Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Sept. 17

Been a week since we had the Meadowbrook out, for a couple reasons I suppose.  Been super busy cutting wood for the winter.  Also, on the way home from the show last weekend the car developed a slight exhaust leak somewhere, and I hadn't time to look at it.  Crawled under there today and saw that I am actually missing one of the bolts that holds the manifolds together.  Not sure what size those bolts are....I'm debating whether I should take another one out to check the size; could I do that or would it damage the gasket?  The car isn't too noisy, but its not quiet like it was.  Plus, a number of other exhaust nuts were loose.  Shame on me for not checking those over weeks ago.  Lesson learned.  

We took the car out for a short cruise this afternoon to the trail head park in Houston, MN for the dedication of some new playground equipment for the kids, including an awesome zip-line.  In the parking lot was a nicely restored Buick Century convertible.

On the way home we stopped for a snack at the gas station. :)

Later, wifey and I drove back into town for burgers and drinks at JT's Bar and Grill.  Watched a little football on the big screen and enjoyed the food...

Buick convertible (2).JPG

Park dedication (2).JPG

Park dedication (1).JPG

JT's Bar.JPG

Edited by Worden18

You're missing one of the 4 that hold the two manifolds together? I'm 99.9 % sure you'll find that it's broken off and not missing. Very common on these. If you want to fix it right I'd pull the manifold set and work on it off the car. Use lots of heat to try and remove the other 3. Then hopefully there is some of the broken one left above the surface. You can weld a nut to it or cut a screwdriver slot in it to try and get that one out. 

14 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

You're missing one of the 4 that hold the two manifolds together? I'm 99.9 % sure you'll find that it's broken off and not missing. Very common on these. If you want to fix it right I'd pull the manifold set and work on it off the car. Use lots of heat to try and remove the other 3. Then hopefully there is some of the broken one left above the surface. You can weld a nut to it or cut a screwdriver slot in it to try and get that one out. 

Thanks for the advice Ed.  I will double check it again tomorrow.  I guess I'd be surprised that it would be broken off since all 4 bolts were new 5,000 miles ago.  The other 3 were somewhat loose when I checked them, and I tightened them up.  I stuck a smaller bolt up in there, and it went it deep.  I guess that doesn't mean its not broken off high up in there.  I'll keep you updated.

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Thanks for the advice Ed.  I will double check it again tomorrow.  I guess I'd be surprised that it would be broken off since all 4 bolts were new 5,000 miles ago.  The other 3 were somewhat loose when I checked them, and I tightened them up.  I stuck a smaller bolt up in there, and it went it deep.  I guess that doesn't mean its not broken off high up in there.  I'll keep you updated.

Well that changes things! If they were new that recently you might be lucky and one just fell out. Hope that is the case.

That 1928 Chrysler is a Model 52 as far as I know, we had a car show this past weekend here in Grafton put on by the Vintage car Club and there was a similar car there, a Model 52 with an Australian built Roadster body by T J Richards who were bought out by Chrysler in the 1930's and became Chrysler Australia, my 1940 Dodge was also built by them........unfortunately I didn't take any pics, but that curved radiator surround is a distinctive Chrysler shape and it seems like it has the Chrysler badge still attached.............your Dodge looked quite at home with the other Mopars on display.............hope the exhaust manifold bolt issue is o/k.........if you haven't pulled an exhaust/intake manifold off one of these make sure to note where every nut/stud comes from in the specific order as some go into the water jacket and MUST have the threads coated with a sealer like Permatex otherwise the will leak..........also get some copper based thread goo to use on the 4 bolts that hold the intake/exhaust together if you think that you may have to do this job again.........lol...............I think they are 5/16 UNC with 1/2" heads and 3-3.5 inches long.............I have enjoyed your sojourns, many thanks........Andy Douglas       

• Thanks 1

Okay I got the exhaust leak fixed.  Thanks Andy Douglas, that indeed was the right size bolt for the manifold.  Also, thanks YoungEd for the advice.  Taking it out for a cruise in 20 minutes :)

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Okay I got the exhaust leak fixed.  Thanks Andy Douglas, that indeed was the right size bolt for the manifold.  Also, thanks YoungEd for the advice.  Taking it out for a cruise in 20 minutes :)

image.jpg

Still waiting for you to venture a little further north!

• Like 3

Sept. 21

Wifey and I packed up the dogs and drove to the Nature Trail in Houston to take a walk.  Earlier in the day I used a towel to wipe the dust off the car.  Wipes easily off the Penetrol finish.  Although some of the sheen has definitely faded, I can see maybe applying the Penetrol twice a year max.  Maybe once a year will do.  Since I applied it late in the season this year and it seems to be holding up well, I probably won't apply it again until next spring/summer.  

These 2 pictures were taken just ten seconds apart; funny how the light works sometimes.  

Its been hot here lately, with more on the way (this weekend calls for 3 days of 90+ degrees), but the car ran good and sure sounds better with that exhaust leak fixed.  

With the heat upon us, I probably won't drive it until later in the evenings when the sun goes down.  :)

Oh!  I almost forgot.  I sold a truck of mine today to a guy that was in his 60s.  He had to take a look at the Meadowbrook since he's a big Dodge guy.  He said his dad had a 49 or 50 Desoto.  When I showed him the smashed up bumper on my car (the original owner's wife drove it into a stump back in the late 50s) it sparked a memory for him.  He told me HIS mother did the same thing with his dad's Desoto.  She didn't drive....smashed up the front bumper, his dad got pissed, and she NEVER drove again after that!  Damn we had a good laugh over that one.  :lol:

Sept. 21 Houston Trail (1).JPG

Sept. 21 Houston Trail (2).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Sept. 23

Out for a short 10 mile round trip tonight; burgers and drinks at JT's Bar & Grill in Houston.  So good!

pic 1: before we left

pic 2: back home in the garage

40mph felt right tonight. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

The  Knee replacement had me awake so I got caught up on your posts. What a treat and my knee did not complain the entire time of over an hour. I truly enjoy what you are doing, nice an u nassuming, just having fun with your. Car and family. Question, is there an entry fee at all those car shows or just great community gatherings? Most all out here are $30 donation fees.

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

The  Knee replacement had me awake so I got caught up on your posts. What a treat and my knee did not complain the entire time of over an hour. I truly enjoy what you are doing, nice an u nassuming, just having fun with your. Car and family. Question, is there an entry fee at all those car shows or just great community gatherings? Most all out here are $30 donation fees.

Glad you've enjoyed my posts. :)

Around here about half of the shows so far were free; they are really counting on people to attend.  The other half were usually a $10 donation that would go to listed charities.  I personally am not paying more than that to enter my car in a show.  

Sorry about your knee!  Get better...

Wifey and I waited until this evening for it to cool down a bit before taking a cruise.   We packed up the dogs and drove to Rushford and back, about a 35 mile round trip.  Not much for traffic, and it was just what I needed to relax.  Seems like for the time being my fuel guage is finally working properly for the first time since installing the new gas tank and sending unit earlier this summer.  I'll keep an eye on that.  

Pic 1:  before we left

Pic 2:  getting dark along the way

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (2).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (3).JPG

• Like 1

As I've said many times before, the dogs love to go with on rides.   Our female started off lying on the floor, but then she moved up onto the seat.  They wanted to see what was going on when I was filling up with gas and cleaning the windshield.  :)

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (6).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (7).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (9).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (4).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (5).JPG

• Like 2

While cleaning the windshield I noticed that the lights in the above canopy were perfect for bringing out the patina on the hood and fenders.  You can really see the paint strokes on the hood.  Every time I see that it makes me wonder who the guy was that painted the car, and how many of them he painted in his career.  

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (1).JPG

Sept. 24, 2017 cruise to Rushford (8).JPG

• Like 1

Last night I ordered an aftermarket heater control valve.  Gonna need my heater around these parts soon.  It'll cost me over $100 to get the original one rebuilt, so I'm not in a big hurry for that.

Went out for a 35 mile cruise tonight.  It was just what I needed to cap off a good day. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

Sept. 30:

What a beautiful Saturday here in southeastern MN.  68F was the high today with a slight breeze and scattered clouds.  Started the day by picking apples at a friend's place.  Not sure what kind they are, but they are crisp and a little bit tart.  We took 22 apples, and believe me the four of us will eat them all.  :)

Sept. 30 2017 outing (13).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (14).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (15).JPG

Sept. 30 2017 outing (16).JPG