Maine in early morning

pflaming

The DNR brought turkeys into WI back in the early 90's. I don't remember there reasoning but now they are everywhere and I have seen them chase deer off my land (turkeys not the DNR) because they compete for the same corn. They are hunted heavily (again turkeys not the DNR) and still way too many.  They are getting hit on the roads and I know of two motorcycle accidents also. I have seen 12-15 babies at a time.   

• Like 1

I was offered a Harley last week in trade for a boat that I'm selling.  I will not ride a motorcycle in Alaska.

1.  Roads are really bad.

2. Moose running around loose.

3. Tourists.

4. Locals that are blind.

5.  3 months riding time if you ride in the rain as well.

6. ROADS ARE REALLY BAD.

• Like 1

I retired from motorcycle riding about 3 years ago....while I still get the hankering for wind in my face....I just roll down the windows and stick my head out...in this area reason #4 above is bad...there seemed like not a week went by in our area someone on a cycle was getting picked off.  For certain, some were their own bad drfiving habits coming into play...many is 'did not see the motorocycle'.  Been many years but I think the first thing you learn in the safety course is, everything is out to get you, second, if up look for the cycle, you will see the car...if not 1 and 2, still right at the top.  The safety course is something I recommend, a real eye opener to prevent the development of some bad habits...I rarely ever rode my bike to work, but if I rode on base at all, the course was required to get a gate pass.  I could count on one hand the number of times I rode the bike to work.

back in the 80's I had a bike that I rode to work on base.  Had to have on: leather boots, leather pants, a jacket, an orange vest, helmet and leather gloves.  Oklahoma in the summer is not a fun place to wear all of that.

Several years ago I took a motorcycle safety course through Montana State University. I thought it was an excellent course. Advanced as well as basic rider courses are available.

I put an H.I.D. bulb in place of the original in my headlight and, knock on wood, so far it has seemed to help with tremendously with being seen in the day time. At night it's fabulous! I still ride like they're out to get me.

Wild turkey were on the decline in Maine many years ago, to the point that no hunting of them was allowed.  Due to robust conservation efforts, turkey are back on Maine's wild game menu for the past few years.  There's fewer of them the further north you go, still working their way up here, but we still see them on a regular basis.  A pair of them that aren't afraid of people hangs out at the northbound Medway rest area on I-95 during the winter. 

IMG_0114.JPG

If you lived in Vermont, you could score a nice Thanksgiving turkey from your living room window. They had almost vanished but were reintroduced 20 - 30 years ago. It's been a big success.

Vermont turkeys.JPG