Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

We went out to eat at noon.  Later my friend showed me what he had been talking about as far as my blinkers and tail lights needing to be "grounded".   I hadn't understood what needed to be grounded where.  Now I do, and I will fix that tomorrow.  Been having problems with blinkers and lights not being bright enough, etc.

random_Meadowbrook_July_2017_(4).jpg

Later on after my son and I got home, wifey and I went out for a drive.  She drove. No better car to learn a clutch than one with Fluid Drive!  :D

It was fun to ride as a passenger for once.

Frances driving July 25 2017 (2).jpg

Frances driving July 25 2017 (1).jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Tonight my son and I wanted to fix this grounding problem with the blinkers.  The right front blinker was so dim the only way to see it flash was at night.  Same with the left rear blinker.  Also, the left front blinker would blink at the same time as the right one when you wanted just the left blinker.  

Well, I did a temporary hillbilly fix and it worked.  I'll keep an eye on it to see how long it lasts before I have to do the job right LOL.  I know I should've run a wire somewhere to the body from each light socket assembly.  For now on the rear tail light I used a screw to ground it, and on the front one I used an industrial copper staple. :P

I still need to run a ground wire from the gas tank to the body or frame as I believe that is the problem with my fuel guage.  It was working before the new tank was put in.  

In the second picture you can see where the metal is creased and wrinkled underneath the light assembly where Ray Sebo's (original owner) wife Charlotte had crashed the car into a stump (back in the late 50s) and messed up the front bumper and passenger side fender.

grounding_problem_fix_(2).jpg

grounding problem fix (1).jpg

Edited by Worden18

After my son and I checked all the blinkers and brake lights with the headlights on and off and found everything worked great (for the first time since I've owned the car I'm embarrassed to say) we loaded the dogs and all 6 of us went for a night ride.  It got dark about halfway through the cruise.  I like the last picture; it was dark and there were some scary clouds lit up by the fading sunset.

Car ran great, it was a fun time. :)

night drive to Rushford July 26 2017 (2).jpg

night drive to Rushford July 26 2017 (3).jpg

night drive to Rushford July 26 2017 (4).jpg

night drive to Rushford July 26 2017 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Went out for a 50 mile cruise tonight (July 28th) with wifey.  Earlier we took the dogs and kids with on a shorter trip.  It was such an awesome evening for cruising.  I just don't think it could get any better.  Some pics:

cruisin July 28 2017 (1).jpg

Had my car up on my friend's hoist today.  Put on a new fuel pump, and also ran a ground wire from the gas tank to the frame hoping that would solve my fuel guage woes. It didn't work :(

I also readjusted the brakes and tightened up a few bolts including one of the valve covers that was leaking.

Drove through a monsoon on the way over there; wipers couldn't keep up! :P

image.jpg

• Like 1

My friend is working on his 64 1/2 Galaxie, which would still be in his father-in-law's shed had I not encouraged him to get it going.  Looks really nice inside and out but has been sitting for a number of years.  Needs a full brake job. 

image.jpg

I like that 2 post lift!

Your dodge looks period correct on it.

• Like 1

I also wanted to share a little story with you guys.  Yesterday (Aug. 2) I drove the Meadowbrook into town to pick up a few things at the hardware.  When I was walking into the store a gentleman was approaching me from across the street and asked, "Is it a 49 or a 50?"  I told him a 51.  He then replied, "My Dad had a 49 Plymouth...what a dog that car was!  But in '56 when I was a junior in high school he bought a new Dodge, that sucker would go 90mph in second gear!"

He was laughing the whole time he was telling me this.

Later in the evening we went to an outdoor concert (awesome jazz band) and afterwards a woman complemented on the Meadowbrook and started asking questions.  Her teenage daughter was very adamant in letting us know how much she liked the car.  I was surprised but very happy that someone 30 years younger than me really liked the Meadowbrook.  The darn thing just keeps attracting attention!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Worden18 said:

My friend is working on his 64 1/2 Galaxie, which would still be in his father-in-law's shed had I not encouraged him to get it going.  Looks really nice inside and out but has been sitting for a number of years.  Needs a full brake job. 

63 1/2 Galaxie

13 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

63 1/2 Galaxie

Thanks for the correction.  Not a big Ford guy. :P

My friend wasn't even there.  He let me into his garage remotely from his vacation destination...Michigan

First time I had seen the car since he pulled it out of storage. :)

Earlier in the day (Friday Aug. 4) we took the Meadowbrook to Winona so my son and I could get haircuts.  My barber had been wanting to see my car so it was a good visit telling him the car's history.  After the barber we stopped at the liquor store for wine and the clerk commented on the car.

Later in the evening I adjusted the carb a bit and cleaned the bugs out of the oil bath.  Then wifey, doggies and I went out for a cruise.  Been having beautiful cool weather in the 70s lately.  Once again all riders were lulled by the engine and slight vibration of the car. :P

Also, for the first time, on the Interstate today I let 'er rip and drove it 70mph for about 7 miles (to our exit).  It didn't fluctuate in temperature and it surprisingly ran very smooth and didn't feel like the engine was screaming.  My original owner's manual says the car can be run at that speed...well I ran it and it did just fine! :D

cruisin' Aug. 4, 2017 (5).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2