Me and the Meadowbrook

Worden18

It's great to see that you're getting use and enjoyment from the car.  That's what they were meant to do.

Other people have the same idea.....My daughter saw a Meadowbrook today minding its business parked at the curb in lower Manhatttan.   It had current plates and is serving its owner in NYC.

• Like 3

I'm envious of the nice cool weather you get to enjoy your road trips (cool compared to Oklahoma/Texas anyway).  I took my Meadowbrook to the gas station Sat morning and it was like driving a convection oven.  However, we see very little if any snow/ice in the winter so I get my road trips done then.

• Like 1

Treated ourselves this evening to a 3 hour drive in the Meadowbrook.  We were never more than 20 miles from home, but we took a number of back roads (paved) that we hadn't been on before.  I like the country scenery with all of the old barns and hidden junkers poking out of the weeds.  I mostly drove 40mph.

July 1 2017 ride in the country (6).jpg

• Like 3

The doggies came with; our female boxer was leaning her head against the seat and she had her eyes closed.  The sound of the engine and the slight vibration always puts them to sleep.

July 1 2017 ride in the country (8).jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

We didn't expect to see anything else in the sky after seeing that hot air balloon, but about 15 more miles behind us and this popped up.  I thought it was someone skydiving at first, but when we got closer we could see his contraption was motorized.

July 1 2017 ride in the country (2).jpg

We stopped at a Kwik Trip not for gas this time, but a snack.  A guy approached me and asked if my car was a '52.  I told him 51.  He said "you don't see many old Dodges", and I agreed, then he told me he liked it.

Kind of a crappy pic, I was walking when I snapped it <_<

July 1 2017 ride in the country (3).jpg

By the time we got home it was after 9:30pm, so the last 20 min or so of our trip I turned the lights on.  I always like to look at the simple dash lit up...

July 1 2017 ride in the country (4).jpg

Edited by Worden18

I remember riding in my dad's DeSoto at night.  The illuminated instrument panel was reflected in each side window, sloping up an angle, from my viewpoint as a kid   It was a magical time. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
  • Like 3

Happy Independence day to everyone.  I started out the day by doing a little maintenance on the Meadowbrook.  I finally got the right wipers for the car and installed them.  Even though we had been through some storms while driving I hadn't used the wipers at all since I bought the car over a year ago :P

I was surprised to find out the wipers have only one speed...

new wipers.jpg

Also, my antenna was loose and had been flopping all over the place.  What a terrible devil to get at without removing the hood and hinges, but I got it because my hands aren't too big.  My car came with radio delete by the way :D

tightened antenna.jpg

I run one license plate on the back of the car, which isn't even legible until you're like 10 feet from it, then maybe you can read it.  Cops never look at me anyhow.  But I wanted to have a different plate on the front (nope, I don't care if its illegal or not), and since I'm a Desert Storm Veteran, I found this nice VFW plate with some great patina.  I'll run it until the cops tell me otherwise.  :P

VFW plate.jpg

• Like 2

We drove the Meadowbrook to a neighboring town about 40 miles away for the fireworks.  Earlier in the day I adjusted the timing a bit (it was way too advanced) by ear (my timing light is broken and I need a new one).  Car seems to run much better and start better as well.  I'll have to fine tune that in soon when I get my new light.  

Anyway, I drove 55-60mph to keep up with traffic and the car ran really smooth.  Bright lights work great; I think I could see better than with the lights on either of our newer cars.  

Fireworks in Harmony July 4 2017 (1).jpg

Can you spot the Meadowbrook

The final 15 miles home there was no traffic so I drove 40mph.  Good thing, too because I had to stop for 2 different families of raccoon and I almost hit an owl, too!

The car is running superb, I love it :)

Fireworks in Harmony July 4 2017 (2).jpg

Tonight the local community hosted the Jim Busta Band (Polka) at the park bandshell.  They put on an hour and a half performance.  Dogs laid quietly and listened, and the kids got root beer floats. :)

The lead singer/trumpet player/keyboard player has received national recognition for the last 5 or 6 years; she had a voice that would melt you in a second!

July 5 Jim Busta Band (2).jpg

Hey fellas just wanted to share today's Meadowbrook moment.  No special event or gathering.  Wifey and I drove into town to get groceries.  Yep, that's it.  Normally it would be uneventful and well, unfun.  But since I had the pleasure of driving the Meadowbrook then it made everything alright.  It was 92 degrees and muggy as all hell here today.  I like to take the car out on these hot days to reaffirm that it won't overheat.  Ran 180 degrees or less the whole time.  I don't post my adventures on any other social media other than here; I know you guys support my extensive posts even if I do repeat myself often.  :)  I guess one of my goals is to maybe inspire people to drive their old Mopars more often than they do, for any reason at all.  Even to just get groceries...

First pic: outside the market

getting_groceries_(6)_July_6_2017.jpg

• Like 1

At home after we unloaded.  I have a lot of tools and other things in the trunk so we put the groceries in the back seat and on the floor :P

getting groceries (7) July 6 2017.jpg