Scary weekend

greg g

I have debated making this post, but I decided to pass on an experience over Memorial Weekend in hope that other folks in my age group 65 +, will not have the same problem. On Friday afternoon I was finishing up a lawn mowing session by reattaching down spout extensions. Bent over, got a weird feeling.  Vertigo, blurred swirling vision, loud noises in my ear, like being in an MRI machine.  Didn't fall and banged on the house to get my wife's attention.  She came out and assisted me to get to the deck and sitting down.  She dialed 911 and the local ambulance paramedics arrived.  I was transported to the emergency room.  They diagnosed a TIA or mini stroke and set about doing what needed done, after about 20 minutes the symptoms reoccurred in earnest.  Seems that I had transitioned to an actual stroke.  They got me to the Stroke Center, found and removed the offending clot using the catheterization technique.  After about three hours, l found myself in ICU doing neurological checks every ten minutes or so. Long story short, I am a very fortunate, thank full, old dude.  No defecites in speach, movement, vision or other ill effect's.  Discharge instructions are to do follow ups, andt to resume normal activities as tollerated.  Like I said very lucky, very grateful for level of expertise available.  Guess it is true that God watches over fools and drunks.

So guys, as I look back at some other incidents, it is clear that in the past two or three years I have had more than one of these traneient instances of fuzziness, a bit of wonky vision, and some tripping and near falls that weren't attributable to my normal lack or graceful athletic movements. If you even suspect that you aren't 100%, put down the tool, pick up the phone and call 911.  Seconds count!!! May you be as close as I was to expert help and great facilities. Don't be a bonehead like I was in ignoring the situation.

End of soapbox.  Enjoy the upcoming weekend.

Greg G

• Like 5

Greg, I am glad to hear expert medical help was close at hand for you and responded in a timely manner. Take care guy.

Several months ago, I was in the basement workshop and thought clearly that I had to to to the next room and get the tool tote that I had left there.  I thought it clearly, but could not express the thought in words!  I went upstairs and silently got my wife's attention.  After a few moments I could speak, but with some lingering problems.  The doctor called it a TIA, transitory ischemic accident, an obstruction like a clot that passes clear.  He prescribed a full aspirin per day, to thin the blood, and ordered an MRA for that night.  I had to have my head examined.

At the MRI site, they put me in a loud tunnel that buzzed and snapped.  They checked out my head, but couldn't find anything.

I had trouble saying words.  The prefix would be right, but the rest of the word would be way off.   Now I find I have to pause for the right word to pop into my head, and sometimes the wrong word will pop out, to be corrected immediately.  Aside from that, my brilliance is unimpaired. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the good wishes.  I have been on aspirin and plavix for several years as part of my cardiology program after a heart attack in 2001.  Hypertension is a nagging concern so a new med for that too.  Guess this makes it twice I have starred into the abyss and been able to look away.  It seems all my new friends are doctors. Finally getting the gist of life, cardiologist, urologist, rheumatologist, neurologist, Audiologist, allergist, etc.

Seriously you want to avoid these Tia things, if you even suspect you have had one get checked out. Don't take a loss of balance, a bit of loud ringing in your ears, a dizzy spell, a sudden sweat, sudden lack of coordination or muscle control for granted.  If you don't know what caused it, have it checked out.  If not for your peace of mind, do it for your family.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I still have some effects from my TIA.  I might have to stop talking and wait for the next word to come.  Sometimes I have to throw in synonyms as "place keepers" until the fifty dollar word pops into my mind.  Or I might misstate the words. No political intent, but recently I spoke of "classical" materials rather than "classified" materials.  I described vintage cars as being "erotic" rather than exotic".  

Greg jus wondering how you are feeling now?

I am on the following meds since my heart attack in '12 and valve job this past Dec

Metoprolol tartrate 50 mg twice a day

Furosemide 20 mg twice a day, but now down to once a day

Atorvastatin (Plavix)

20 mg   but a 1/2 tablet so it would be 10 mg now

pacerone 100 mg once a day, it did start out at twice a day this is one where I have to have my eyes checked at least once a year

warfarin sodium 7.5 daily as directed, but I have to have it monitored by blood tests to make sure my blood doesn't get too thin

and last but not least, a baby aspirin once a day

• Like 1

We are job security for the big pharma companies. Feeling OK, been bouncing around between doctors for followups.  Only lasting effects are visual.  Floaters and after images at the edge of vision, and some dizziness from the new blood pressure med which has been doubled since first prescribed.  Since dizziness was the major symptom of the situation, it is worry some when it starts.  But bp is 130/83 down from 142/90 couple weeks ago. No thinners yet, but things do change.  One plus, lost 13 pounds.

• Like 1