Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

8 hours ago, Worden18 said:

I thought this VW camper bus was really cool.  The side tailgate on the passenger side was open.  Looked more like a cargo area to me without a mattress.  Unique, anyway.

Spring Valley A&W Aug. 17 (19).JPG

See the tricycle on top? It will go up a hill faster than the VW !

Ahhhh, Saturday morning! Hot cup of fresh coffee and a new post from Worden to read. Interesting treatment on your Dodge. Let us know how long it lasts, sure looks good now. I rubbed my '39 down with scotchbrite pads and water. Really cleaned up the paint. It now has a shine, but not as much as yours. I wonder about doing the scotchbrite, and then doing the Penetrol? As usual another interesting post from Worden. Just thinking, maybe we should all chip in a buck for gas to keep him going!!!

• Like 1

Yes, doing the same thing. Cup of coffee and the latest Worden road trip. Sure a bunch of cruise-ins and get togethers in those small midwest towns. Keep 'em coming. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

have you ever looked closely at the VW transporter rear axle setup? put these on the tricycle...it could climb a tree

No sir, have never worked on, or inspected one. But I am old enough to remember when you they were a common sight on the roads of America. OMG, you did not want to be behind one in hilly country. If in the mountains, stop for lunch and you would catch him before the summit. Seems like I remember hearing they had the same engine as the he car. Several times I was behind one with the whole family and all their camping gear aboard. Often wondered why VW was allowed to put such a seriously under powered vehicle on our roads.

8 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

No sir, have never worked on, or inspected one. But I am old enough to remember when you they were a common sight on the roads of America. OMG, you did not want to be behind one in hilly country. If in the mountains, stop for lunch and you would catch him before the summit. Seems like I remember hearing they had the same engine as the he car. Several times I was behind one with the whole family and all their camping gear aboard. Often wondered why VW was allowed to put such a seriously under powered vehicle on our roads.

can't see it any worse than tail gating a PINTO.............:eek:

now these same folks drive a huge self propelled motor home, dragging a huge boat or SUV behind it....slowing up motorists as they try to see the scenic side of America.....same scenario, just more money pushing the same dream..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

11 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

can't see it any worse than tail gating a PINTO.............:eek:

now these same folks drive a huge self propelled motor home, dragging a huge boat or SUV behind it....slowing up motorists as they try to see the scenic side of America.....same scenario, just more money pushing the same dream..

I have no doubts that a Pinto would pull out and pass a VW Microbus. They were as bad as I described. Know what you mean about the motor homes. Bright side is more of them are turbo diesel powered, and do a respectable job. Another sign of management getting farther ahead of the time clockers.

Paul small correction on your posts about Mare Island- There is no (S) on mare as you posted several times.

It was last used as a Submarine repair facility. They built subs there for many many years.

Closed-non active at this point. State may buy it someday.

DJ

13 hours ago, pflaming said:

I just finished a catch-up read on your car. Yes, an old car with original paint turns heads. My '53 Suburban is very close to driver status, not show time status, but driver. The front  bumper has this naval base sticker. Mares Island north of Oakland, CA. Once road worthy I plan on driving to their historical museum to see if we can locate the sailor who drove it to work. The poor pic is mine the good pic is to show a good one. Maybe some the owner became an Admiral and would like to buy it back! 

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

Hey Worden, saw this setting downtown. Guess the owner brought it out for the 4th of July parade and hasn't put it away yet. Thought you might like to see another Meadowbrook.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

Hey Worden, saw this setting downtown. Guess the owner brought it out for the 4th of July parade and hasn't put it away yet. Thought you might like to see another Meadowbrook.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is awesome, thanks for posting! A Gyro-Matic...interesting.  I have yet to drive a car with that setup.  Where is this car?

Aug. 20

Day 2 of the Penetrol application.  With the help of my son we finished up the rest of the car.  It turned out pretty nice, better than I expected.  The stuff looks wet even when its totally dry.  Within about 4 or 5 hours its finally not tacky anymore.  I'm going to leave it overnight  just to make sure.  Of course a ton of bugs in my garage got caught in the stuff while it was still wet.  No biggie I guess.

Here's what I've found out about applying the product:

-I would say use a foam brush and not a regular paint brush.  Seems to go on smoothly if you go the right speed and apply the right pressure.

-It sets fairly quickly, so if you run the brush over what you just applied, it will make little bubbles and also what looks like brush strokes.  

-I've found that you need a generous amount on the brush for each stroke because its best to try and make it the length of whatever panel you're applying it to, i.e. run the length of the hood instead of stopping in the middle.  If you stop, you can see marks where you start again.  But you can't put too much on otherwise it will run and make bubbles.  Trial and error to get the right amount on the brush.

-Can't apply it too fast.  Nice even medium speed strokes with moderate pressure works well.

Here's a shot of the rear fender done, but not the trunk yet.

Penetrol Day 2 application (2).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

All done....

I guess the next step is to get it out on the road and see how it holds up to the weather.  I'll keep you guys posted. :)

If applied just right it really makes a nice shine, almost like a clear coat.  Certainly not as durable, but easy to apply and doesn't cost much.  I think I used a 1/3 of a quart.  I think I paid $18 for the quart.

Penetrol Day 2 application (7).JPG

Penetrol Day 2 application (10).JPG

Penetrol Day 2 application (9).JPG

• Like 1

After my son and I finished the car, we got out the John Deere so we could haul away brush while the car dried. :D

We have an enormous wall of bushes between our house/yard and the highway, and they needed trimming.  

My son drives the loader (even though he's only 7) and does very well.  Of course I'm sitting right there so I can brake, steer, or shift to any gear if need be.  He can operate the bucket, too.  Its awesome to watch him operate it; he has to sit on the edge of the seat to reach the pedals LOL.

Cole driving JD Aug. 2017.JPG

JD ready to haul brush (3).JPG

JD ready to haul brush (1).JPG

JD ready to haul brush (2).JPG

• Like 1

Drove into town to buy stamps at the P.O.  This was after the eclipse peaked, but the sky was still dim.  

Got quite a few looks from eclipse onlookers outside of the bar.  Hope they didn't go blind from staring at my shiny paint! :P

image.jpg

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun,

But Mama, that's where the fun is.  They were blinded by the light, reved up like a deuce, you know like runners in the night.

Neat to see you and the family having such a good time discovering the simpler things in life in the old Meadow Brook.  Out P15 has the same effect on our dog, she loves to be out and about in Kate. In fact she gets excited to goferaride, she runs to the door barking every time I start her up.

Just spotted the deal about the keys.  My dad had a 41 Dodge which he traded to the local Dodge,  Desoto dealer for a 49 Meadowbrook fastback  ( the first car I have a memory of) he traded that in 56 for a 54 Meadow Brook two tone green four door.  I remember those keys attacked to a cardboard merchandizing stand, along with dealer installed accessories like backup lites, cigarette lighters, under hood and trunk lites, vanity mirrors, Pocking gas caps, dashboard compasses, and rubber bladed clamp on fans.

When the salesman delivered the car, included was a set of those keys, which he said were presented to Preferred Customers,  whichwe bacame with the third car purchased at the dealership.  It got things like a wash with service, two dollars off an oil change and grease job. Two cents off gas when filling up at the Sunoco station across from the dealership, discounts on MoPaR branded wax, carwash, radiator flush, wiper blades  etc.products purchased at the parts counter. Dad really thought that was special.  He bought at least three other cars there before they got bought up and moved.  Always wondered if people who bought the keys yot the same discounts???  Great deal for three bucks.  Maybe the preferred customers were marked like the ones you showed??

• Like 3

22 hours ago, greg g said:

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun,

But Mama, that's where the fun is.  They were blinded by the light, reved up like a deuce, you know like runners in the night.

Neat to see you and the family having such a good time discovering the simpler things in life in the old Meadow Brook.  Out P15 has the same effect on our dog, she loves to be out and about in Kate. In fact she gets excited to goferaride, she runs to the door barking every time I start her up.

Just spotted the deal about the keys.  My dad had a 41 Dodge which he traded to the local Dodge,  Desoto dealer for a 49 Meadowbrook fastback  ( the first car I have a memory of) he traded that in 56 for a 54 Meadow Brook two tone green four door.  I remember those keys attacked to a cardboard merchandizing stand, along with dealer installed accessories like backup lites, cigarette lighters, under hood and trunk lites, vanity mirrors, Pocking gas caps, dashboard compasses, and rubber bladed clamp on fans.

When the salesman delivered the car, included was a set of those keys, which he said were presented to Preferred Customers,  whichwe bacame with the third car purchased at the dealership.  It got things like a wash with service, two dollars off an oil change and grease job. Two cents off gas when filling up at the Sunoco station across from the dealership, discounts on MoPaR branded wax, carwash, radiator flush, wiper blades  etc.products purchased at the parts counter. Dad really thought that was special.  He bought at least three other cars there before they got bought up and moved.  Always wondered if people who bought the keys yot the same discounts???  Great deal for three bucks.  Maybe the preferred customers were marked like the ones you showed??

Interesting what you had to say about the keys.  So far (before your statements) I was unsure if keys like that were actually distributed by dealers or if they were an aftermarket thing only.  I guess they were both.  In the case of my keys, I think the original owner (Ray Sebo) bought them (or earned them ha ha) from the Chrysler Seifert Baldwin Dealer (Winona, MN) as his name is STAMPED on the back of the medallion.  His address was scribed on back of one key with a precision engraver, which he certainly did himself at home because it wasn't very precise. :P

Thanks for posting this as it is very interesting, and its now something I can refer back to.  Kinda makes my set of key more than a novelty; I wonder if the original owner had bought other cars from that particular dealer before, or what the story was behind it.  I guess I could call his daughter again, but I'm guessing she wouldn't know as she was pretty young when he bought the car new. Her stories came about more from the late 1950s.  

Here's a couple pics in case anyone missed these in earlier posts:

Altura Centennial Park (1).jpg

Original keys 51 Dodge (1).jpg