Driveshaft update

JOHN EDGE

Just wanted to report that I installed an updated driveshaft in my 52 suburban from the  driveshaft speciality guys in Texas.  Their shaft comes with spicer type u joints and bolt on flanges for the  transmission and rear axle.  The slip yoke is located now at the rear axle.  From the seat of the pants evaluation there's an improvement on driveline smoothness above 60 miles per hour.  Like the modern u joints and grease fitting for the slip joint.  Nice guys to work with

john edge

• Like 2

John, just curious as to why you installed the slip yoke at the rear...........I'm no mechanic but I have always thought that the slip yoke went on the front, although I suppose that there probably isn't a specific reason for this, just its the way I've always seen it..............but as there should be a 4 bolt flange at both ends it can go on either way............andyd  

I would think with the splines at the rear, they would catch more mud and crud that if they were tucked up behind the.transmission .

John, do you have an itemized list of the components used?

I also think the slip at the rear would catch more dirt possibly causing premature wear. What was their thought on that?

I discussed this with the guys at the driveshaft shop and their reasoning was the shaft runs truer at the rear

seems to work well. The cost was about 450 with everything new. Shaft/2 ujoints/ 2 flanges / slip shaft w grease fitting

12 hours ago, Silverdome said:

John, do you have an itemized list of the components used?

I also think the slip at the rear would catch more dirt possibly causing premature wear. What was their thought on that?

Check out these links.  I'm going to talk the guys at AA Driveline.  They're less than 10 miles away.

http://www.aadriveline.com/Driveshafts.php

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p2471_dana_spicer_2_2_349_dodge_flange_yoke_replacement_for_old_de.html

Spicer 2-2-349.PNG

On ‎2017‎/‎06‎/‎04 at 3:20 AM, JOHN EDGE said:

Just wanted to report that I installed an updated driveshaft in my 52 suburban from the  driveshaft speciality guys in Texas.  Their shaft comes with spicer type u joints and bolt on flanges for the  transmission and rear axle.  The slip yoke is located now at the rear axle.  From the seat of the pants evaluation there's an improvement on driveline smoothness above 60 miles per hour.  Like the modern u joints and grease fitting for the slip joint.  Nice guys to work with

john edge

I used these fellas for my 65 Chevy truck when we put in the Astro T5.  Perfect drive shaft, no issues, fast and fair pricing.

Will use them again for the 37 Dodge. 

Beats the heck out of the old dodge ball and cup joints.  No maintenance, no leather, no vibration and no failures.