Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Next we drove to Stockton, MN to fill up with gas.  On the way out of the station this guy came across the street.   He asked what year my car was.  He thought it was older than a 51.  He started asking all kinds of questions and listened closely while I explained to him everything I knew about it.  He also told me about one of his motorcycles, which is a 1970 BSA Thunderbolt.  

http://www.britcycle.com/Bikes/DShakespeare70Tbolt.htm  Here's the model of bike he has; I didn't get to actually see his.  

Anyway, I popped the hood and showed him pretty much every inch of the car except for underneath LOL.  We talked for about 20 minutes.  My son was by my side while my wife and daughter read their books.  The dogs laid quietly on the floor.

Sept. 30 2017 outing (19).JPG

Next we stopped at a boat landing on the way to Wabasha, MN.  Before we even got parked a woman stopped dead in her tracks to stare at the Meadowbrook.  I pulled up alongside her and she said her dad had a 49 Plymouth that she used to drive in high school.  She mentioned that it had the push button start and wanted to know if the Meadowbrook did.  I told her its a key start just like her modern car.  

The kids got to throw some rocks in the river and we took in the great scenery.  The landing had a plaque that listed about 10 different kinds of ducks that could possibly be spotted in that area.  

Sept. 30 2017 outing (20).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (1).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (2).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (3).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Next we stopped at Nelson's Creamery for ice cream.   Wifey and I each had a bowl of sea salt caramel.  Kids had chocolate.  There was quite a number of classic cars driving by and in the parking lot.

Sept. 30 2017 outing (6).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (7).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (8).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (9).JPG

• Like 1

Almost forgot, we picked up some 7 year aged cheddar cheese, crackers, and red wine at the Creamery as well.  

Last stop was Sub-Zero pizza joint in Houston, MN for a carryout.   It was simply awesome, and we opened the wine to drink with the pizza instead of saving it for the aged cheddar.  Well, we didn't drink it all!  :P

Put 170 miles on the Meadowbrook.  Pics are of the countryside looking out from my garage right before I put the car away.

Sept. 30 2017 outing (12).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (11).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

I truly enjoy this thread. Once my knee has healed, you have inspired me to take short trips to close by points of interest. There are many and I'm going to duplicate your methodology. Just so inspiring, with a good old car, who needs Disney Land? 

The pic is such a drive 180 miles RT to have lunch with a MOPAR friemd

IMG_6711.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Then, about 2 miles from home the Meadowbrook started to sputter.  My heart jumped a bit thinking I have a new problem on my hands and we are going to be stranded.  Turns out I was right about being stranded!  Of all things I ran it out of gas!  :D

My guage is on the fritz again, but I always log my fill-ups on my phone with the mileage, etc.  I read it wrong before we drove to church.  Thought I had only 100 miles on the tank, but it was actually 200 miles.  Good thing was that we were close to home, it was sunny and warm (after having 4+ inches of rain the last three days) and one of our neighbors picked us up after we had walked less than half a mile.

Wifey and I went back into town with one of our other cars to get some gas.  The Meadowbrook fired right up after I put a couple gallons in the tank.  From now on I'm taking one of my spill-proof cans with in the trunk.  Either that or I need to learn how to add LOL.  

Reminded me of back in the 70s my old man used to run out of gas all the damn time.  We even ran out of gas on our pontoon one time in the middle of a lake.  Luckily we had paddles with!

outta gas! Oct. 8 2017 (3).JPG

outta gas! Oct. 8 2017 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Oct. 8 cont...

Wifey and I took the dogs with on a late afternoon cruise to Rushford for ice cream at the Creamery.  Then we walked on part of the Root River Trail.  As you can see I have my gas can in the trunk now LOL! :P

Oct. 8 2017 (4).JPG

Oct. 8 2017 (3).JPG

• Like 1

Poochies were having fun.  When we were about to leave our male boxer was really whining, wanting to go with; which little did he know we planned on taking him.  He just wanted to make sure we didn't forget about him.  He loves to put his nose by the window and take in the smells.  When he's had enough of that he lays quietly on the seat.

Oct. 8 2017 (1).JPG

Oct. 8 2017 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Worden, you might want to rethink the gas can in the trunk. In the event of a rear collision, your kids are four feet from the gas and possible sparks. Nuff said.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, if your Plymouth hits empty somewhere near a gas station, an empty gas can in the trunk can be very useful as you make your walk of shame to the station.  I have found that at times it may even save you from making an embarrassing call to your spouse.  

• Like 1

Deep in our family history is the tale of the time our father ran out of gas in his 47 DeSoto Suburban full of kids.   We were traveling at night, and the nearest gas station was closed.  My dad borrowed a small, enameled potty chair, and headed to the station.  He returned with the potful of the necessary essence to get the car running.  Then he proceeded to the station, and since the pump was left on, he filled the tank.   Being an honest man, he slipped the dollar and change under the door of the station.  

Nothing too exciting tonight, but at least wifey and I got the Meadowbrook out for a ride.  We drove over to the Houston Nature Trail to take a walk.  It was a perfect night for a short cruise, and for a casual stroll on the trail.  The fall colors are really starting to look nice around these parts.  :)

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (4).JPG

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (5).JPG

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (6).JPG

• Like 1

It was getting dark by the time we made it back to the car, and I was wishing I would've worn my winter hat!  I really need to install the aftermarket heater control valve I got in the mail the other day.  Tomorrow just might be the day for that.  :D

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (1).JPG

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (2).JPG

Oct. 12 2017 walk Houston Trail (3).JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oct. 20

Fired up the Meadowbrook to pick up the kids from school.  In the hours before that, I was cutting wood on the neighbor's property and stumbled upon this old Ford car or truck axle.  Pretty cool to see.  There was also some very old farm equipment sunk into the earth as well.

October 2017 fun stuff (6).JPG

October 2017 fun stuff (5).JPG

026.JPG

Driving into town I spotted this pretty nice 56 Chevy parked on Main St.  I always like the 56 the best out of the 55-57s.  Back in the 70s one of our neighbors had a 56 that was Aztec bronze and white.  He had bought it new and always kept it garaged.  Once in a while he'd give my Dad, brother, and myself a ride.  

Pic #2: kids eagerly heading to the car.  

024.JPG

025.JPG

We stopped at the market for a few groceries.  A guy I never seen before walked up to me in the store and said he liked the old Dodge and wanted to know what year it was.  He commented that it was nice that we seemed to take it out to do every day things, like go to the grocery store.  I told him we've put on 6,000 miles since May.  He seemed happy to hear that.  Just passed the 68,000 mile mark on the car.  It had 59,125 miles on it when I bought it back in March of 2016.

027.JPG

• Like 1