as close to the fuel tank as possible. These pumps are setup to push gas and not pull gas like your mechanical pump.  Wire the pump off of the ignition switch and then hook it to a toggle switch so you can flip the pump either to be on when you need to prime and off when the priming has been completed.  

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

for those that can be at times forgetful of switch position..wire in an "on indication lamp" which is often part of the switch itself or set the rig up for use of a momentary switch only where you hold it manually till primed and when you release the switch the pump will remain in the off position..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2017 at 0:09 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

for those that can be at times forgetful of switch position..wire in an "on indication lamp" which is often part of the switch itself or set the rig up for use of a momentary switch only where you hold it manually till primed and when you release the switch the pump will remain in the off position..

With a momentary push switch works great to jsut use the pump as a primer pump, but if your mechanical pump failed and you wanted to use the electric pump to feed gas to the carb just so you can get home or to a location to replace the mechanical pump then you would have to hold the button to feed gas to the carb. Not sure if this type of switch can be setup to work as a momentary switch and a completely on switch.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

For my electric fuel pump, i got a double pole throw switch from McMaster-Carr that was momentary in one position, off at the center, and constant at the other position.   Hold down for prime, flip up if the mechanical pump fails, and center for off.  

To keep the pump from running on if the engine quit, as in an accident, I installed an oil pressure switch to govern the constant-on circuit.  Engine quits, pump quits.

Edited by DonaldSmith
clarification
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

For my electric fuel pump, i got a double pole switch from McMaster-Carr that was momentary in one position, off at the center, and constant at the other position.   Hold down for prime, flip up if the mechanical pump fails, and center for off.  

To keep the pump from running on if the engine quit, as in an accident, I installed an oil pressure switch to govern the constant-on circuit.  Engine quits, pump quits.

Very smart @DonaldSmith

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

With a momentary push switch works great to jsut use the pump as a primer pump, but if your mechanical pump failed and you wanted to use the electric pump to feed gas to the carb just so you can get home or to a location to replace the mechanical pump then you would have to hold the button to feed gas to the carb. Not sure if this type of switch can be setup to work as a momentary switch and a completely on switch.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I only answered Jon's question in the fashion he asked...had he elaborated a bit more to where it could be used a default limp in I would have suggested very switch medium_jon spoke of......none of this is rocker science by any means...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Ply Adams: Part of the original posting stated that he was looking for all any any information regading the electric pumps.I feel that everyones input is valid to help him decide in which fashion he wants to go with the installation.  I was just pointing out that the momentary swith would not be helpful if he was going to rlie on the electric pump to supply fuel if the mechanical pump stopped working.

The forum is to help people with questions and ideas. So if i offended you with my comment I am sorry but just wanted to make sue he understood how the momentary switch only works when the switch in pushed.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

no offense...just recognize the post was answered as asked..anyone can expound on it as they wish..you trying to make my reply look wrong...your first reply was it has been answered here time and again..and note also you did not advise him to wire it to be used both manner, on for limp in and momentary to prime...

this question has been answered in prior posting about electric fuel pumps.  Yes to your question. Hook the pump as close to the fuel tank as possible. These pumps are setup to push gas and not pull gas like your mechanical pump.  Wire the pump off of the ignition switch and then hook it to a toggle switch so you can flip the pump either to be on when you need to prime and off when the priming has been completed.  

rich Hartung

Plymouthy: I gave my side of the information on using a toggle switch to prime the unit. You then added in information about a momentary switch. You did not say how to use a momentary and also a switch that could be a momentary and also full flow switch.  So you did not answer his post completely.  When ever you post a reply I get the feeling that you are the gospel on the subject.  i am not a subject expert but you come off as being one in my opinion only.

I thought you stated in an earller post that you would not respond to any of my posts but i guess you forgot about that.  I was just trying to help jibjob But I get my head hadned to me by alot of the old timers but I guess that is what you guys like to do. This happened awhile back so I do not care what you have to say and this is the end of the subject. If you have a beef with me then be a man and call me and explain what I am doing to offend you persoanlly.

cell 484-431-8157

I appreciate any and all information given on this forium but also as I do not use this site that often I kind of feel like a duck out of water.  Some of my questions are simple and others maybe a little bit more complicated.  So being said Somerimes I feel like I'm being intemadated for not knowing how to use this with all its feature and in's and out's!  It would nice if everyone got in the same boat and was thoughtful about what demeaning words were spoken here.  Jon

20 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Rich, I really enjoyed our phone conservation this evening...speaking one to one takes a lot of miscues out of the written text. 

same here and it was great to talk to you also.

Rich HArtung