Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Mayhem:

Pic 1:. We stopped at "Mangos" in Winona, MN for dinner.  We were starved!  

Pic 2:. Finally home.

It was about a 200 mile round trip.  Car ran great, got lots of looks.  Talked to a few people about it when we weren't walking around.  People always seem to like the hood ornament, and the originality of the car.

While at the event we enjoyed home made ice cream, fresh kettle corn, browsing through the vendors' things, seeing folks dressed up rockabilly style, and talking to people.  The vintage campers were going to have trick-or-treating through their area later in the evening. 

I'm embarrassed to admit I forgot to snap even one photo of the campers.  Must've been 25+ of them.

IMG_20190914_181600665_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190914_202509626~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

9-28-19:

Out for a cruise tonight at dusk.  Perfect weather; about 60 degrees and no wind.  Turned on the heat for a bit.  I like to have my window open a bit with the heat on low.  Good mixture of heat and cool air battling each other.  25 mile round trip to the Travel Plaza (fancy name for the Sinclair gas station... they have a restaurant there too) to visit a friend who was working there.  He's one of the guys that helped me pull the engine and put it back in.  He was happy to see the Meadowbrook.  

Couple pics while warming up.

IMG_20190928_182833205_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190928_182817329_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

9-28-19:

At the Travel Plaza.  We grabbed some mini pizzas and a drink (my 2 older kids rode along).  The truckers like to stay overnight.

Pic 2: My friend's camper.  He keeps it parked there because it's fun.  And his son owns the Plaza ?

Pic 3: Ready to take off.   The bright light is a street lamp.  We cruised at 45-50.  On the way home a group of farmers were by a field road after harvesting soybeans.  They waved.  It was dark by then.  I wondered how the Meadowbrook looked in the dark.  It was a nice, peaceful, toasty ride.  Just the way I like it ?

IMG_20190928_190704737~2.jpg

IMG_20190928_193554040~2.jpg

IMG_20190928_193535104~2.jpg

• Like 2

The penetrol has definitely lost a lot of it's sheen.  It's still somewhat holding up though.  I have not reapplied it.  But for the $8 that it cost me to put it on the first time, it's definitely worth it. ?

Edited by Worden18

9-30-19:

Drove my daughter to a neighboring town for a hair appointment.  It was a good cruise for us.  Warm today, above 80.  50s the rest of the week; that's more my kind of weather.  

When we arrived back in our town we hit Dairy Queen.  After sitting in the car for a bit and enjoying our ice cream, the owner came out and asked me what year the car was, and said he really liked it.  He also made the comment that I must be happy that I could get the car out and drive it today, probably meaning that I could only drive it if it's above 75 degrees and sunny LOL. I told him I drive it all the time. I bet he'd never guess that I drove it when it was 33 below zero!

IMG_20190930_192031638~2.jpg

IMG_20190930_192751157~2.jpg

IMG_20190930_200539533~2.jpg

IMG_20190930_200616218~2.jpg

• Like 3

Oct. 4, 2019:

Warmed up the Meadowbrook to take my daughter to the homecoming game.  Cranked up the heat!  I would've taken a longer drive but I worked on my truck and got that running, which I really had been wanting to do.  After the game my son and I picked her up.  My son keeps telling me he can't wait to drive.  I remember that feeling!

IMG_20191004_185227887~2.jpg

IMG_20191004_185709196~2.jpg

IMG_20191004_190117238~2.jpg

• Like 1

Oct. 6, 2019:

Took the kids out for a short cruise around town at dusk.  Someone had a really nice Hudson Hornet out cruising.  I couldn't snap a picture of it.  

Here's my car warming up. ?

IMG_20191006_182511687~2.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday, October 12, 2019:

Chilly 28F this morning?

Meadowbrook fired right up.  I cranked the heat.  Had to use the car for a little work this morning.  Hauled recyclables.  The back doors actually open far enough to stuff in the huge plastic tub we use. Fall colors are about at peak around here. 

Warming up by the awesome maple. 

IMG_20191012_085312642_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

Oct.12:

At the recycling place. Hauling stuff in the backseat reminded me of some guy I ran into that told me back in the 50s his dad had a Meadowbrook or a Coronet when they lived on a farm. Since they didn't have a truck they removed the back seat and hauled their milk cans into town with the car!

Yes that's a big hunk of rust hanging down. ?

IMG_20191012_091057484~2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. Some great pics of the fall colors and your Meadowbrook on your property. Your personal refuge looks very peaceful and beautiful. How very fortunate. The Meadowbrook looks right at home there too. You've inspired me to take my old girl out for a drive today. The foliage is turning nicely here too. 39 F here this morning. At this time of year the heater in these old cars brings some sort of magic to a cruise I can't explain. So cozy. So relaxing. Like a heated warm blanket somehow.  I am excited now to get out. I will also post some pics on my thread!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Oct.12:

At the recycling place. Hauling stuff in the backseat reminded me of some guy I ran into that told me back in the 50s his dad had a Meadowbrook or a Coronet when they lived on a farm. Since they didn't have a truck they removed the back seat and hauled their milk cans into town with the car!

Yes that's a big hunk of rust hanging down. ?

IMG_20191012_091057484~2.jpg

My grandparents had a 1950 Ford Custom (4 door) when they were first married and the house they lived in didn't have running water and there was no well on the farm property. My grandpa removed the back seat and would haul water for their drinking water in cream cans with that car. I have hauled water in 10 gallon cream cans and they are not light by any means! I can't imagine wrestling them in and out of the back seat of an old Ford.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Oct. 12:

On my way out with the recyclables. I found out my emergency brake needs a little adjustment.

IMG_20191012_090001329_HDR~3.jpg

I have to echo what Keith said - your car looks right at home here! Like a step back in time. We are still getting some snow up by Osakis this morning...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Car ran good as usual.  I might take it out later for a night ride ?

IMG_20191018_175012917_HDR~4.jpg

What a perfect shot! Enjoyed working on my neighbor's '49 Plymouth today while he is away in Florida. He said if I work on the car I can drive it, so you bet I will!

• Like 2