Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

All of the gas stations in the little towns on the way home were closed.  Daughter and I had to use the bathroom something fierce so we ended up at Stumpy's Bar in Rushford, MN at 12:30AM :P

Here's a pic when we were leaving Stumpy's.

The things I enjoyed the most were:

-Hanging out with my family and watching my kids play and have fun with my friend's kids.

-Talking to people about my car and their cars.

-Jabbering with my buddy while John Travolta attempted to sing.

-The drive to and from the event, which by the way my car ran excellent, no problems.

July 8 2017 Spring Valley Car Show and Drive-In (17).jpg

Edited by Worden18

Okay back to posting after 2 episodes of Penny Dreadful on Netflix :D

July 9:  Started out the day with the breakfast buffet at Elsie's Kitchen in Caledonia, MN.  There happened to be an early 60s Bel Air in the lot that looked very original except for the wheels.

Elsie's.jpg

Later on in the day just wifey and I went out for a cruise.  We drove over to Rushford (only 15 miles from our house), parked in this lot and walked the bike/hiking trail for while and made a loop back into town.  Long distance shot of my car.  I zoomed in a bit...

Rushford and scenic overlook (4).jpg

After ice cream at the Creamery we drove up to a scenic overlook that we had never previously been to.  We spotted the signs the other day on one of the back roads that leads out of town.

Rushford and scenic overlook (3).jpg

The views were excellent :)

The place with the red roofs is an 1850s farmstead.  It has been nicely kinda sorta modernized with tin roofs and some steel siding, but the original stone house is really nice to see.  I'll snap a pic of it the next time we take that road.

Rushford and scenic overlook (6).jpg

Edited by Worden18

After hanging out at the overlook for a while we stopped at Subway to eat.  As always a lot of people looked at my car on their way in and out, including kids, so that's nice to see they are interested.  The guy that made my sandwich said he liked my car :)

The drive home was fun, I was in that 48mph zone the whole way.  I hated to put the car away.  Promise I will have it out again tomorrow though! :D

Rushford and scenic overlook (5).jpg

Today (July 11) my son and I visited the "junkyard", which is where a friend of mine lives out in the country.  He has an army of old trucks.  This old C-700 Dodge up until just last week had 4 flatbeds stacked up on it.  When he sold one of those flatbeds (the bottom one of course), it made me take a look at this truck again.  It is for sale, and I remember about a decade ago he had it for sale and there were no takers.  Kinda sad as it is virtually rust free and has a halfway decent paint job.  I don't think he's run it in the last 3 or 4 years maybe, but I think with some fresh gas she would fire up.  I love the swing out fenders.  At some point I'm going to probably pick one (of his several Dodge trucks that he has sitting around) and just bring it home.  What's one more thing lying around my property? :)

At_Junkyard_with_Cole_July_11,_2017_(4).jpg

When we go there this cat always follows my son around.  Abbie is her name, and she hangs out in the shop, usually sleeping on an old chair.

At Junkyard with Cole July 11, 2017 (3).jpg

Later in the evening we drove to Harmony, MN (about a 45min drive) to the Jem Theatre for their Tuesday night throwback movie, which was the 1956 musical "The King and I" starring Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr.  We parked around the corner from the theater.

Outside_Jem_Theater_Harmony_MN_July_11_2017_(2).jpg

Today we got a nice break from the 90+ degree heat; it was only 77 for a high. :)  So I used the Meadowbrook to take my daughter back and forth to her summer rec classes in town at the grade school.  I had some other errands to run so I ended up going back and forth 6 times LOL, but it was fun because I was driving the Meadowbrook.  We live about 5 miles out of town.

One of those 6 times I had to make a run to the hardware store.  I parallel parked the Meadowbrook (perfectly I might add :D) right in front of the Legion as two gentlemen whom looked to be in their 70s were coming out.  They praised my park job and then had to look over the car.  One of them knows a fellow who MIGHT be a son of the original owner of my car.  He frequents the Legion, so he took my name and number and promised to call if the guy IS actually the son.  I do have a phone number of another gentleman who also might be a son of the original owner.  I had been meaning to call and find out.  Reason being is I would like to know if they would be willing to share any stories/pictures/memories of the car that I can add to my scrap book or just share with people when they ask about the car.  

One of the Legion gentlemen I was talking to was telling me about 50 years ago he bought a decent running 48 Dodge Limo for $30.  Yes, $30.  Its not the first time someone from the generation before me has told me about buying 40s and 50s cars in the 60s and 70s for less than $50; and good running cars at that.  Anyway, he said he put $3 worth of gas in the car on his way home, so he had $33 into it.  Before he even left the station a guy asked him if he wanted to sell it.  He told the guy "well I have $33 into it" and the guy offered him $33 and he took it!  It was the shortest time he had ever owned a car; he only broke even LOL :P.  That was 50 years ago.  Thought you guys would like that story.  I asked him to confirm that the car had the jump seats in it and he said yes.

Pic: at home before one of my "runs"

Our barn is from the 1880s.  I've been working on it to undo some of the previous decades neglect.

July_13,_2017_(2).jpg

Edited by Worden18

Later after dinner wifey, myself, and the dogs went out for a long cruise.  The dogs fell asleep in the back seat and my wife nodded off as well.  The car sounds like a lazy sewing machine so it kinda makes the passengers sleepy.

We never reached the cloud bank in the picture, which was okay by me. :)

July 13, 2017 (1).jpg

• Like 1