Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

May 10: 

So right after work I drove  to my friend’s shop and we get it up on the hoist.  We were able to bleed the brakes correctly (it needed that) and then I adjusted the brakes a bit on all 4 wheels.  I also snugged up a number of bolts and wiped off some excess oil drips.  We ate lunch and then parted ways.  Stopped at the school on the way home to pick up the kids.  They were excited to see the Meadowbrook.  110 miles logged today! 

8E636A17-82EE-4B52-9BA3-2D288127666A.jpeg

• Like 2

May 10:

Final stop at the library.  Now headed home.  Beautiful sunny 65 degree day!  

Lots of smiles and people pointing at the Meadowbrook. ?

59A3D85E-09D2-447F-BFAF-2E308B5A5EDC.jpeg

• Like 1

@Worden18 I am interested in learning what technique your friend used to bleed the brakes. We you in the car pumps while he cracked lines? or did he use some type of vacuum system?

We did an awful lot of brake pumping and line cracking over here. I was drafting my wife, son, anyone,  to get in the car and pump. Over a period of a couple evenings.

21 hours ago, keithb7 said:

@Worden18 I am interested in learning what technique your friend used to bleed the brakes. We you in the car pumps while he cracked lines? or did he use some type of vacuum system?

We did an awful lot of brake pumping and line cracking over here. I was drafting my wife, son, anyone,  to get in the car and pump. Over a period of a couple evenings.

Keith, I pumped the pedal and my friend cracked the lines.  The driver’s front was the only one that needed quite a bit of pumping.

08499F86-DDA3-4E95-BCC8-22288E6B4481.jpeg

Friday, May 11:

You can tell by our attire how cold it is here in MN today.  40s and rainy.  Cranked up the heater in the Meadowbrook and drove into town to JT's Bar and Grill for supper.  A friend snapped this photo for us.  

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

6723F0E3-9192-4856-B001-063496C48457.jpeg

Friday May 11:

After the plant sale we stopped at the grocery in a neighboring town for a few things.  Some little kids that got out of that gray van on the end were pointing at the Meadowbrook and saying "Mommy, look!" over and over again.  At least they noticed!

Edited by Worden18

C8D17C81-E7AA-47C0-BF09-5425B2F9D8C4.jpeg

Here's the heat shield I finally got around to installing, if you want to even call it an install LOL.  Its just a leftover piece of pre-formed aluminum from work that just so happened to fit perfectly in there without me having to modify it at all if you can believe it.  It actually fits fairly tight, too.  The only thing I did to it was put that aluminum block on top that has a recess underneath for the distributor vacuum advance line.  I drilled some holes through and put a nut and bolt in each one to keep the heat shield in place just in case it might decide to work its way out from vibration, etc.  It will stay attached to that hard line now, so I won't have to worry about it flying out and hitting the fan or something.  Seems to work so far.  I think it is helping with the fuel percolation, but I have other issues that are contributing to hard starting after letting the car sit for 5-10 minutes, like my crappy carb and my timing is off as well.  The car seems to start a bit better now, though.  Before the heat shield it would crank and crank and crank before starting again after that 5-10 "fuel burnoff" period.  

Edited by Worden18
  • Thanks 1

D73937C6-2466-4EFE-8689-AA54C1571097.jpeg

Friday, May 11:

A final black and white photo.  At home unloading groceries and plants.

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JerseyHarold said:

Just a thought....I'd be careful with that plastic fuel filter being near the exhaust manifold.  A metal one might be a better idea.

Agreed.  I will probably change it out when I do a tuneup in the near future.  Its been on there for almost 7,000 miles now and no problems.  With the new heat shield it should be protected a little better as well.  ;)

John, 

When you are having hard starting issues when the engine is hot, are you holding the accelerator pedal to the floor

(do not pump) to get extra air into the cylinders ?   This seems to work pretty well on my car.

3 hours ago, wldavis3 said:

John, 

When you are having hard starting issues when the engine is hot, are you holding the accelerator pedal to the floor

(do not pump) to get extra air into the cylinders ?   This seems to work pretty well on my car.

Hi Bill, I haven't tried that at all.  I feared flooding it.  But I guess if I don't pump it....

I usually just leave the accelerator alone when starting.  I will definitely try this and let you know how it works.  Thanks for the tip!

5 hours ago, Niel Hoback said:

WHERE ARE THE DOGS?  You shouldn't leave part of the family at home when you go out to play.

Don't worry, we'll take them for a ride tonight, or later tomorrow for sure!  ;)

5 hours ago, Niel Hoback said:

Mine did that too, until I put a new coil on it. All fixed.

I know its not the coil.  Its a 40,000v part of the electronic ignition kit. :D

80B02EAB-0F29-4E92-A355-3717D537321C.jpeg

Saturday, May 12:

Out for an evening cruise with the kids and the dogs, too.  It started to rain when I was warming up the car, but that's never stopped us before.  The dogs were so happy to go with!  Our male boxer (Mack) ran as fast as he could to the car and jumped in.

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

1A750559-AD07-40C0-B060-0C458EC6532E.jpeg

May 12 cont:

Stopped at Subway for supper.  The dogs kept their eyes on us from the car.  Had to use the wipers and heater.  Both work very well.

Edited by Worden18