Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

There's something about old cars in the fall.  I've taken the D24 into town many times, with occasional waves or thumbs-up.  Drove it in on a nice, clear, multi-hued, crisp day last week, and could barely get out of the Post Office parking lot for the admirers.  Probably half of them were commenting on how "proper" it smelled, inside and out.  I was in no hurry, so I didn't mind, but hadn't thought about the "well seasoned" aroma for a while.  And it's just simply a pleasure to tool around in it with no agenda other than enjoying autumn.   

Thanks for continuing to share your adventures and trips with the Meadowbrook!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

October 30th:

Gave my son a driving lesson again.  Like I've said before, what better way to learn a clutch than with fluid Drive! I sat right next to him and did the accelerator and the brake. He took the emergency brake off, operated the clutch, put it into gear, and steered the car. What a great father-son moment! 

IMG_20181026_170527966~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Dec. 7th:

4am- Meadowbrook warming up for the drive to work.  -2F.  Two pumps full choke and she fired right up. Heater worked great even though some air gets in through the holes in the floor and through the old weather stripping.  

IMG_20181207_040115397~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dec. 18:

Clear roads and a warm day.  Perfect for a drive to work!

Picture number one: filling up at the gas station at 4:15 a.m.

Picture number two: first one at work, parked next to the shop plow truck.

Heater worked great as usual, I didn't even need it on the way home. ?

MVIMG_20181218_041634821~2.jpg

MVIMG_20181218_045328899~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18

Saturday Dec. 22:

Clear roads and about 25F here today, so the Meadowbrook has not been put away for the winter.  My family and I piled in and away we went. ?

Pic 1: warming up by the garage.

Pic 2: ready to pick up the family by the house. 

IMG_20181222_151949024_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181222_152221704~2.jpg

Dec. 22:

Our boxer "Brandi" was really sick so we had to put her down about 3 weeks ago. She could not walk and did not have any control of her bowels.  It was a sad day. On the bright side, we adopted this little coonhound named Jojo just yesterday!  She is about 35 lb and is a very sweet little dog. She and our male boxer get along great!  They have already snuggled up together a few times just since yesterday. They both rode in the car very nicely.

IMG_20181222_152254235~2.jpg

MVIMG_20181222_152624623~2.jpg

Dec. 22:

We drove about a 60-mile round trip and stopped at Subway along the way.  The Meadowbrook ran great and the heater worked awesome as usual.  I called it the Christmas Cruise. ?

IMG_20181222_152707357~2.jpg

IMG_20181222_161050352~2.jpg

I clearly recall riding home from church in the Nebraska winter in the 46 Chevy four door SEDAN. It's heater was under the passenger side seat. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Christmas Eve: 

On the way home my daughter wanted to drive.  She's 13 and has not driven any car yet. Why not start with the Meadowbrook? She did pretty good. I sat next to her to help with the controls. She drove it three miles home! ?

IMG_20181224_152127993_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181224_151628043_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

Worden, love that last pic with the hills and sky in the background........your daughter looks like she's getting the hang of the car, and that pic from Subway, you really do get some snow.............anyway have a great Xmas and a happy & safe New Year.......regards from Australia.......Andy Douglas

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Worden, love that last pic with the hills and sky in the background........your daughter looks like she's getting the hang of the car, and that pic from Subway, you really do get some snow.............anyway have a great Xmas and a happy & safe New Year.......regards from Australia.......Andy Douglas

thats nothing compared to a normal winter! My yard is mostly bare right now usually it'd have a foot or so of accumulated snow. 

• Like 1

Worden, you inspired me to take the Meadowbrook out for a drive today. I haven’t driven it in 2 months but it started right up and the heat worked great. Drove all over the state. Took some friends with me. I always say that the Meadowbrook is the best car to learn how to drive on because the fluid drive won’t stall if you don’t operate the clutch right. Sadly nobody around me wants to learn how to drive it so I don’t get to ride passenger. On a side thought, any guess how many ‘51 Meadowbrooks are still out there? I don’t hear many stories of them. 

B43A4435-AC56-4B3A-997D-BFEB9D3D1F5E.jpeg

Edited by 51_Meadowbrook

8 hours ago, 51_Meadowbrook said:

Worden, you inspired me to take the Meadowbrook out for a drive today. I haven’t driven it in 2 months but it started right up and the heat worked great. Drove all over the state. Took some friends with me. I always say that the Meadowbrook is the best car to learn how to drive on because the fluid drive won’t stall if you don’t operate the clutch right. Sadly nobody around me wants to learn how to drive it so I don’t get to ride passenger. On a side thought, any guess how many ‘51 Meadowbrooks are still out there? I don’t hear many stories of them. 

B43A4435-AC56-4B3A-997D-BFEB9D3D1F5E.jpeg

Hey 51, happy to hear that I helped inspire you.  We have to drive these cars and enjoy them, we really do!   What state are you from?  Also, I couldn't take a guess on how many Meadowbrooks are left.  Probably more than you think are tucked away.  That's what happened to my car....for 40 years until I bought it, fixed it up and started driving it.  Maybe someday we'll meet up and cruise together.  

I’m in Rhode Island so that’s a little bit of a drive. Mine started its life the same green as yours. Then spent its days in a barn in New Jersey from 1973 until 2013. A stuck valve, fuel, oil and new battery and it started right up. 

• Like 1

New year's Eve 2018:

Drove my daughter into town so she could hang out with a friend.   Got a few smiles and waves from fellow drivers and also a few astonished looks. The roads are clear so it's not a big deal. To tell you the truth I'd like to drive the Meadowbrook in deep snow to see how the fluid drive does.

IMG_20181231_113458609_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20181231_110303860~2.jpg

• Like 1