broken speedo cable

PT81Jan

broken speedo cable

Just had done a thoroughly maintenance on my truck, did a ride around the block and happy that everything works as it should … what the heck is that ??? The speedo pointer did not a twitch anymore … sh:cool:

The speedometer cable was broken. Not that big problem if you have a shop with a spare part around. I do not have that and since I was impatient anyway, I checked if the cable can be repaired. Fortunately the inner diameter of the cable sheath is large enough that it is possible to fix the cable with a tube [1].

Installed the cable, did a test. Crack !! ?? Took out the cable, it was broken at the same place. Next attempt, same effect… next attempt, same result. (How many attempts does someone need until the light in the head is on …:D)

Checked then the speedometer mechanism. The drive was completely blocked ! Removed the speedo, let the drive soak with WD40 for some minutes[2]. After that the drive did move already quite passable. Let drip a little precision mechanics oil into the drive (sleeve) and run the speedo with a drilling machine (counterclockwise !) for another 5 minutes [3].

Everything is working well again.:P

Just a recommendation to also check the speedo drive to avoid duplicate (or triple...) effort, or even damage a new cable of which you were glad to get it !

speedo_cable1.jpg.7a1fc21684d0479841a797eff6905c14.jpg

speedo_cable2.thumb.jpg.90cde7467eb5860b598d5a31a8a4a5a4.jpgspeedo_cable3.JPG.c79e63bff6b7922286affe777a560c58.JPG

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 1