Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Sure is great on these summer nites,out crusing in an old car. 87 F this evening here at 9pm. I got home from a vintage car club meeting. My wife said “let’s go for a walk.” I said, “let’s go for a drive!” She relented. Off for ice cream  and a cruise through our old neighborhood.  Not quite dark yet when we pulled the hill back home.  

Gotta love summer nites  in an old Mopar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Elder said:

If you get ice cream every time you go for a drive you are going to need to go for more walks.....lol.

I've been getting my miles in at work!?

6-13-19:

My son and I picked up my daughter from the public pool, drove her home and then cruised out on Hwy 10 at 55mph.  Round trip about 25 miles.  After cruising around town at 15mph, 55 seemed really fast.  My son took the pic. 

When we were cruising around town some kid walking down the sidewalk said to his dad, "Look! An old Dodge."

IMG_20190613_212653215~2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

6-28-19:

Cruising around town with the kids tonight.  They were at camp all week and missed their little sister, and the Meadowbrook too. ?

My son snapped these two photos.

Some guy yelled "nice car!" from his yard as we drove by.  I honked and waved.

IMG_20190628_204056274~2.jpg

IMG_20190628_204126560~2.jpg

6-29-19:

The kids and I took a cruise on the highway tonight.  We stopped at the car wash first, then on to Amish Ovens (truck stop owned by a friend) for gas and snacks.  

It was super hot and muggy today, but the cowl vent did a nice job.?

IMG_20190629_201639616_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190629_201626745_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

6-29:

On the way home I let my daughter drive.  She's 13.  She did surprisingly well and kept the car at about 45mph.  I helped her shift to get us going, and sat next to her just in case we needed an emergency stop or steer.  This was the second time she has driven the Meadowbrook. ?

IMG_20190629_202406404_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190629_203558548~2.jpg

• Like 1

6-29:

Drove by a friend's house and he had his Caddy Hearse out, which he drives quite often.  It's a 1970 model.

We started talking about caskets and death, and I told my kids that in my written will I'm leaving the Meadowbrook to my youngest daughter (she's just 4 months).  They both got mad and I just roared with laughter! ?

IMG_20190629_205048775~2.jpg

• 1 month later...

8-1-19:

I'm still here fellas!  Been super busy at work and with the sale of our home. The closing is over, now I should have more time to do the things I really want to do, like work on the Meadowbrook and the 48 B1D. 

Anyway, tonight was another driving lesson for my daughter. I worked the accelerator while she did the clutch pedal and shifted through the gears to get us going.  Then she traveled about 40 to 45 miles an hour for about 8 Miles and then came to a stop on the side of the road, pushed in the clutch pedal, put the car in neutral, and pulled the ebrake. She's doing better each time. 

She doesn't want to drive any of our other cars. Just the Meadowbrook!

IMG_20190801_194826128~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 3

Really fun thread! Going to go through it all as I have time. Driving these old cars is so much more enjoyable than anything "modern". Can't wait to get my '49 Plymouth back - hope it isn't too long. I'm in central MN if you're ever in the area.

Edited by tjlarson88
mispelled word
  • Thanks 1

Really awesome the kids love the old Dodge... hope it stays in the family for generations to come.?

• Like 1

GREAT thread! I spent too much time reading all of it between last night and this morning ?. If you ever get up to Osakis you should stop for ice cream at the Tip Top. I get a few comments when I take my ‘52 Merc to town. Now I’m extra anxious to get my ‘49 Special Deluxe back! Changed the coil this morning while my mechanic is on vacation. Had to be content with smelling the interior of the car today instead of being able to drive it. 

You live in an area that is perfectly suited for drives in a classic car! SE MN IS beautiful. 

Looking forward to following this thread. 

• Thanks 1

I've been off this site for awhile and am glad to catch up on your Meadowbrook adventures!  It hot as heck in Oklahoma right now, so I have my Meadowbrook and 50 Dodge pickup in the garage under car covers except for very early morning drives to keep everything circulated and charged up.  I haven't yet caught up on the status of your truck but I think you might be surprised as I was that while the Meadowbrook always got lots of attention, the truck really draws a crowd.  Not sure why.....the car is just as nice as the truck?  I really enjoy them both equally.  The Meadowbrook with Fluid Drive sure feels like driving a new Cadillac though after a 20 mile trip in that one ton truck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

8-25-19:

Drove the Meadowbrook to a local show because it was free, and no judging.  About 70 cars showed up.  There were just as many tractors, plus a petting zoo, bouncy houses, model train displays, flea market, food vendors, and an hour long parade.  The weather was perfect. My car and this 58 truck were the only Dodges from the 50s.  Sound familiar?

IMG_20190825_120528740_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20190825_121524199_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1